Welcome to the new forum! Here's some tips and tricks

On 03/10/2020 at 22:18, LightBulbFun said:

Hey @tobyd I notice it seems with the latest forum update (with the switch to the new theme?)

it seems max image resolution/size for new image uploads has been set to a small default or such

I was wondering if this could be set to a larger size as it makes it obscures important details in photos

I have reduced this down to 1280px square which should be adequate for 99% of images on a regular display. If you need to have 4k / 2560px images you'll need to host them on an image host or out of onedrive / drop box or something.

10 minutes ago, tobyd said:

I have reduced this down to 1280px square which should be adequate for 99% of images on a regular display. If you need to have 4k / 2560px images you'll need to host them on an image host or out of onedrive / drop box or something.

ah thats a little bit of a shame, when possible I always like to upload pictures directly to the forum im posting them too

as history has shown that external hosts are not very reliable over time!

even when sharing someone else's photo if its from an external host say on flicker or such, ill download the image and upload it to the forum (of course linking to the original ) just so incase anything happens to the host I got the image from, it does ruin the post etc

(the forum previously was set to 2000px I think which seemed to be a good compromise? its not the first time this issue has cropped up LOL) 

as a side note that text eating, text editor bug is still present 

Is 1280px good enough for a calendar picture?

I think that should be the baseline, because otherwise we run the risk of crappy calendar pictures.  Disclaimer: I don't know how much we're paying for storage.  It's all very well saying storage is cheap in theory, but the practicalities aren't always the same.

54 minutes ago, tobyd said:

Ah right - is this why it's no longer possible to upload any images above 1.4MB using a mobile device?

I know the site resizes pics on upload, and that works fine for me in terms of resolution - but ever since the site changes I've found that any images larger than 1.4MB just hang as 'uploading'. Ultimately I have to exit out of the thread, then go back into it and try to reload my text before I can proceed. I don't seem to have an option on my phone to resize pics beyond simply cropping them, or even see what size the image is before uploading (although it seems that's a  phone limitation - Nokia 8.1 running Android 10, using Firefox 81.1.1).

I do a kind of liveblog/virtual car boot sale on a Friday morning for the Shite in Miniature thread at a local market, and it's gone from taking me about 15mins to upload pics of what's on the stalls to over an hour to mess about cropping and recropping pics to get them to upload, along with text. I appreciate that's not necessarily a function that the forum's geared towards, but I've been doing this for a few years now and I'd hate to have to call it a day.

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

I know the site resizes pics on upload, and that works fine for me in terms of resolution - but ever since the site changes I've found that any images larger than 1.4MB just hang as 'uploading'. Ultimately I have to exit out of the thread, then go back into it and try to reload my text before I can proceed. I don't seem to have an option on my phone to resize pics beyond simply cropping them, or even see what size the image is before uploading (although it seems that's a  phone limitation - Nokia 8.1 running Android 10, using Firefox 81.1.1).

I think this might be a problem with Firefox. Works fine on Chrome on my phone (I use Firefox by default, v81.1.1) but images about 1.4M don't upload as you described. I plugged my phone into the debugger and there is nothing there, no errors, no network activity, zip. Very Odd. I increased the limit temporarily back to 2k and it was still a problem. Firefox have an open bug about this exhibiting the exact symptoms but it was back on v62 - someone commented they were still seeing this on a phpBB forum. I don't know if this is related to the updates in FF v81 - that was quite an overhaul - or whether it predates that. Will keep digging.

I don't know if this is an issue for anyone else (and apologies if I've missed discussion elsewhere) but the unread notification font is much less big'n'bold than it used to be a week or so age. Makes it hard to distinguish between read and unread topics - not a huge problem, just mentioning. This is both on PC and 'phone.

One thing I have noticed recently is when I receive a notification about a post I have made (quote, reaction etc), when clicking I more than likely end up being sent to another member's post in that thread.

Same when I click the star/circle so I can continue reading where I left off, just end up elsewhere in the thread, either before or after the last one I read.

Any ideas @tobyd?

4 hours ago, tobyd said:

I think this might be a problem with Firefox. Works fine on Chrome on my phone (I use Firefox by default, v81.1.1) but images about 1.4M don't upload as you described.

Aha... that may be the culprit, then. I was previously using quite an old phone (Samsung J3) with probably quite an old version of Firefox until last month, and I [i]thought[/i] the new one was working ok for the first week until the forum upgrade - but maybe I just had smaller pics that week.

If I have to just use Chrome for my eagerly* anticipated Live From The Tat Market events, it's no biggie.  Cheers for checking that out!!

• 2 weeks later...

I can report that as of about five minutes ago the "feature" where the editor randomly decided to erase a whole chunk of the text you just typed out is still alive and well.

Really had been hoping we'd seen the back of that as it's absolutely maddening when it happens.  Not least because it's just infrequent enough that it keeps lulling you into thinking it's gone away before sneaking up and kicking you in the nuts again when you least expect it.