Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

On mobile. Firefox on android. I just tried to write a post tagging another user, once I chose the user to tag I was no longer able to continue writing the post.

Any ideas?

Edit: ffs the image uploader is also playing silly buggers on mobile too.

I don't think it's the only problem with Firefox on Android. It gets confused about the navigation to the open forums or clicking anything in the lower third of the screen for ne. Chrome doesn't seem to have the same problems although I prefer FF so just put up with it. Not sure about tagging people, I don't even get that option with the stock gboard input...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jesus fscking Christ... that's twice today the damned editor has eaten about 70% of a long post completely at random while typing because I had the audacity to hit return to start a new line.

Does anyone have the foggiest idea what the cause of this is?  It happens in both Chrome and Firefox on mobile, both using the on-screen or a Bluetooth keyboard (as I did wonder if it was some touch screen issue).  I've not been aware of it happening on my desktop, but it's only once in a blue moon I'm lucky enough to have a chance to actually use a proper computer these days so there's serious observation bias there as my usage is probably 98% mobile, 2% desktop.

It seriously has to be *the* most annoying bug on here... I'll even stop complaining about the diabolically clunky image handling if that could be fixed...

14 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Jesus fscking Christ... that's twice today the damned editor has eaten about 70% of a long post completely at random while typing because I had the audacity to hit return to start a new line.

Does anyone have the foggiest idea what the cause of this is?  It happens in both Chrome and Firefox on mobile, both using the on-screen or a Bluetooth keyboard (as I did wonder if it was some touch screen issue).  I've not been aware of it happening on my desktop, but it's only once in a blue moon I'm lucky enough to have a chance to actually use a proper computer these days so there's serious observation bias there as my usage is probably 98% mobile, 2% desktop.

It seriously has to be *the* most annoying bug on here... I'll even stop complaining about the diabolically clunky image handling if that could be fixed...

oh  so im not the only one that happens to! (and I can confirm it does happen in chrome on a desktop/laptop machine sadly)

thankfully a hasty control/command Z normally gets my content back, but also brings the bug back with it, but as you say its fucking annoying especially when it does eat your post and you cant recover it (not sure how you undo on an Android device but on an iOS device shake it like your pissed off at it and it asks you if you want to undo LOL)

as for getting round the bug, I find that bringing the cursor out of the text box and even clicking to a different app will suddenly get a bunch of text highlighted "exposing" the bug (said highlighted text being the text that gets nuked when you hit carriage return because its highlighted but you just cant see it thanks to the shitty text editor)

then I click elsewhere in the text box to un highlight the text and finally I can hit carriage return without all my previous text getting nuked

@tobyd your the one moderator who knows computers/does the technical stuff right? any chance this bug could be looked into? (or just implement a better/plain text editor option!)

granted knowing what I know about this forum software package, the text editor is just plain garbage and nothing can be done about it sadly, I REALLY wish whoever did the software update researched that before upgrading autoshite to this particular forum software!

(this bug is also why when im typing up a particularly lengthy post, ill every now and then hit control/command A and then C to save everything to my clip board so I can paste it all back in should the shitty text editor eat it all!)

Do you mean upgraded (as in, version specific) or migrated to? 

I reckon the current set up is the best we've ever had. The only bug which really gets me now is when you tag a user and the latter half of their name gets added on the end of the name every time you try to do anything e.g.

@Mr FluffyballsFluffyballsFluffyballsFluffyballs

The editor isn't something that the forum software lets you swap out for a simple input or swap for a different editor. Switching for a plain text input would remove a lot of features, like

quotes (even though they get used to re-post picture heavy threads but I am looking at resolving that honest!)

clickable links and the preview button and all formatting.

The software in general has a few issues on mobile (especially on firefox) and, unfortunately, they are mostly just bugs to be filed with the forum-software developer. Its difficult to send them a bug reporting saying "The forum dog ate my homework post" with no evidence or reproduction steps and getting reliable repro steps on a phone is a nightmare. Take the Tapatalk issue raised a while back - I can't make it go wrong, works just fine for me on my phone but has problems on a different handset. I think mobile will incrementally improve with software updates and I'm happy to raise any issues we can reliably provide repro steps for but well understand that after its eaten half an hours typing trying to figure out at what point it borks is rarely a concern.

There are very limited options for full, rich-text browser text editors that still work (to some degree) on mobile and support older browsers as a prebuilt option. I suspect if you waste spend  some time on QuillJs, TinyMce or CKEditor's demo sites sooner or later one will react badly and I'd suggest that usually a condition outside the editors control, such as a missing tap on a touchscreen, is causing the mobile browser to misbehave. Seems a bit harsh to condemn this one (ckeditor, probably the same or a slightly newer version that what was in the previous forum version) as garbage. The editor is effectively a WYSIWYG website builder given it has to convert all this text into what can amount to fairly complex HTML. Bear in mind it fully supports pasting in the answer to this Stack Overflow post.

14 hours ago, loserone said:

Do you mean upgraded (as in, version specific) or migrated to? 

I reckon the current set up is the best we've ever had. The only bug which really gets me now is when you tag a user and the latter half of their name gets added on the end of the name every time you try to do anything e.g.

@Mr FluffyballsFluffyballsFluffyballsFluffyballs

as in previously the forum was on a set of forum software then got upgraded to the current forum software

I aint got a problem with the forum software (apart from the thumbnail issue), its just the text editor that I have a problem with from time to time 

12 hours ago, tobyd said:

The editor isn't something that the forum software lets you swap out for a simple input or swap for a different editor. Switching for a plain text input would remove a lot of features, like

clickable links and the preview button and all formatting.

The software in general has a few issues on mobile (especially on firefox) and, unfortunately, they are mostly just bugs to be filed with the forum-software developer. Its difficult to send them a bug reporting saying "The forum dog ate my homework post" with no evidence or reproduction steps and getting reliable repro steps on a phone is a nightmare. Take the Tapatalk issue raised a while back - I can't make it go wrong, works just fine for me on my phone but has problems on a different handset. I think mobile will incrementally improve with software updates and I'm happy to raise any issues we can reliably provide repro steps for but well understand that after its eaten half an hours typing trying to figure out at what point it borks is rarely a concern.

There are very limited options for full, rich-text browser text editors that still work (to some degree) on mobile and support older browsers as a prebuilt option. I suspect if you waste spend  some time on QuillJs, TinyMce or CKEditor's demo sites sooner or later one will react badly and I'd suggest that usually a condition outside the editors control, such as a missing tap on a touchscreen, is causing the mobile browser to misbehave. Seems a bit harsh to condemn this one (ckeditor, probably the same or a slightly newer version that what was in the previous forum version) as garbage. The editor is effectively a WYSIWYG website builder given it has to convert all this text into what can amount to fairly complex HTML. Bear in mind it fully supports pasting in the answer to this Stack Overflow post.

I have tried to screen record the issue, however in doing so it "fixes" the issue meaning I can't screen record it LOL!

(its actually how I discovered the work around for when it does happen)

however I have just remembered that I can do a screen recording solely by keyboard commands and screen overlays, so I dont have to click away from the browser to record my screen 

so next time it happens ill try and record it (with my damn Phone If I have to LOL) 

i aint saying getting rid of the this text editor, im just wondering if as a toggle you could offer a plain text editor? :) 

Has anyone else been noticing embedded images being really slow to load this last couple of days?  I thought it was just my phone acting up until yesterday evening when I was on the laptop but encountered exactly the same behaviour.

Just a white rectangle sitting where the image should be for several seconds before it eventually loads.  Causes the page to jump around quite a bit if images upstream of where you're viewing a thread are still loading in too as it doesn't seem to reserve the screen space for the actual image dimensions until it loads.

Performance has never really been an issue on here so I think that makes it all the more noticeable. 

Here's where I find the problem is actually local to me and I've a networking bottleneck I need to spend the next week hunting...

A month or so back I enabled lazy-loading of images so that until you get near an image it won't download from wherever it lives. Has the benefit that on picture heavy threads your phone isn't preloading masses of content you might not ever look at and should save your data allowance - trade off is that performance can suffer. On desktop it should* be unnoticable.

Trouble with it reserving space is that the server would have to download the image, record the sizing for it, hope the image isn't resized at somepoint (or removed) and every-so-often work through the process to ensure its still up-to-date. For every post that contains images.

This was as much a trial as anything, if people don't like it I can turn it off again - I do find scrolling bottom-to-top it janks about a bit on a phone.

Yep...the scrolling up thing is definitely really noticeable, as is the page jumping around if you load in mid way down a thread (i.e. if clicking the "first unread" link).  You get about two words into reading before the page jumps around and suddenly you're reading five paragraphs away from where you started.

It's more pronounced on mobile but I was definitely seeing similar behaviour on my desktop as well.  I'll make a point of trying to watch more carefully what it's up to next time I'm at my workstation.

Maybe a slight suggestion for those using the otherwise impressive mobile site, can we move the sign out button to somewhere else. I can never remember my password when I've accidentally signed out when checking the notifications by mistapping the button. Or even a "are you sure you want to sign out" pop up to confirm. 

Screenshot_20200318_094528.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I hve quston. How does one remove attachments from one's profile? I have a lot of attachments from threads that have long since disappeared (cars and girls, the un-woke $h@9 thread) that I'd like to clear out so; no one can see them now (nothing NSFW) but using a fair bit of my allocated attachment space up.

@dozeydustman for threads that are unlocked if you follow the attachment link to the post itself, edit it you can delete the attachment from there. For locked threads a mod would need to do it - if you have a list of the ones you want removing I can take a look. I don't think there should be any sort of quota on uploaded stuff though.

On 3/31/2020 at 11:15 PM, tobyd said:

@dozeydustman for threads that are unlocked if you follow the attachment link to the post itself, edit it you can delete the attachment from there. For locked threads a mod would need to do it - if you have a list of the ones you want removing I can take a look. I don't think there should be any sort of quota on uploaded stuff though.

It's a list of attachments from now locked, closed and deleted posts, plus a few I no longer want to see (those I will do myself)

I'll compose the list and send it to you by PM

3 hours ago, tobyd said:

Interesting...can you reliably reproduce that and does it do it in Firefox? It looks like its getting confused over some selected text when its doing its 'new paragraph instead of newline' thing.

sadly I have not figured out how to reproduce it reliably, it just happens just frequently enough to get really annoying at time LOL 

luckily these days im pretty good at catching it and hitting undo before I type more and lose all my text

if I then bring up another window outside the browser then click back to the browser the text that gets eaten is suddenly highlighted then if I un highlight it, the text editor stops eating my text thankfully

which is easy enough for me to do on a desktop Operating system, but you would be pretty stuffed in a mobile OS!

(no idea if it happens in firefox sadly as I dont use that web browser frequently, although going by @Zelandeth's post above it does seem to happen in Firefox mobile)

3 hours ago, loserone said:

Bloody hell, I though I was bad with lots of chrome tabs open.  Have you tried turning on tab grouping?

you think thats bad? thats just my laptop I use after 10PM you should see my desktop! :)

image.thumb.png.33688444ba4247a66b1df67247049dc5.png

• 1 month later...

This might well have been already answered, but I can't find it:

As much as I very much like this new look, the one function that I used to use a lot was plain text editing, and hence putting in my own bbcode tags.  I notice that they do still generally work, but of course once you've put your tags in, you can't then edit that code should you wish to.

Does that functionality still exist?

On 8/18/2019 at 11:50 AM, Slowsilver said:

How can I access the "most liked" thread?
There used to be a link at the bottom of the home page but not any more.

In fact none of these useful links seem to exist any more.
The search function and even a google Autoshite search for "most liked" return nothing of any use.

Bump for this question. Never did get an answer and I think my recent Mondeo post may have now overtaken @quicksilver's Renault 6 Rescue post.
Can any of you technical staff members give me a definitive answer? If it is no longer available since the upgrade that is fine, but it would be good to know for sure.

30 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

Bump for this question. Never did get an answer and I think my recent Mondeo post may have now overtaken @quicksilver's Renault 6 Rescue post.
Can any of you technical staff members give me a definitive answer? If it is no longer available since the upgrade that is fine, but it would be good to know for sure.

https://autoshite.com/leaderboard/

I think this is analogous to what your looking for? (your post is at the top of it regardless :))

if you click on month top right-ish you can change the date range etc