Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

Iv always had a spell checker function on my Machine? (which is website agnostic)  in that if i spelt a word wrong id get a squiggly red line under that I could then right click and OS X would recommend a correct spelling for me (or at least try to! my spelling is pretty horrible LOL)

im using chrome as my web browser btw

Yeah, spellcheck will be a local browser thing rather than a forum code thing I feel. I can't find anything in the editor that does it but using Chrome, if I right-click the edit window I get Spellcheck options and if I really skroo a word up it underlines it in red. That's Chrome doing it.

Screenshot 2019-05-12 at 19.07.34 - Edited.png

Preview. Who wanted preview? I've just found the preview button on the end of the toolbar, gives you desktop/tablet/phone previews.

Well spotted, just tried it and it works. It was probably there all along but we didn't notice. 

Must admit I wasn't particularly happy when the new forum arrived, it seemed less user friendly and a backward step but with a few tweeks from you and us lot getting used to it, it seems completely normal now. So thanks again for all the hard work that I can't even begin to imagine what it entailed. Cheers. 

I can't get on here on my PC.The message says "A secure connection cannot be established because this site uses an unsupported protocol or cipher site.This is likely to be caused when the server needs Rc4,which is no longer considered secure"

Any ideas?,I'm using Google Chrome.

5 minutes ago, 155V6 said:

I can't get on here on my PC.The message says "A secure connection cannot be established because this site uses an unsupported protocol or cipher site.This is likely to be caused when the server needs Rc4,which is no longer considered secure"

Any ideas?,I'm using Google Chrome.

No idea! First I've heard of that too.

I'll pass that one over to @Slartibartfast as he's definitely more in the know when it comes to servers and stuff. On the plus side I just realised you can type @ and then someone's username to tag them :) 

11 hours ago, GBJ said:

Is there a way to see who is online?

Not sure there is, did anyone even use that feature previously? I think it was an add-on and the docs I can find suggest it causes high server load so it's disabled by default.

12 hours ago, Jim Bell said:

Is there a simple way of finding threads you've started? It just used to be under Find Content - Topics only in your profile. 

Click on the "Activity" button under the autoshite logo, one of the streams is your own content

:huh:

Sorry if I missed it but when wanting to insert a smiley it places it in the top left hand corner rather than where the cursor is.  How might I change this please ..to drop in where the cursor is, as it used to ?

No option of serif fonts.  Might that happen in due course or am I rum out of luck ? 

Thanks chaps,

Bfg

On 5/14/2019 at 11:12 AM, Pillock said:

Not sure there is, did anyone even use that feature previously? I think it was an add-on and the docs I can find suggest it causes high server load so it's disabled by default.

I did- well it basically just had a list at the bottom of the page in question that was visible- but it brought a sense of community to a visit and for the curious who also was reading posts at 3.40am!

1 hour ago, HMC said:

I did- well it basically just had a list at the bottom of the page in question that was visible- but it brought a sense of community to a visit and for the curious who also was reading posts at 3.40am!

It was quite funny coming downstairs at stupid o'clock because you couldn't sleep and finding there was 15+ members on line.

Yeah, I quite liked the "who's online" function too, for the overall forum and for individual threads - both for the general sense of vicarious companionship generated by knowing there were other people also reading about rubbish cars at 3.10 a.m, and also because there are a helluva lot of members who seldom/never post or comment but are often online. I wouldn't otherwise have known their usernames at all.

For those with a vague knowledge of JK Rowling's oeuvre, it was kind of analogous to a Marauder's Map for Shiters in terms of knowing where people were located at a given moment. Far from essential, but kinda fun.

Still, if it's overly data-hungry, then I s'pose I can live without it.

• 2 weeks later...

For pictures with text betwen, type away until you want picture. Load picture. Place cursor where you want picture. On the uploaded picture there is a + symbol om the left, press that and picture is inserted. Place cursor after inserted picture and carry on typing. Repeat. That is how I do it anyway.

Whoo hoo, first time I have EVER been able to answer a slightly technical question. Must set up my own computer company next!

Not sure if this is a Tapatalk issue or a communication between AS and Tapatalk issue but it takes ages loading like it's loading everything every time. It wasn't like that previously and I recall it took a bit of piggery jokery to get Tapatalk to work at all recently.
Love the forum, keep up the good work etc.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned before, the new AS site search function is actually pretty damn good.

I especially like being able to search within a given forum or topic; handy for when you know something was in a particular thread at some point in the past, but just can't seem to find it.

Fine job. Just thought I'd mention it.

Pre update, if I clicked on a thread that I’ve viewed before, I was taken to the page and section that I’ve viewed before.

Post update, regardless how many times I’ve seen a post before, I’m taken to the top of page 1.

Why is this?