Scenic facelift Mk1 shite or not???

bezzabsa

as the 'newest' of these i now 16 years old, are they classed as Shite now, or are they just modern crap??

the newer ones are gradually committing hari kari and thinning the numbers - but the earlier ones still seem to be holding their own..

The RX4 has a cult following as its a strictly french in its design and use...more of a soft roader but still quite capable..

I know scenics aren't the best looking thing ever designed..but isn't that the point of a shite car?? Hard to love but able to burrow into out hearts??

now I have owned all sorts of old clapped out rust buckets.. but this scenic I have brought and used for 15 months..now I don't clean it, cherish it or park away from others not to get dents..

But it has done everything i've asked of it, never FTP , it carries me and my kids and mother around in comfort, i have transported all sorts in the rear both with, and without the seats in place..

and somehow even tho i keep looking, everything else i look at just doesn't seem to add up to the scenic..

so i have a car i don't "Love" .. but I also can't see me getting rid of it anytime soon...

I think I have Shite-itis

ps... now a bit cleaner, has tinted windows, and leather interior

post-23086-0-50509100-1556564520_thumb.jpg

I got this one in about 2009 specifically to cart Mountain bikes around.

Was a V reg diseasel with 180k and I paid £350 for it. Had lived on a farm and stank but a couple of hours cleaning and the smell had nearly gone.

Was a really good car. Absolutely great at what it was bought for. Had a tape player which was regularly used to blast out Def Leppards Hysteria.

post-3133-0-38523700-1556566124_thumb.jpg

Probably shouldn't have got rid of it really but wanted something older, less useful, less reliable and more costly to run as I'm a bit of a tit.

I got this one in about 2009 specifically to cart Mountain bikes around.

Was a V reg diseasel with 180k and I paid £350 for it. Had lived on a farm and stank but a couple of hours cleaning and the smell had nearly gone.

Was a really good car. Absolutely great at what it was bought for. Had a tape player which was regularly used to blast out Def Leppards Hysteria.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20190429_202557.jpg

Probably shouldn't have got rid of it really but wanted something older, less useful, less reliable and more costly to run as I'm a bit of a tit.

love the colour....most are silver ...including the 2 on my drive!!!

mine is a 2002 Fidji auto...cost £300 

interior was minging...REALLY minging.. first job was swap the interior out for leather, used 3 packs of wipes on the dash and steering wheel ..

its had cam belt..alternator belt. full service...front bushes and drop links..brakes and tyres..

But as I said , its never failed to start, or to finish a journey..

only downside is it drinks like a fish :(   22-25 round town... 33 on a run...

Long, boring story ahoy;

On my right hand I am missing a bit of fingerprint. My (now ex-) wife swapped a lovely Golf Gti for a nearly new Renault Scenic mk1, back in the day. Fuck me, it had every problem going, warranty was useless, Renault didn’t care, the thing would break down almost every week. Once, when laden with my three kids and all the holiday stuff, the bastard brakes caught fire. We got out safe but I burned my fingertips in the process. I recall the bastard thing not starting at Centre Parcs and passing families just looking sorry for me, and the odd Dad giving that knowing look that said “‘90s Renault mate, you either know fuck all about cars, or your missus chose it”. The car went from nearly new to scrap in a couple of years. Renault do some lovely chod; 25, Espace, etc... but there’s nothing to redeem the Scenic in my opinion.

Typed out on a work iPhone with one roasted finger.

I paid £200 for a 1.6 auto with full mot and it still worked properly when the mot ran out !

It needed 4 new brake discs and pads for the mot and the price to replace them was nearly £120  

i thought £120 + mot price also 2 tyres   would it last another year ?  decided not to risk it  still got most of it but i miss it 

Definitely shite now. Gains points for being more durable than its replacement, always a good sign of shite status. Also goes for egg-shaped Cit Picassos, which seem to be outlasting the C4 model handily.

Talk of Meganes reminds me that recently I saw a very well cared for Coupe, in a nice metallic red, with the (in)famous IDE 2.0 engine! Think it was on an X plate.

Definitely shite.

Mates parents had a pre facelift one that needed a ton of welding for an MOT about 2009, they got the work done, gave it to their cousin for free, who promptly parked it in the front garden and it hasn't moved since. Still sits there to this day.

A rotten Megane Scenic is a bit of an odd garden ornament, but there you go.

I don't mind these, but really I know nothing about them. I'm amazed just how thirsty it is! 15 months trouble free motoring is excellent though!

thirst surprised me....but it is a 1600 16v, 1500kg or so, not exactly aerodynamic, and the box is a dog..4 speed that eventually locks up around 40ish, so round town its cogswapping between 2nd and 3rd.

what really got me was 33Mpg going to Great Yarmouth...BUT it's mainly A roads..plus loads of lights, islands etc..would like to try it on the M way to see what it does at a steady 60 ish..

The Manual one I brought to flip managed 28pg on the  jaunt to the MOT station about 8 miles away..and pulls much much better than the auto...actually rapid for what it is.. makes mine feel like a NA Diesel from the 80's!!