Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

After the recent update I thought tapatalk was fixed, but I am still having issues with it. 
The main one is that the unread feed on tapatalk will only let you browse about 5 threads before it stops working.  It works perfectly for the other sites I use it on such as MX5 Nutz and it used to work before the last couple of forum updates. I dont know if there is a plug in or something that could with updating. 

Edit: it looks like this
1ee60fab43627c128c907524df6ac432.jpg
Yeah I'm getting the same and the unread number seems to keep growing and never get any lower

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere, for future reference how do I tag someone in a post? 

start by typing the @ symbol then the person's username immediately afterwards

it will as you start to type their name provide a drop down menu of users with that name and you can then select the right one like so:

@Eyersey1234  

image.png.7fc60586e717c3154e3e19f34ead4219.png

once the @name gains a blue box around it then the user will be tagged once the post is posted 

Hope this helps :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 10:02 PM, BoggyMires said:

I've broken the internet! Why if I press on the autoshite logo it takes me to a page with just the sites top banner and a line telling me I'm online? It never done this even this morning, pressing the logo took me to the forum main page. What have I done?

Pic added:

Screenshot_20191105-220809.thumb.jpg.54c2de40c2b7ddd5fc499d17ab6f6f9a.jpg

Mine has just started doing this too... 

• 4 weeks later...

Not entirely sure where to put this, but here goes.

Re: Ebay Tat thread. Is it possible for a warning message or summert to be put on to warn of a car/shitter being re-posted? I understand completely that it can be a ballache to scroll through posts on there to see if this Horsey Horseless XR Gti Convertible has been posted before, so in order to stop the same thing being unwittingly posted 38673 times, and all that entails, thought it'd be useful.

I have no idea about what software is being used, but I've got something similar @ work, where if I input some data/photo/file twice, it warns me before submission.

Just a thought.

2 hours ago, outlaw118 said:

Not entirely sure where to put this, but here goes.

Re: Ebay Tat thread. Is it possible for a warning message or summert to be put on to warn of a car/shitter being re-posted? I understand completely that it can be a ballache to scroll through posts on there to see if this Horsey Horseless XR Gti Convertible has been posted before, so in order to stop the same thing being unwittingly posted 38673 times, and all that entails, thought it'd be useful.

I have no idea about what software is being used, but I've got something similar @ work, where if I input some data/photo/file twice, it warns me before submission.

Just a thought.

regardless of if the forum software can do that

I see an issue arise in that you can have 2 different URLs for the same item

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Osram-HMI-18000w-Halide-Studio-Lamp-W-SE-GX51-18kW-Light-Bulb/324033039772

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324033039772

although both do contain the item number in the URL so it might be possible to sort via that (but im not sure what other possible URLs there are)

I'm delving into the unknown here....and I'll freely admit I have no idea what I'm talking about... I (sort of) understand what you've just said Sir Lightbulb, so instead of identifying duplicated URLs, can it not be made to see duplicated IMG code things?
Like I said, I've no idea what that will entail, or if it's even possible.

Moon on a stick?

Probably.

On 12/1/2019 at 12:43 AM, LightBulbFun said:

start by typing the @ symbol then the person's username immediately afterwards

it will as you start to type their name provide a drop down menu of users with that name and you can then select the right one like so:

@Eyersey1234  

image.png.7fc60586e717c3154e3e19f34ead4219.png

once the @name gains a blue box around it then the user will be tagged once the post is posted 

Hope this helps :) 

Has anyone been able to get this working on a mobile device?  If I type @username on any of the Android devices I own, in any browser, it just types the name rather than giving me the option to tag anyone.  Trying to force the browser to use the desktop version doesn't make any difference.

Would be nice to get this working given the feature exists.

16 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Has anyone been able to get this working on a mobile device?  If I type @username on any of the Android devices I own, in any browser, it just types the name rather than giving me the option to tag anyone.  Trying to force the browser to use the desktop version doesn't make any difference.

Would be nice to get this working given the feature exists.

@Zelandeth  works good on my iPhone...

7B6883E0-44FE-43D2-8FE6-044533CB6BA6.thumb.png.120afeb4ffeba6ca3d30c6b7e5139748.png

Ah ha!

It DOES work, however it pops up underneath the keyboard and I have to manually hide it before I can get to the menu.  Stupid when the screen is otherwise 80% empty... can't quite believe I never thought to try that before though.

Reminds me of the Windows Vista start menu which used to insist on opening in a 2" square at the bottom of the screen.

7 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Ah ha!

It DOES work, however it pops up underneath the keyboard and I have to manually hide it before I can get to the menu.  Stupid when the screen is otherwise 80% empty... can't quite believe I never thought to try that before though.

Reminds me of the Windows Vista start menu which used to insist on opening in a 2" square at the bottom of the screen.

Aww was hoping id get to nerd out with this Android Virtual machine I just spun up LOL (does remind me I still need to get a fresh battery for the Samsung S4 mini, so I can finally have a working android phone on hand to help with situations like this)

image.thumb.png.a0b6b5e7248d8b88ceacd10aafd2d2e7.png

but Im happy to hear you finally figured out what was going on and got it working :) 

17 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Okay...mostly works.  It's touchy as hell in Firefox, but works.

Only in a new post though, the functionality doesn't appear to work if you edit an existing post.  I'm less bothered about that though.

the entire forum software suite is touchy as hell! (or more specifically the god awful text editor is touchy as hell)

never going to know when I hit enter to move down a line and it just randomly deletes a section of the text above THAT bug is fucking annoying...

thankfully usually CMD Z (undo) gets the text back then I hit CMD A (select all), CMD C (Copy) all the text then refresh the page, (because the bug does not go away until I refresh) and paste everything back in gets things back on track...

(one of these days when it happens I should screen record it LOL)

BTW side note if your wondering as to why request desktop does not work as you want is because the web layout automatically reshuffles itself once the horizontal resolution drops below a certain value 

so technically you are getting the desktop site kinda ya just dont really see it if that makes any sense! 

image.thumb.png.630b604d22115d2e8ce4c50d25762256.png

(the restored content is because the editor rather timely shat itself and would not let me paste in any images yay!)

image.thumb.png.dedf4e18700d8a70509e1690f9cb8bfa.png

23 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

the entire forum software suite is touchy as hell! (or more specifically the god awful text editor is touchy as hell)

never going to know when I hit enter to move down a line and it just randomly deletes a section of the text above THAT bug is fucking annoying...

thankfully usually CMD Z (undo) gets the text back then I hit CMD A (select all), CMD C (Copy) all the text then refresh the page, (because the bug does not go away until I refresh) and paste everything back in gets things back on track...

(one of these days when it happens I should screen record it LOL)

That does my bloody head in when that happens.  At least a few times a week...and being on mobile there's no undo option.  The tendency for it to randomly stop letting me type text in is frustrating as well.

Of course because of the way images etc are handled you can't even really do the old "type it up in a text editor and paste" solution as wrangling it into a usable state winds up being just as long winded and usually more annoying than just writing the whole lot out twice.  Or three times.  Or four times...

The forum itself works okay but the editor still makes me want to tear my own spleen out at times.  Why the designers couldn't just let you use standard BBCode for URLs I'll never understand.

That does my bloody head in when that happens.  At least a few times a week...and being on mobile there's no undo option.  The tendency for it to randomly stop letting me type text in is frustrating as well.

surely there must be some undo function? on an iOS device I shit you not, if you shake the device while in a text field having just typed something, it asks you do you want to undo LOL

but yeah even with the undo function iv lost large chunks of posts thanks to that bug, these days I just make a habit of just periodically copying everything to clipboard, so should things go south I can just refresh the page and paste it all back in again

Of course because of the way images etc are handled you can't even really do the old "type it up in a text editor and paste" solution as wrangling it into a usable state winds up being just as long winded and usually more annoying than just writing the whole lot out twice.  Or three times.  Or four times...

have you tried pasting in plain text? I find that tends to sort most formatting, font and text colour issues out when pasting stuff into the editor

(to paste in plain text its Cmd Shift V or Control shift V IIRC on a windows computer, not sure how you would do it on mobile mind!)

although the forum software does give you an option to paste in plain text, although not sure how much good it would do, if the text layout has already been garbled by the rich text pasting....

image.thumb.png.eceb09047e1bd63c4adafa73e55676c8.png

I seem to remember there being a plugin available which changed the default behaviour for clicking on a topic title to take you to the newest unread content rather than the first post.  

Is there any chance this could be installed?  On a touch screen (both my phone and my laptop), managing to select the tiny brown dot is incredibly difficult and I end up instead viewing 15 profiles a day as my fat fingers miss and click the name of the most recent poster instead.