Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

You can still use image tags too. Type the [ img ] tag, then paste the image - it'll probably auto embed. Either press ctrl-Z at that point to undo, or there's a link at the bottom of the edit window that says "Image embedded. Use link instead?". Close the tags as normal and you're golden.

7 minutes ago, egg said:

It's quite useful for remembering who Barry Shitpeas/WilsonWilson/Jim Bell is! ;-)

I don't think you can out of the box on this version. I have seen a plugin for it so I'll run it past Wolf and see if we can get it added

When you upload multiple images it becomes unbearably un-usable to try and navigate the text you are writing as it's just filled up with the picture.

How are you supposed to enter text around this without having to muck around with tapping furiously to get the caret in the correct location?

Screenshot_20190503-214839_Chrome.jpg

Then when you edit, it goes straight in the inline editor with no option to view as bbcode?

Reading up, it looks like IPB on version 4 has forced this wank* editor on all its users. There is no way of disabling it and all BBCodes get converted to HTML behind the scenes. How bloody stupid, considering BBCodes have been used on forums for so many years and so many users are used to them. Also there is no way of entering in plain text without this sodding editor being in the way.

I honestly really not sure I can withstand using this editor. The way it works goes literally completely against the way I work on computers for the last tens of years. :|

* The community have termed this POS editor as the RTE - Really Terrible Editor.

Aaah, apologies - I thought you were on about externally hosted images that would previously use the [ img ] tag containing a URL.

That's a locally stored image uploaded as an attachment, yeah? Can't see any settings that relate to how they are embedded sadly.... I'll keep looking for options though.

Is the Source option top left of the editor no good to you? Trying to work out if it does a similar job to that plugin. It would have to be something that users can enable just for them though

There is no source edit buttons. Only Bold, Italic, Underline, Emoji, Link and Preview. Old version had a source edit button but this does not. 

Even if it was html instead of bbcode (which it will probably have to be), it'll be loads better than trying to use a rich text editor on a mobile. For anyone who knows a little bit of html/bbcode/etc at least ...

12 minutes ago, SiC said:

There is no source edit buttons. Only Bold, Italic, Underline, Emoji, Link and Preview. Old version had a source edit button but this does not. 

Even if it was html instead of bbcode (which it will probably have to be), it'll be loads better than trying to use a rich text editor on a mobile. For anyone who knows a little bit of html/bbcode/etc at least ...

Sorry for the confusion. It's an administrator thing which is why you don't have the setting. I'll keep looking for a solution to make the editor more friendly.

9 hours ago, loserone said:

Windows XP has five years worth of unpatched vulnerabilities.  Doesn't matter what "security software" you install - which is probably also now unsupported, like Firefox on XP is - chances are if you connect it to the internet, you're one of the people hosting dDoS attacks, and being used as a pivot for anonymity when undertaking nefarious activity.  Sorry!

If you'd fiddled your registry to make your XP install think it was an embedded job (like a POS terminal etc.) then you'd have been getting updates until very recently.

Don't know if it's just me (or if this has already been mentioned) but using the back and forward buttons on my browser (Firefox) doesn't always have the desired effect - i.e. it sometimes just reloads the current page rather than going back to the previous one etc.  Not a major issue as one can still click on the page numbers at the bottom of the thread, but thought maybe worth mentioning.

20 hours ago, beko1987 said:

I have a plan already in action, we just need to arrange for a computer to come from Durham to me without a massive detour for the owner. I'll then build it up, repaste the cpu and generally make it last 10 years. I'll then fettle the crap out of Windows 10,I might even look for theme packs and make it look like XP... 

Yes it's a pain but sadly, your going to run into this more and more in the near future. I could build Mrs 6c's T21 up with XP so you still have it! 

Imagine you lived In London with one of your cars. Eventually it's going to be easier to get a Hyundai Ioniq for the daily driving about, saving the proper cars for trips out and special occasions as it costs you £whatever in charges a day just to drive up the road! 

Mr 1987, you have a PM incoming (if I can figure out how)

38 minutes ago, New POD said:

How do I sent a private message? 

How do I search the list of members for some one's profile? 

Click on the brown envelope at the top of the screen for Messages, and then "Compose New"
(If you're on mobile then we know there's an issue with brown icons on a brown background, you can still get there but it needs a bit of guesswork tapping in the top right corner. It's on the list to be fixed)

Member list is here: https://autoshite.com/search/?type=core_members
You get to it by going to "Activity" on the menu, "Search" and then there's a tab for Member Search. If you don't fill anything out and just hit Search at the bottom you get a full list of all members.

16 hours ago, Conrad D. Conelrad said:

I did refer to Autoshite MK2 for inspiration!

As did I with the logo drawings - happy to do a Humber Sceptre, Daf Marathon and Renault 17 in homage.  It would be nice to change the cars in the logo from time to time; there are a few others already and I can do more.

Loving the new look and proud to have contributed a little bit.

Top tip just discovered, if you highlight some text in an existing post, it give the option to quote it in a reply automagically. So just highlight the bit you want to quote and go.

Loads quicker than my old way of hitting the 'quote' button at the bottom of someone's entire post then deleting all the bits you don't want, or using it to selectively quote someone to make it look like they are supporting the EDL or whatever.

2 minutes ago, Stanky said:

highlight some text

Yes! I accidentally discovered this earlier when I was trying to Google something (which I normally do by highlighting the word and right-clicking it). I then totally forgot to tell anyone so you're one step ahead of me :D

And obvs I just used it there too.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:51 PM, LightBulbFun said:

*sad face*

image.thumb.png.2679c6bb9851d25535bfbe82e675052c.png

I can one-up this, I have an Ethernet-friendly Windows 98 PC that I once managed to make a post on AS with, through Netscape Navigator iirc (it was the only functioning browser!). The post is in the grin thread I believe. I think there was a photo but it's long gone. I doubt it'll work on the updated site though.