Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

Generally very pleased with the updated site.
No real problems found, though I do always use it on a laptop, not a mobile.
Just a couple of trivial suggestions:

The login option on the default Autoshite theme is white text on pale brown, which makes it very difficult to see. I use the alternative blue and white theme, which I find is much easier to read, but this doesn't happen until after I have logged in (understandably) so I still need to find the login option on the Autoshite-themed screen. Any chance of changing the colour of the login option to something which contrasts a bit more with the brown background?

My first port of call when I log in is nearly always "Content I have posted in", which I then repeatedly refresh affter I have read each post. This involves hovering over the "Activity" tab, then clicking on "My activity streams", then clicking again on "Content I have posted in", which is a bit tedious. I notice that an "Unread content" option appears on both the "Activity" toolbar and the top right corner of the page. Could a "Content I have posted in" link either be added to the "Activity" toolbar or replace the "Unread content" option on it?

Sorry if this seems like nit-picking, and I do appreciate all the effort you guys have put in to this new incarnation, but even small niggles can get tedious if you encounter them often enough.

Thanks for reading.

I also use the blue on white theme. And likewise I start off with the "content I have posted in".  So to save these preferences ; I logged in, set that theme, opened that "content I have posted in" page, and then bookmarked it.  Now, whenever I open that bookmark I'm prompted to log in ..which is just two clicks,  and I'm taken directly to that page with blue/white theme already in place.

6 hours ago, Slowsilver said:

My first port of call when I log in is nearly always "Content I have posted in", which I then repeatedly refresh affter I have read each post. This involves hovering over the "Activity" tab, then clicking on "My activity streams", then clicking again on "Content I have posted in", which is a bit tedious

^ The footnote at the bottom of each of my posts starts off with  ...  (three dots) which is underlined in blue because I have used those for a link to the webpage with the "content I have posted in".  It's a very convenient as just one-click takes me back to the top and directly to that page.  And very easy to set up.    However if I don't post a reply then I can of course just go up to my bookmarks drop-down menu and click on Autoshite, as that would take me there also, and as I'm already logged in - it would be almost as quick. No refresh nor hovering is needed

Hope that helps.

Bfg.  

17 hours ago, Bfg said:

I also use the blue on white theme. And likewise I start off with the "content I have posted in".  So to save these preferences ; I logged in, set that theme, opened that "content I have posted in" page, and then bookmarked it.  Now, whenever I open that bookmark I'm prompted to log in ..which is just two clicks,  and I'm taken directly to that page with blue/white theme already in place.

^ The footnote at the bottom of each of my posts starts off with  ...  (three dots) which is underlined in blue because I have used those for a link to the webpage with the "content I have posted in".  It's a very convenient as just one-click takes me back to the top and directly to that page.  And very easy to set up.    However if I don't post a reply then I can of course just go up to my bookmarks drop-down menu and click on Autoshite, as that would take me there also, and as I'm already logged in - it would be almost as quick. No refresh nor hovering is needed

Hope that helps.

Bfg.  

May thanks for the tips. I have set up the bookmark as you suggested and it works a treat.
Also like the idea of the 3 dots in the footnote, but not sure how to turn the 3-dot text into a web page link.

Open the page you want .. in this case your own "contents I have posted in" and copy the website page address < www.autoshite ....etc >  Then go into your profile > footnote, and select the three dots (or whatever text you happen to choose) and then select "Link" (it looks like a chain link in your reply, or edit, menu bar). That will open a sub window where you simply paste in your copied website page address. Save.. and it will automatically work.

Pete. 

11 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Open the page you want .. in this case your own "contents I have posted in" and copy the website page address < www.autoshite ....etc >  Then go into your profile > footnote, and select the three dots (or whatever text you happen to choose) and then select "Link" (it looks like a chain link in your reply, or edit, menu bar). That will open a sub window where you simply paste in your copied website page address. Save.. and it will automatically work.

Pete. 

Thanks again, works a treat.
is footnote the same as signature?
Couldn't find footnote under profile, but selected Account Settings > Signature and put it in there and it works fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 8:54 PM, Christine said:

Yeah 502.   Back up  ,still    502    little bit of forum ,then 502 again. 

I've been seeing these same symptoms the past few days.

Doesn't matter whether I'm on the PC or the phone, or where I'm connecting from (i.e. home wifi or out and about on 4G).

When I click "Load more activity" the page used to stay at the first newly-loaded item, allowing me to then scroll down, and on my desktop it still does, but on my laptop, which also used to do this, it now scrolls to the last newly-loaded item and I have to scroll up and then can't tell where the last original item ends and the first new one begins.
Have I accidentally changed a setting on the laptop? If so, how do I revert to the original behaviour?
TIA

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Tweaked your settings - try it now.

no offense to the new guy but aint the point of new guys not be able to see those sections until a certain amount of posts are reached

is so it can be sure that the new user is genuine etc, and not just bots or such given the potentially more sensitive info that lies in the other sections?

19 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

no offense to the new guy but aint the point of new guys not be able to see those sections until a certain amount of posts are reached

is so it can be sure that the new user is genuine etc, and not just bots or such given the potentially more sensitive info that lies in the other sections?

I'm real/ genuine and could access the other sections previously but had to re- register when my login wouldn't work...

21 hours ago, Iansafc said:

I'm real/ genuine and could access the other sections previously but had to re- register when my login wouldn't work...

Yeah, we had a purge to get rid of all the mackems, so a username with S.A.F.C in it would get you black flagged ??

Especially when one of the mods follows the Toon Army ?

Re 502 errors: trust me when I say a lot of man hours has gone into investigating this. We have to keep tweaking things until we find the solution (when I say we I certainly don’t mean me... my only solution is to turn it off and on again). They have got less in my experience, but every now and again you get a run of them. Sorry they’re not solved, we’ve put patches over the sills and covered them with stone chip... hopefully that’ll hold for now ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After the recent update I thought tapatalk was fixed, but I am still having issues with it. 

The main one is that the unread feed on tapatalk will only let you browse about 5 threads before it stops working.  It works perfectly for the other sites I use it on such as MX5 Nutz and it used to work before the last couple of forum updates. I dont know if there is a plug in or something that could with updating. 

Edit: it looks like this

1ee60fab43627c128c907524df6ac432.jpg