Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

Welcome one and all to the new home of average transport.

Most of the forum will work exactly how you expect it to, but there's a few differences which will hopefully make your life easier. We'll add to this first post as other things become apparent or we find new options, seriously it's like getting out of a Fiesta Bonus and into a Sierra Ghia with all these new buttons.

Reading posts

• You can hover over a thread title to see a pop-up and choose either first post, or latest post to quickly preview it without clicking into it
  • As before, you can click the star or circle to the left of a thread title (star is if you've participated, circle for threads you've only read) to go straight to the unread post

Composing posts

• If you want to only quote a few words from someone else's post, just highlight the words with your cursor in their post and you'll get a "Quote" popup rather than having to quote the whole lot and delete the extra test (Thanks Stanky!)
    • Screenshot 2019-05-04 at 18.05.41 - Edited.png
  • Tags and Prefixes are somewhat different to the old version! A "Prefix" is what appears at the start of the topic title on the forum, and tags appear at the end
    • You start by entering one or more tags. Seperate them by just pressing enter to finish that tag and start a new one.
    • You can then optionally choose one of them to be the prefix by selecting it in the drop-down
    • Default behaviour seems to be that it will automatically select the first tag as  the prefix, so it appears twice. Looks crap but it's a "feature" for now. Deselect it if you want....
    • Screenshot 2019-05-03 at 20.52.29 - Edited.png

Image linking and embedding

• You now don't need [ img ] tags around pictures from elsewhere on the web. Simply paste an address that ends in .jpg or .png etc and it will automatically embed it
  • If the image address doesn't end in .jpg or .png try clicking the "Insert other media" button below the text entry field and paste the address in there.
  • When using the file uploader to embed your own photos from your computer, you can just drag them onto the bar below the text entry area. Once you've done that you can click the plus icon on the photo to embed it anywhere in the post (put your cursor where you want it to go first)
  • If you've already used an image somewhere, it doesn't need to be reuploaded. Click "insert other media" and choose "existing attachment" to browse all the images you've ever uploaded.
  • If you don't want the image embedded inline, you can press ctrl-Z to undo (or use the link that appears at the bottom of the compose window saying "use link instead" for a few seconds after it embeds) and it will go back to the old behaviour with just the address of the image

Searching

• To find your own content, instead of “My Content” you can use “Search My Activity” which is at the top right of the forum. It’s sort of notifications and all sorts rolled into one but there’s Posts and Topics as sections in the left hand menu
  • Tags and prefixes are clickable to search for other similar content.
  • If you click on Activity on the main menu, there's a detailed search for your own content, member lists (separate tab) etc.

Signatures, Display Name, Email address

• Click your username at the top right corner, and select "Account Settings"
  • Edit your signature, display name or email address there.
  • You can also turn off seeing other people's signatures
  • Note signatures don't display on mobile devices to avoid taking up too much room

Reactions

• The "like" button is gone, and Reactions are here instead. You've got like, thanks, sad and confused. 
  • No, you can't like your own posts :D

Notifications

• The forum seems to default to "Follow topics I reply to" which is the same as Old Autoshite, however....
  • The default behaviour is also to email you notifications. Oh no! That's a lot of emails.....
  • Click the Notification Bell at the top right, and choose Notification settings.
  • The four options for notification frequency let you summarise things into one email. The top option doesn't specifically say "emails" as the type of notification can be controlled in the next step.
  • Scroll down and you can toggle emails or notifications for each of the different events (like someone replying to a topic you've followed etc). 
  • You can also turn the notification sound off in that screen if you're thinking of perving over Austin Allegro Equipes (yeah, that picture) at 3am in bed.

Oh man, what a desolate desert of defecation the internet is without this place. I thought I was going to die at about 2pm today when I still couldn't get in, I've never tried Lent and Ramadan at the same time but I think I experienced something close to it.

Looking nice and cosy in here though, good work chaps.

7 minutes ago, FPB7 said:
8 minutes ago, FPB7 said:

Yeah, didn’t like my forum name or password. My alter ego had no issues though but he’s keeping quiet about it.

Yeah, didn’t like my forum name or password. My alter ego had no issues though but he’s keeping quiet about it.

^^^  What he said

Woo! its back!

and looking swanky as ever, although I think think the beige needs to be a couple shades darker :mrgreen:

(oh and I noticed that images i uploaded to the site before the upgrade now have really small previews? and I noticed all the tags are the same colour and the favicon has vanished, but i could login without issue :) )

otherwise top work chaps! :) 

I know it's not perfect, but remember that everyone hated the old forum theme when it was new too. Some of it is just a matter of acclimatising, but this one will be improved as we use it. Since the forum software isn't free I had very limited access to test the theme, and there's no theming community so there was a lot of guesswork and experimentation. I'm already jotting down egregious issues, like the brown pinned icon and the illegible "quote selection" button and PM message counts.

12 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

Hmmm, maybe a different background colour. When you go to another site it's like when you've used oxy welding glasses as shades and then everything looks the wrong colour when you take them off.

There is a default forum theme at the bottom of the page you can use, has a standard white background ?

I'm in at last! Anybody else unable to log in you'll have to reset your password and curate a new one with a mix of upper and lower case letters and numbers to work.

You also don't have any way of logging in using the mobile version so you need to go on desktop plus Tapatalk isn't working yet.

1 hour ago, hairnet said:

ello -  far right at the top where messages and notifications were i can only see the unread posts icon although the others are there as it says i have a like or a message i cant tell which cos they dont show

ta

Same here, two icons missing up top. Didn't have an issue with my old lousy password mind.

Screenshot_20190502-020239.png

is this an ok thread to post recommendations in? :)

not trying to complain or anything just figured i think it might a be a good idea to give feed back help improve things :)

its a bit hard to tell which threads have been read and which are waiting to be read, especially if you already posted in them before (as you have to to try and tell between a one shade of white star from another) on the old forum software the entire thread title would go bold if it had not been read, is it possible to implement something like that again? :)

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

not trying to complain or anything 

its a bit hard to tell which threads have been read and which are waiting to be read, 

Agreed, but in my case I'll complain.  :)

This alternating beige stripes malarky is shit visually and doesn't work. Plus the font I having to deal with in the reply box is wank.

I've got to say that I'm loving the new look.  Thanks for all the work that you guys have done. 

I'm on the mobile version atm, and just have the unread button at the top. I can't see the one for pm or anything else. 

8 minutes ago, skattrd said:

I've got to say that I'm loving the new look.  Thanks for all the work that you guys have done. 

I'm on the mobile version atm, and just have the unread button at the top. I can't see the one for pm or anything else. 

Yeah. Even if you click on a member there doesn't seem to be an option to PM?