Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

As far as I can see that's a code error on the board software.  It takes you to the post you actually want, then it loads any/all images on the thread, which moves the post you want down and leaves you looking at something you've already seen.

If there's no images on the thread, it works properly.

On 7/24/2021 at 4:49 PM, SiC said:

Anyone noticed Chrome on Android crashes when replying to a PM? As soon as I tap on the text box, boom it crashes. Threads no problem. 

Just checked with my version of Chrome and I didn't experience the issue (Samsung Note 10 Plus) What version are you running?

SmartSelect_20210728-100307_Google Play services.jpg

On 7/24/2021 at 8:16 PM, brownnova said:

I believe it just stops you from seeing their content. 

but, irritatingly, will put a little notification on a thread saying that there's a post there, but it's not being shown because you're blocking content from xxx member.

Which, if you're nosey, means the forum software is basically dangling the post in front of you, almost daring you to click the "reveal this" button.  Just bloody block it!!  I don't need the software to proudly tell me it's doing it's job, just do it silently!

5 minutes ago, Talbot said:

but, irritatingly, will put a little notification on a thread saying that there's a post there, but it's not being shown because you're blocking content from xxx member.

Which, if you're nosey, means the forum software is basically dangling the post in front of you, almost daring you to click the "reveal this" button.  Just bloody block it!!  I don't need the software to proudly tell me it's doing it's job, just do it silently!

I wanted to set up a discussion forum for a large group of people who all hung out on forums a decade ago. I found a great open source one that deployed in a snap, was super happy. Until I realised it had no block function and the devs had no intention of adding one. Some of the people who would have wanted to join would have stayed away if other people had joined and they couldn't block them, long standing beef. Made the whole thing a non-starter and now we're on Facebook. So annoying.

On 24/07/2021 at 16:49, SiC said:

Anyone noticed Chrome on Android crashes when replying to a PM? As soon as I tap on the text box, boom it crashes. Threads no problem. 

Yes.  I've had this for months now, have mentioned it elsewhere a few times.

If you choose "use desktop site" within chrome it doesn't crash but it's obviously a bit tricky to use.

14 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Just checked with my version of Chrome and I didn't experience the issue (Samsung Note 10 Plus) What version are you running?

SmartSelect_20210728-100307_Google Play services.jpg

On a pixel 5, same issue with a MiA3.  

Screenshot_20210728-101829.png

28 minutes ago, loserone said:

On a pixel 5, same issue with a MiA3.  

Screenshot_20210728-101829.png

Interesting. Never had this before but I had a Pixel 4XL. I reckon this has only happened since I've downgraded to a Pixel 5 after my 4XL broke. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 6:01 AM, Slartibartfast said:

Yeah unfortunately that's a common issue that isn't limited to this site. It would be good if it would wait until the images loaded before scrolling to the post, but that also has its disadvantages

Don't all the accepted forms of embedded image have their pixel size in their metadata? 

Going back to my HTML days that was a feature of the code, you could embed the size of the image so the page displayed correctly while the images trickled in on your 14.4 dialup.

Wonder if that's something to suggest back in their feedback?

3 minutes ago, loserone said:

Working fine here.  You being hard on the cookies? 

Good point, yes I am actually, I have Adblock and Trace both running, Trace has a tendency to break things although I've never had a problem with YouTube embeds before now. 

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but on Chrome on Android (several versions of either across several phones, Pixel 2 XL, Samsung G7, Redmi k30) inserting a smiley into a post completely breaks the inline editor.  You can't delete the smiley (it starts inserting chunks of code into the page every time you hit backspace) - you also can't put a newline in after it. It also seems to break the toolbar buttons, so you can't insert more than one.

44 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

8) Works OK for me (Moto G6) on chrome (though I often have to click twice on 'submit reply')

I always have to press twice on any submit button on this forum. The first press always just jumps up the page and does nothing.

On 8/19/2021 at 11:56 AM, juular said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but on Chrome on Android (several versions of either across several phones, Pixel 2 XL, Samsung G7, Redmi k30) inserting a smiley into a post completely breaks the inline editor.  You can't delete the smiley (it starts inserting chunks of code into the page every time you hit backspace) - you also can't put a newline in after it. It also seems to break the toolbar buttons, so you can't insert more than one.

This happens for me on both Firefox and Chrome on my phone about 9/10 times if I try to insert a user tag as well...which is why I just don't try any more.