Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

20 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

https://autoshite.com/leaderboard/

I think this is analogous to what your looking for? (your post is at the top of it regardless :))

if you click on month top right-ish you can change the date range etc 

Many thanks. Didn't know it had been renamed to leaderboard. Not sure if it is working properly though as if I select all time for all topics it says everything from 06/06/2013 but doesn't show the Renault 6 Rescue thread from August 2017 which has 108 likes.

11 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

Many thanks. Didn't know it had been renamed to leaderboard. Not sure if it is working properly though as if I select all time for all topics it says everything from 06/06/2013 but doesn't show the Renault 6 Rescue thread from August 2017 which has 108 likes.

happy to help :) 

indeed sadly it seems like anything from before Late 2019 is not counted for whatever reason (and setting a custom date range before then just returns nothing found), perhaps an artifact/bug to do with the forum software update?

(like how the thumbnail size for all images uploaded before the software update got set to 100x100 pixels after said software update)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 12:06 AM, Richard_FM said:

Is there an actual way to change my display name?

I've tried following the instructions on the first page of this thread but there seems to be nowhere under the settings to actually change it.

Click the top right hand corner and go to account, then click account settings.

From there click settings area, and then display name. This is where you can change the display name.

If that doesn’t work PM me and I’ll change it on the admin side. 

As for plain text editing I don’t know the answer sorry... @tobyd

Anyone else intermittently finding image loading to be horrendously slow over the last 48 hours or so?

Seems to be sporadic but when it happens it's taking minutes for images to load in.  I just get the placeholder box sitting there slowly fading from white to grey and back again for ages.

Doesn't seem to be my connection as it's only been noticeable on here.

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2020 at 11:43 AM, tobyd said:

Interesting...can you reliably reproduce that and does it do it in Firefox? It looks like its getting confused over some selected text when its doing its 'new paragraph instead of newline' thing.

Missed this...

Yes, it definitely happens in Firefox, both on mobile and desktop, I've observed this on two mobile devices (Huawei P20 Pro, Samsung Galaxy Tab S3) and both my desktop and laptop.  There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it, just randomly it will eat a bunch of text.  It doesn't need to be when starting a new paragraph or anything, it just seems to happen completely randomly while typing.  Looking at my previous post on the subject, apparently I have seen this in Chrome as well which I've obviously switched to at some point to try to dodge the issue in case it was a Firefox issue.

I spent a long while swearing at the touchpad on the laptop thinking the "disable touchpad while typing" option had been deselected and I'd brushed it with my palm while typing or something...until I observed exactly the same on the desktop.

On desktop it's hardly the end of the world...I grumble, undo and *MOST* of the time the text is recoverable, but not always.  On the phone or tablet on the other hand it's absolutely maddening as as far as I'm aware there is no equivalent to ctrl+Z.  It has got my phone hurled at the wall at least twice so far when it's done it 90% of the way through a long post.

The other one I've found lately is that on mobile the browser at least a couple of times a day seems to get confused about where the cursor is - trying to click the previous/next page buttons instead results in whatever is a good 1/4 of the way up the screen from what I was aiming for getting clicked on.  The only way to resolve this seems to be to rotate the device to cause the page to redraw or to manually refresh the page.  Scrolling/zooming doesn't have any effect.  I thought this was just my phone initially but I observed it on my tablet this morning as well.  Apologies to whoever it was that I liked/unliked a post of about four times earlier today while trying to switch pages...I've only noticed it affecting the lower part of the screen so far.

Since my phone update my camera now takes pictures with a .heic format. The forum software doesn't display them, instead they have to be downloaded which is a pain. 

Is it possible to change this so they display straight away please?

5 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Since my phone update my camera now takes pictures with a .heic format. The forum software doesn't display them, instead they have to be downloaded which is a pain. 

Is it possible to change this so they display straight away please?

To attack it a slightly different way, can you change the file type that the phones saves pictures as? On my Moto G7 in camera I click on the icon of a camera with 'A' on it, drop it down to 'M' for manual then it allows me to select between .jpg and RAW formats. What phone is it? I'm not familair with .heic format?

I don’t know where else to post my query, hopefully here is fine.

Our For Sale section allows wanted ads as well as offers of various non motoring related paraphernalia, which clutters up the listings.

Would it be possible to create separate sections for wanted listings and another for the sale of non car related items?

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that the image loading delay has now developed into images actually missing.

Screenshot_20200721_194350_org.mozilla.firefox.thumb.jpg.3ab15e2dd7a07e84c7c65d818a576fd0.jpg

These were all showing the white rectangular placeholder for 30 seconds or so before it gave up and rendered the page shown above, including one half-loaded image.  Clicking on the absent images just dumped you on a 404 error page.

It's been noted by @LightBulbFun that a few older pages seem to be missing images in the same way to the screenshot above...have to tend to think these are somehow related.

54 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

It's been noted by Lightbulbfun that a few older pages seem to be missing images in the same way to the screenshot above...have to tend to think these are somehow related.

yeah to further this comment for the admins, heres a direct link to an example post where all its imagines have gone missing/broken

https://autoshite.com/topic/29443-zels-motoring-adventuresjag-citroen-mercedes-ac-model-70-1907-xantia-paint-pondering/?do=findComment&comment=2032247

I have noticed a few of my own files go walkies like this here and there over the past few months as well

(and they (well a broken URL) still show up under the attachments page under the my profile button when you click on your user name, but the actual image file is nowhere to be found)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone had a chance to look into this image loading issue?  I've just given up after about ten minutes of trying to see the latest entries in the Lazy Spotters Thread.  Just white placeholders sitting there forever.

Edit: meant to also mention that sometimes this issue while on mobile at least, can be resolved by rotating the device which triggers a page redraw.  One thing which springs to mind as a possibility is that image loading could possibly not be happening if there was something amiss in the communication between the browser and server...the "lazy image loading" function obviously needs to know where on the page the browser is focused, if that page location isn't being reported properly obviously the images won't load.

Just a theory, I know very little about current web design as I'm still stuck in 2002 on that count, seemed worth mentioning though.

There were a few hosting outages, upstream of the server, last week which I believe are now resolved. Not a lot we could have done about that.

@Asimo re: autocorrect, I suspect thats a feature* of your browser rather than the forum software? It doesn't autocorrect on my PC but the keyboard settings on my android phone are set to autocorrect and will do it there.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else had problems with the phone keyboard disappearing every time they hit return? I used to be able to hit it twice to space paragraphs out but now the keyboard vanishes the first time. Might be an update on my phone but it's very irritating especially when I'm trying to insert images between paragraphs of text.

Typically as I write this it's working...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @tobyd I notice it seems with the latest forum update (with the switch to the new theme?)

it seems max image resolution/size for new image uploads has been set to a small default or such

I was wondering if this could be set to a larger size as it makes it obscures important details in photos

for example in this image I uploaded a while back you can clearly make out the registration of the Invacar Model 70 as XEV95S

4988661991_3496140baf_o.jpg

however in the same photograph uploaded now, the registration cannot be made out

4988661991_3496140baf_o.thumb.jpg.6effe225822ea62f1a5783f4bfbb0bbe.jpg

so I was wondering if the max image size could be increased some? :) 

On 03/10/2020 at 22:18, LightBulbFun said:

Hey @tobyd I notice it seems with the latest forum update (with the switch to the new theme?)

it seems max image resolution/size for new image uploads has been set to a small default or such

I was wondering if this could be set to a larger size as it makes it obscures important details in photos

I have reduced this down to 1280px square which should be adequate for 99% of images on a regular display. If you need to have 4k / 2560px images you'll need to host them on an image host or out of onedrive / drop box or something.

10 minutes ago, tobyd said:

I have reduced this down to 1280px square which should be adequate for 99% of images on a regular display. If you need to have 4k / 2560px images you'll need to host them on an image host or out of onedrive / drop box or something.

ah thats a little bit of a shame, when possible I always like to upload pictures directly to the forum im posting them too

as history has shown that external hosts are not very reliable over time!

even when sharing someone else's photo if its from an external host say on flicker or such, ill download the image and upload it to the forum (of course linking to the original ) just so incase anything happens to the host I got the image from, it does ruin the post etc

(the forum previously was set to 2000px I think which seemed to be a good compromise? its not the first time this issue has cropped up LOL) 

as a side note that text eating, text editor bug is still present 

Is 1280px good enough for a calendar picture?

I think that should be the baseline, because otherwise we run the risk of crappy calendar pictures.  Disclaimer: I don't know how much we're paying for storage.  It's all very well saying storage is cheap in theory, but the practicalities aren't always the same.