Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

Not so much technical help, but some clarification would be handy....

Saw this is the "how we do things thread"

"Updated 1/12/22

- Following feedback from members, access to, and obviously the ability to post on, the ‘for sale/wanted’ section is now restricted to full members only."

Just wanted to know, what defines a "full member"??

2 hours ago, robt100 said:

Well, would you believe it. I went and had dinner, feel totally stuffed, came back to the forum and can see the for sale section. So you must be right!🤣

It's the number of posts you make that are approved. Then you're allowed into the wild. Beware sharks....

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Austat said:

How do I upload video files? I can't use MP4 or webm file types, do I need to use some sought of link?

I've been uploading a few link-only YouTube videos and suchlike. Other video hosting places are available...

On 1/12/2023 at 7:30 AM, Austat said:

How do I upload video files? I can't use MP4 or webm file types, do I need to use some sought of link?

Local hosting of video files was disabled a little while ago as it was consuming huge amounts of hosting space.  So uploading to an external host and linking into your post is the way to go.

This is not a complaint (IMHO this forum is way better and more capable than any other I use) but merely an observation. If someone posts on a thread while I'm viewing an earlier post on same thread, the new one will be in bold on my notifications list, but remains in bold even after I've clicked on it again. It only goes after clicking on a later bold notification on same thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

A quick question on image hosting. This is the only forum I've ever used where you can paste images straight in rather than having to embed links to a hosting site. 
However, I seem to be having isses where some images will stay up and some will, after a few days, revert to dead links like so:

image.png.89f756d8a8299508521b6156d158bfaf.png

Is this related to the fact that some images I post simply paste right into the box (presumably as they are copied from an already online image), whereas others such as these computer screengrabs go through what looks like an actual upload process?
image.png.583980322863580f5a668084a3af334a.png 

Thanks in advance!

17 hours ago, brummiejon said:

Hi, I’m struggling to upload replies to my favourite forum and I don’t understand why

What is it you've been having issues uploading?

There does seem to be a gremlin on the go currently which is causing image uploads to corrupt, but usually deleting the upload and just retrying will sort that.  

Videos cannot be uploaded directly to the forum any more.  This was disabled a month or two back as they were chewing up vast, vast swathes of our storage space and bandwidth.  So if you're trying to upload a video, that won't work.  You will need to upload it to an external host such as YouTube and then link to it from your post.

If I've misunderstood the problem you're having completely, sorry!  If you can give some further details of what is (or isn't!) happening hopefully either I or someone on the tech team will be able to look into it and advise.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

What is it you've been having issues uploading?

There does seem to be a gremlin on the go currently which is causing image uploads to corrupt, but usually deleting the upload and just retrying will sort that.  

Videos cannot be uploaded directly to the forum any more.  This was disabled a month or two back as they were chewing up vast, vast swathes of our storage space and bandwidth.  So if you're trying to upload a video, that won't work.  You will need to upload it to an external host such as YouTube and then link to it from your post.

If I've misunderstood the problem you're having completely, sorry!  If you can give some further details of what is (or isn't!) happening hopefully either I or someone on the tech team will be able to look into it and advise.

I could t up load images or text, it’s fine now… odd

Just a heads up.  Not that I think anyone can actually do anything about it - Over the last week GMail has insistently been flagging all notification emails from here as spam.  I've always tagged them as "not spam" when I notice, but not sure how much that actually does to coax the algorithm into behaving.

Just seemed worth mentioning in case you get complaints of missing PM notifications, account activation emails etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2023 at 11:09, dozeydustman said:

Are there any known issues with browsers and the forum software?

I keep getting logged out at random on Firefox, things don’t show properly on Safari and I refuse to use Chrome.

This is on iPhone, iPad and any desktop/laptop I sign in on (Windows or Mac)

Have installed Chrome and still having this issue on iPhone and iPad, laptop too old for latest version of chrome but has stopped logging me out at random on Firefox.

Another chrome user here on PC and Android with no issues, except for a slightly random glitch where another web page will overlay when I'm trying to type something and the only way to restore it is to press backspace. 

I think that could be an issue with Chrome rather than the forum software, but if anyone has any ideas on what might be causing it and most importantly how to stop it I'm all ears! I do remember someone else having this a while back but don't remember if a solution was ever found?

8 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Another chrome user here on PC and Android with no issues, except for a slightly random glitch where another web page will overlay when I'm trying to type something and the only way to restore it is to press backspace. 

I think that could be an issue with Chrome rather than the forum software, but if anyone has any ideas on what might be causing it and most importantly how to stop it I'm all ears! I do remember someone else having this a while back but don't remember if a solution was ever found?

It was I who had previously experienced it.

Still happens occasionally - generally right when you are trying to type a post and copy text in.

Never did get a solution, or even acknowledgement of the issue.

Only ever experienced it replying to this forum, none of the other ones I use. All accessed via same browser on the same device.