Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

Hi, When clicking on 'unread content' button at the top there follows a list of unread threads, is there a way of going to the first unread post in the thread like before?  Or am I missing the point somewhere, it's not unknown?

Thanks in advance.

Colin

3 minutes ago, colnerov said:

Hi, When clicking on 'unread content' button at the top there follows a list of unread threads, is there a way of going to the first unread post in the thread like before?  Or am I missing the point somewhere, it's not unknown?

Thanks in advance.

Colin

There's a brown circle next to the topic title, clicking this should take you to the last unread post. 

1 minute ago, Conrad D. Conelrad said:

There's a brown circle next to the topic title, clicking this should take you to the last unread post. 

Have to say this is the biggest hit for me, it all looks very nice but it was a massive advantage to be able to simply click on the thread title rather than a tiny circle or star.

3 minutes ago, Conrad D. Conelrad said:

Hi, Ahh yes found it, thanks.  See i told  you I could be missing the point.?

Colin

Old Autoshite used to shrink pictures as well, unless that was something I was doing.  If I uploaded something direct from my 'phone at 25 megapixels or whatever ridiculous resolution this camera has,  it always ended up shrunk down from ~5MB to ~500K - not a bad thing as the original resolution wouldn't even come close to fitting on a normal monitor.

just to help illustrate my slight niggle,

on the left is an "unread content" button and on the right is a "threads been read" button, (when theres new content in a thread I have not commented in I get a brown button)

as you can tell its a bit hard to tell whats been read and whats not been read at a glance when it comes to threads I have left a comment in

1946273898_Screenshot2019-05-02at16_30_29.png.24499815f2fa1985717dfa251090e388.png294701446_Screenshot2019-05-02at16_33_51.png.3a0e63d78868833bd637f6f4569361a8.png

do you think it might be possible to implement the old style where if there was new content in a thread the entire title would go bold?

that was much easier to spot :)

but yeah this is just small niggles, thanks for the top work chaps on keeping the beige going :)

18 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

just to help illustrate my slight niggle,

on the left is an "unread content" button and on the right is a "threads been read" button, (when theres new content in a thread I have not commented in I get a brown button)

as you can tell its a bit hard to tell whats been read and whats not been read at a glance when it comes to threads I have left a comment in

1946273898_Screenshot2019-05-02at16_30_29.png.24499815f2fa1985717dfa251090e388.png294701446_Screenshot2019-05-02at16_33_51.png.3a0e63d78868833bd637f6f4569361a8.png

do you think it might be possible to implement the old style where if there was new content in a thread the entire title would go bold?

that was much easier to spot :)

but yeah this is just small niggles, thanks for the top work chaps on keeping the beige going :)

No, I agree. I will see if it's possible to revert to the bolded unread titles and failing that certainly I can make the unread content star a lot more prominent. 

1 hour ago, Conrad D. Conelrad said:

Try top left, there's an "Activity" tab next to "Browse" (underneath the SD1). 

Got it, though the search hasn't caught up yet, so it shows nothing at all!

Also, despite turning notifications off, I still get notifications every time I come to the forum. I would like not to have those - replies to threads etc.

Alright all, this looks good dunit?! 

Only issue i’ve got is that when i click on a thread it takes me to the first page rather than where i left off, like before. Is this normal behaviour i’ll have to suck up or is there a setting i need to alter?

17 minutes ago, Rod/b said:

Alright all, this looks good dunit?! 

Only issue i’ve got is that when i click on a thread it takes me to the first page rather than where i left off, like before. Is this normal behaviour i’ll have to suck up or is there a setting i need to alter?

for me its always worked like that (in that clicking on a thread just took me to the first page), and to get to the first unread comment/post you would click on the little brown orb next to the thread title :) (well Star now if you have already commented on the thread in the past)

Ok, so I assume that as I'm reading this on my phone that I'm on the mobile site. Previously there was a button at the bottom of the page to switch between main and mobile sites and I always had the main site on my phone as I found it clearer than the mobile site. I don't have a computer as I considered them a fad that will never catch on (and I think I've been proved right). I do all my posts on this phone. I could be wrong (and I certainly have no idea what I'm talking about) but is the mobile site simply to save data? I'm sure modern phones have more power than an average laptop even five years ago and using my home WiFi makes the mobile site pointless. So can I get the main site on my phone? 

Also the activity function doesn't seem to perform the same thing that the old 'my content' button did. At least not that I could figure out. 

Again, I don't want this to come across as a moan, it's not, they are just questions that I've yet to figure out. 

I have no idea how any of this works, it's just a magic box as far as I'm concerned. I therefore have no idea how much work goes into making it work. But I do realise that without the hard work of others none of this would exist. I just rock up and expect it to be here so definitely not complaining. I'm sure it'll all feel normal after a while. 

Six-cylinder would like to be able to update his Motoring Notes but the shiny new AS site won't let his Windows XP machine talk to it... :-(

It could be the other way round, of course...

Any ideas? He uses Chrome as a browser...

Jolly nice looking forum. Well done Mods! ?

I had to change my password too but its probably for the best. I think I've been using the same one since I joined 9 years ago! :oops:

One suggestion would be that it may be worth considering reducing the number of emojis as it may be a right PITA to select them on a smartphone. I have that problem when posting on housepricecrash.co.uk which seem to use the same ones.

Do we really need that many emojis? :unsure:

:food-smiley-015:

8 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Six-cylinder would like to be able to update his Motoring Notes but the shiny new AS site won't let his Windows XP machine talk to it... :-(

It could be the other way round, of course...

Any ideas? He uses Chrome as a browser...

That will be the new https security I imagine... WHich will be a problem for a few people I imagine

I'll fire up my XP thinkpad and see if my version of Chromium (google chrome but different) will work as it's a custom version designed to let XP talk to modern stuff

Or I can get Windows 7 onto his PC for free and quite easily and make it look like XP (assuming it's not totally ancient of course, ask him to post up the specs. Oh wait...)

Ah... 

Windows XP updated to the end of its POS 2009 life the other week... With a hacked about chromium, which has had many modern chrome features ported back to it... 

IMG_20190502_194217.thumb.jpg.f4c5c0fec1cc5336438f855365e41170.jpg

I know there's a few XP only users too, I think this is an XP thing rather than a browser issue as Facebook works, using https

W7 offer stands! I'd need his pc specs though (cpu and ram mainly) 

8 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

That will be the new https security I imagine... WHich will be a problem for a few people I imagine

I'll fire up my XP thinkpad and see if my version of Chromium (google chrome but different) will work as it's a custom version designed to let XP talk to modern stuff

Or I can get Windows 7 onto his PC for free and quite easily and make it look like XP (assuming it's not totally ancient of course, ask him to post up the specs. Oh wait...)

I suspect he would like that, if his PC spec. will cope! I'll have a rummage later and let you know... :-)

It should just upgrade with no loss of data, or I can bring a spare 1tb hard drive and caddy to copy anything critical (as I know he uses it for actual legal work occasionally) off beforehand (then nuke it fully incase XP hasn't played nicely with it)

I've got the Thinkpad X60 Tablet out to type this, with Windows 7 and Opera and it's fine. I even have the DVD of Windows  7 I made for my grans laptop, with all the updates up to march 2019 applied so it'll only need 33 windows update rounds to shut up!