Mitsi Pajero 2.5 TD intercooler cleaning.

Tetleysmooth

Well, Mrs Tet has had the Paj for over 10 years now.

Today, it failed the mot for only the second time in her ownership - on emissions.

Two weeks ago I did an oil, fuel and air filter service.

I've read about cleaning out the intercooler. I must admit, it's not something I've thought about before now, but it does make sense.

So, have any of you people cleaned out an intercooler? What did you use? I saw a you tube vid where a chap used kerosene, but I don't really want to use anything that volatile. I like Mrs Tet as she is, and not barbecued.

Do you think paraffin might do the job?

I'm also going to go around making sure everything is tight, for instance inlet manifold bolts etc.

Did 2.5 diesels of this vintage have an egr valve that can be cleaned out?

I've ordered a bottle of diesel Cataclean and will be taking the car for an Italian tune up.

Is there anything else you lot can suggest?

I think a major problem with the car is how it's used. It does a max of 10 miles 4 days per week in the morning and evening rush hours mainly town driving, so it's probably sooted up.

All further suggestions gratefully received.

Ta.

intercooler.....clean it with petrol or loads of carb cleaner, needs summat that will shift grimy oily shit..have seen it done with a HOTwater  pressure washer or even a decent steam cleaner..

personally I'd rip the cat off, blank the EGR - If fitted.. then give it a good old Italian tune up..also try adding a gallon of petrol to 1/2 tank of diesel...then the Italian tune up..

If you remove the inlet manifold you will be shocked at the built up gunk in there.

The egr causes it and ideally should be blanked off.

I'd clean it with either brake cleaner or petrol.

Then I'd remove the 2 bolts on the turbo wastegate actuator and put a couple of mm with of washers under it to space it out a bit then tighten again, should give a bit more boost and burn a bit cleaner.

Check all pipes from the turbo to the intercooler/inlet manifold are tight and not leaking and see what happens then, there is a max fuel adjust screw on the pump, if it fails again then back it off a bit.

Then turn it up again when you get home and add a bit more as the 2.5 isn't quick anyway and needs all the fuel it can get.

I've had 4 of them and I've recently acquired a MK1 swb manual.

It can be made to hustle along quite well with a couple of tweeks on the pump and tightening the wastegate up a bit.

If you remove the inlet manifold you will be shocked at the built up gunk in there.

The egr causes it and ideally should be blanked off.

I'd clean it with either brake cleaner or petrol.

Then I'd remove the 2 bolts on the turbo wastegate actuator and put a couple of mm with of washers under it to space it out a bit, should give a bit more boost and burn a bit cleaner.

Check all pipes from the turbo to the intercooler/inlet manifold are tight and not leaking and see what happens then, there is a max fuel adjust screw on the pump, if it fails again then back it off a bit.

Then turn it up again when you get home and add a bit more as the 2.5 isn't quick anyway and needs all the fuel it can get.

I've had 4 of them and I've recently acquired a MK1 swb manual.

It can be made to hustle along quite well with a couple of tweeks on the pump and tightening the wastegate up a bit.

I know so little about the workings of a diesel, I'd probably bugger it completely if I did all that. Thanks for the advice though. Does a '93 2.5 TD have an egr, and if so, where is it?

Paraffin and kero are pretty much the same thing. Either of those or petrol would be OK for cleaning the intercooler.

They do have an EGR, if you can post a pic of the top of the engine should be able to point it out. Attached to the inlet manifold with a saucer thing on it with a little vac hose attached.

On the disco I just take the intercooler off and fill it with about 500ml of brake cleaner, swill it about and may repeat if the stuff that comes out is minging.

If you can , just leave it to air out. Or put an airline blowing air through it to get the brake clean vapour out.

If you don't Any vapour left gets ignited as soon as the engine starts and will make you jump as the car revs up sharpish.

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you all last night, but Game of Thrones took over.

Mrs Tet and me normally stay up and watch the 2am showing, but we had the 8am mot slot on Monday morning, so had to retire a tad earlier.

EGR blanking kit, Cataclean diesel and paraffin ordered. Hope it all shows up pretty quickly, as we're hoping to get this re-tested before the 7 day deadline.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, they've certainly helped.

• 2 weeks later...

During my absence from the site, I managed to get the tractor through the mot.

I cleaned out the intercooler with carb cleaner, removed the egr valve and blanked off the ports, and put a bottle of Cataclean diesel system cleaner in it.

It starts now with virtually no smoke. Actually it's the best I've seen it. 

Fly in the ointment was it was left for a week after the pass, as Mrs Tet had a few days off. She went to use it on Wednesday, and....flat battery. It's also got a brand new battery on it now.

Nice one Tet.

When I was looking for the Paj I had a few years ago I looked at a mk1, (same 2.5 engine I think) I had the horn for the truck but it was smoking like an absolute beagle.

The seller insisted it was just the EGR but I gave it a swerve.

I think they are quite common problems on these though.