Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

56 minutes ago, egg said:

How do we edit our Sigs Mr Pillock please?

Found it!!

It's proper hidden away, I thought it would be in Profile but noooooooo, that would be EASY.
Click your name in the top right corner and click on "Account Settings". It's in there along with your display name, email address etc.

15 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

Quick question - we used to have a 'who's online' list for the forum and also in each thread.

Discontinued or to be re-instated in due course? 

Hi, Same question about the numbering of posts?

Colin

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:44 AM, Yoss said:

Excellent analogy apart from the use of a Vectra. 

Exactly, they never go wrong so it's not the ideal example.

Generally managing to find my way around - dealing with anything I'm used to changing is a major issue for me, and I tend to get very easily frustrated when stuff that should be easy isn't (yay for being Autistic) especially where computers are concerned.

Only two real gripes:

1. Is there anywhere you can give users the option to kill the popup notifications (or at least the audible chime that goes with it) with fire.  If I want to check for notifications I will check the notification area...thanks very much.  The website pinging at me is a quick way to result in my phone getting drop kicked out the nearest window.

2. The editor.  Image handling on a mobile device is beyond frustrating.  Every time you so much as blink the editor jumps back to line 1, col 0.  You then need to scroll aaaaaaalll the way back to the bottom to see what you're doing.  Want to check which photo you were about to upload so you switch apps to the gallery for a sec?...oh look it's jumped back to the top of the post yet again.

...I despise the "dumbed down" editor in general and would much rather be able to just type my own code thanks...been doing so for the last twenty five years.  The biggest issue though is the absolute insistence to scroll back to the start of the post whenever you so much as breathe.

It's possibly even more annoying on the desktop where the arrow keys don't appear to work in the editor at all.

I've generally found things to have gone quite smoothly, but the editor is likely to be a deal breaker for me long term.  The fact that trying to edit posts with multiple images in (most of my blog posts) feels like trying to read braille through a pair of gardening gloves is *definitely* likely to cut down on content for my part.

On 5/2/2019 at 12:52 AM, Studebaker Hawk said:

Can't log in on either my old username or my current one. Email account linked to AS long abandoned & can't remember pw.
Suggestions or do I just start another account?

What's your old account? I can reset the password and update the email address for you.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Generally managing to find my way around - dealing with anything I'm used to changing is a major issue for me, and I tend to get very easily frustrated when stuff that should be easy isn't (yay for being Autistic) especially where computers are concerned.

Only two real gripes:

1. kill the popup notifications

2. The editor. 

Yes, you can turn all notifications off - click on the notification bell top right, there's settings in there. 
SiC has already asked about the editor. Whilst it works well on desktop, and it works OK for the odd image on mobile, it's not great for image heavy posts on mobile. What you can do is when you post an image, tap the link that appears at the bottom of the editor window that says "Use link instead" and the image will be hidden in the editor. I haven't noticed any problems with arrow keys on desktop though and I've been doing a lot of image stuff

We are looking into whether there's anything you can do with the editor but there's nothing obvious, it looks like this is the one that's hard coded into the board.

33 minutes ago, Pillock said:

Yes, you can turn all notifications off - click on the notification bell top right, there's settings in there. 
SiC has already asked about the editor. Whilst it works well on desktop, and it works OK for the odd image on mobile, it's not great for image heavy posts on mobile. What you can do is when you post an image, tap the link that appears at the bottom of the editor window that says "Use link instead" and the image will be hidden in the editor. I haven't noticed any problems with arrow keys on desktop though and I've been doing a lot of image stuff

We are looking into whether there's anything you can do with the editor but there's nothing obvious, it looks like this is the one that's hard coded into the board.

Cheers!  The notifications have now been killed.  The way my phone is set up, nothing is allowed to make noise unless it's a call from a family member.

The "use link instead" thing seems to be browser specific.  It simply does not appear on Firefox on my phone.

Probably the biggest issue with the editor is the fact the insistence on pinging back to the top of the post.  I've just checked, and indeed it does it even if you try to reposition the cursor to correct a typo - the cursor will stay where you put it, but the window focus will be dragged back to the top, no matter how far away that is.

It's not your fault guys that they seem to have hard coded such a clunky bit of software into the forum.  You've done a bloody good job for your part.

Hmm that is odd, I've been using the mobile browser far more than I ever did before and haven't had anything weird happen with the cursor like that. If Tapatalk would work better, that's now working.

I've been back to the first page in this thread and explained the notification stuff a bit better, glad you've silenced your phone. I realised I had about 400 emails from Autoshite as I hadn't scrolled down far enough in the Notification settings to see all the different options! Most of my emails were still turned on....

1 hour ago, Pillock said:

Posts from where? Nothing's been deleted ? 

As in, I write a post, (I'm in mobile mode on Samsung's Android browser), I click "submit reply", it appears to post but when I look back an hour later, my pithy observation has been lost.

1 minute ago, M'coli said:

As in, I write a post, (I'm in mobile mode on Samsung's Android browser), I click "submit reply", it appears to post but when I look back an hour later, my pithy observation has been lost.

Hmmm, that's a bit crap. Is it all posts using that browser or just certain ones? I guess it could be compatibility if it's an older browser... could you try Chrome and see if that works?

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Only two real gripes:

1. Is there anywhere you can give users the option to kill the popup notifications (or at least the audible chime that goes with it) with fire.  If I want to check for notifications I will check the notification area...thanks very much.  The website pinging at me is a quick way to result in my phone getting drop kicked out the nearest window.

2. The editor.  Image handling on a mobile device is beyond frustrating.  Every time you so much as blink the editor jumps back to line 1, col 0.  You then need to scroll aaaaaaalll the way back to the bottom to see what you're doing.  Want to check which photo you were about to upload so you switch apps to the gallery for a sec?...oh look it's jumped back to the top of the post yet again.

...I despise the "dumbed down" editor in general and would much rather be able to just type my own code thanks...been doing so for the last twenty five years.  The biggest issue though is the absolute insistence to scroll back to the start of the post whenever you so much as breathe.

It's possibly even more annoying on the desktop where the arrow keys don't appear to work in the editor at all.

I've generally found things to have gone quite smoothly, but the editor is likely to be a deal breaker for me long term.  The fact that trying to edit posts with multiple images in (most of my blog posts) feels like trying to read braille through a pair of gardening gloves is *definitely* likely to cut down on content for my part.

Thankfully Tapatalk still takes bbcode. So might go to a workflow of using Tapatalk to post long, complicated and picture heavy posts and the main website for general browsing and short replies.

However it would be excellent if the mods/admins enabled the raw editing function in this CKEditor installation. 

2 hours ago, M'coli said:

Sometimes I need to press the button twice. It'll change to "saving" or something when it catches.

18 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I see the colour of the stars have been adjusted to make things much more usable, many thanks for that :)

Personally that's the biggest bug fixed for me, even more contrast would be grand, but it certainly does the job now. Thanks.

22 hours ago, Pillock said:

I have found posting multiple images into a post from iOS / Chrome to be a doddle. Honestly, I know we’re all different but I am  a bit surprised with the appetite for Tapatalk and the old forum now. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess. At least Tapatalk will mean nothing changes for those who like it that way.