What is the best car you have ever been lent?

Six-cylinder

I lent my Sapphire Cosworth to my brother so I could have his Sharan TDI auto to take a load of mates and me to the airport for a stag do in Vegas.

He loved it to start with.

When I got it back he said "fuck me how much petrol does it use?!"

I lent my Audi A6 2.8 quattro avant to an ex-employer for a trip to Heathrow, he lent me his Bentley Turbo R in exchange.

Funnily enough, he was fuming when he realised that the Audi got through very nearly as much fuel as the Bentley. He'd saved about £15 over the 450 or so miles.

Courtesy of Skattrd.

He's lent me a couple of cars in the past, but he would as he's that kind of guy and I'm his little brother. :D

There was the vw boring 1.9 pd, super reliable and comfy and ultimately dull (sorry bro, I've never liked them). It helped us out for a while and lived on long after, in fact it's still parked at his new house waiting for a new engine/to be bridged.

I'm sure there have been others in between but my favourite still is the Umm. It came and lived in Norfolk for about 6 months and took us on a few adventures around the green lanes of this county. It's like driving a s2 land rover but with power steering and it has a drivers seat out of a Bentley. The passenger has to make do with a Rover leatherette seat.

It was always a talking point and I found it quite useful as a pick up, it shifted about 4 tonnes of wood in total, which kept us warm all winter.

It returned North a few years ago to have a new steering box fitted or the current one repaired, can't remember fully. It's still at Bil's garage waiting to be fixed I think.

I reckon he took it back as I don't think he liked the way I parked it, especially when he was the passenger. Oops.

18e9b18e1b58404c4bcff8782038a453.jpgb8e38a88cd6ca7e764ceaaaf537f7372.jpg2ca94fdf4c60923780ad64b2225d3e02.jpg

I think the only car I’ve been lent was my housemate at the time’s Corsa B Merit when my E30 was in for MOT. I entered a roundabout at a speed roughly equal to what was comfortable for the lowered bm and it just sailed straight on. He called it Howard if I remember right.

post-19075-0-47531100-1556389071_thumb.jpg

In 2007 I was paid by a friend to drive this actual car from TRGB ,from whom he had bought it,to his house in West Cork.With his permission,I toured around Wales in it for a weekend before diving it over.A few weeks later he also let me borrow it for a weekend in Kerry.

He kept it for 18 months then sold it back to TRGB for the same price he bought it for,£7000.It's worth £18-20000 now.

It was most enjoyable to drive.

The garage I used to take my Saab to would lend me anything from the car sales lot on the same site that was legal and running (so there usually wasn't much choice ;) )  Once I had a TALBOT TAGORA, although only a 2.2, for a few days when some parts took a while to arrive. That was 20 years ago, but I've never seen another one since :o

djimbob lent me a Triumph Dolomite when I was at Uni and skint (and my SIII Land Rover was fucked - again).

It was a bit of a nail - the headlights were held in with wob, pop rivets and bits of SMA baby milk cans. In fact, there wasn't much of it not fashioned from wob, if memory serves. There was a stereo, but it was just dumped on the front parcel shelf affair and shot around everywhere when you went round corners. It wasn't really stereo either, cos there was only one speaker.

If you went on the motorway for more than five minutes and dared venture above 50mph, you were rewarded with the red oil pressure warning light at low revs thereafter for the rest of the journey. And, for some reason, one other thing that sticks in my mind is that it had only one wheeltrim. But it allowed me to carry on living my happy-go-lucky not-a-care-in-the-world undergraduate lifestyle while I saved enough dosh for a new gearbox or whatever the fuck the useless, useless pile of shite had broken this time. It's long dead now, of course - RIP UDJ399S - I think I may even have been it's last occupier?

Happy days!

A Renault Clio 172, my route to work was mostly through country lanes, the 2 days I had it I shaved off 10 minutes off my commute, these cars handle fantastically, the same person lent me there 306 Glx, unfortunately this didn't go well.... I swerved and hit a kerb at 40 mph, leaving the wheels Kerbed and the steering wheel off centre..

I was lent my uncles Porsche 996 turbo when I was 25 to take a girl out, I was used to fairly quick cars. (had a tweaked 200SX at the time) it was fucking awesome, still want one now.

That reminds me, mate was moving house and let me take his 996. 30 miles, single carriageway, barely 100 yards of it straight.

Never seen so much traffic, Lorries, tractors. I don't think I got above 45mph.

Two I remember fondly were both years ago. A garage's tow truck damaged my knackered Consul Cortina, and rather than go through the insurance they said they would fix it and lend me a car, so I said ok. Delivered an Alfa 33 Cloverleaf, practically brand new. Took them a week to repair mine. In that week I got a bad neck ache from leaning out of the window of the Alfa listening to the exhaust notes.

And my late brother in law leant me his Toyota Crown estate when my MkII Cavalier SRi130 lost its exhaust system. It was battle scarred and sun bleached (in Essex?), but was just lovely to drive

Don't know if it counts but I've currently got a 18 plate Merc E class 220D courtesy of the insurer of the fellow who rammed my V70. I prefer the Volvo. Better seats, better headlamps, better waftage. Mind you, I'm impressed by 190 odd horsepower and 7.1 seconds 0-60 from a 2 litre diesel. Which reminds me, the Volvo five pot sounds better. Moral - save money, buy an old Volvo, not a current Merc.

...most comfortable car ive been lent; my sisters old 1.8 petrol v40 Volvo with heated seats; it used to drink lots petrol n puked out whatever oil was in its sump, but them heated seats kept me rear toasty in the cold winter the 3 weeks I had it - I even used to  seek out the 'couple of euro more spendy petrol at a tended petrol stations as I didn't want to get out of it on a trip...

most entertaining was an E46 BMW M drop top a mate had; had it for a day; it was a car he selling on, n had most of its issues sorted when he lent it to me; had to pick him up that evening; I had the top down n it was hard to converse; I ragged it mercilessly- he got very animated several times as the oil pressure light used to light up as I gunned it various gears up the motorway... I drifted it around roundabouts on the way back to his gaff; somehow we're still good mates...

...when I was in Auz, I had an English mate, who was 'from good stock'; silver spooned but he was 'an alright lad to talk to' - I met him one night in Sydney when myself n my brother, showed him how pool was played... we stayed in contact n I used to weld some his cars that needed the rego inspection; round off the day by having a few beers in the evening...

...one night the conversation turned to 'the love of your life' n he confessed he still loved a south African girl he met while living over there; working as a flight instructor... I thought it was the beer talking

...long story short; 5 days later I went round to his n he announced he was flying a plane he'd borrowed over to SA to 'try n find her'... he handed me the keys to his 88 LWB Toyota landcruiser he'd bought 4 weeks previously; totally 'enduro'd' up with, winch, heavey duty full length roof rack, camping gear in back, awning, half dozen camping chairs, a portable stove,shovels, knobbly tyres, extra road tyres, fold up barbeque in the back, auxiliary battery etc- the lot... 

... I had it for the next 10 weeks, n used to drive it to work, n head out to the sticks with it at the weekends for some camping etc; I love Toyotas, n really fell in love with that jeep; while it was lifted n full of gear it drove so nice n it seemed literally invincible ...ironically he flew back home, having met his ex-flame but she had a ring on her finger n wasn't for flushing her new lad... ...I really hated giving back over them keys...

2 spring to mind in 1991.

I had a little mini 1000 that needed brakes bleeding so my mate took it and lent me a '78 bright orange allegro 1.3hl.

Cracking car!!

Later on that year, over Xmas I worked at City electrical factors and the manager had a 1990 rangerover vogue 3.9efi softdash and as he was going to America over Xmas he picked me to have the rangerover for the 10 days he was off. Including the company fuel card too..

I was, for 10 days the cock of our street!! 

It’s not at all shite... but...

Back a few years ago when I was trying to be all young upwardly mobile executive type and bought a brand new BMW 1 Series to fit in in the car park. it went badly wrong after about 2 years and needed the ABS system completely replacing. As it was going to be a month in with them they hired a car for me. It had to be a BMW and the only one the hire company had was a brand new 530d estate.

It was a superb car! Fast, comfortable, spacious, a really superb auto box, and it handled surprisingly well.

I liked it far more than I should have to be honest...

Although the worst car I ever got lent was much more Shite! When I had an Alfa 156 it had to go back to the back street charlatan who sold me it for a repair straight after purchase. I said I needed a car for the day whilst he fitted it so he lent me a Vectra B which looked like it had been pulled out of the ocean, was Pogweasal pink, had more ash in the interior than at a Lambert and Butler aficionados convention, oh and it only ran on three cylinders!

It was hanging!

Should’ve known he was a wrong’un from that experience alone. The Alfa was clocked and buggered.

Sapphire Cosworth, to collect the fish&chips in when we were building a 2CV racer many moons ago.

And then said racer was lent to me as a 'courtesy car' (AKA convenient shakedown opportunity!) while my Dyane was in for some work.  Full race-spec, liveried and road-legal, it surprised a few 'faster' cars around the WS postcodes   <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_cool.png" alt="B)">  :ph34r:

Domestic Management was thrilled* to have it parked outside Chaseracer Towers for a week...  :D

A brand new audi 80? Tdi in 1991.

My mams freinds. I had to take them to the yacht club in Blyth so they could all go on the piss. Provided I taxi'd them home at the end of the day they said I could use the car meanwhile. I was 19. Picked up 4 good mates and spent all day using a tank of diesel maxing it out on the Coast Road (Newcastle-Tynemouth). I must have aged the poor thing 10 years in 5 hours.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

2 spring to mind in 1991.

Later on that year, over Xmas I worked at City electrical factors and the manager had a 1990 rangerover vogue 3.9efi softdash

Three years before the soft dash was released. Impressive!

When working for a Soho travel agent during student days, I frequently had to take home one of the company minibuses  after collecting inbound tour passengers and ferrying them to their hotels, so Toyota Model-F Space Cruiser (bouncy suspension as standard) or Ford Transit n/a diesel (gutless going uphill, but surprisingly economical on cross-country run).

Training for my job, two of my past bosses got me to look after their cars while they went off on holiday, so I got to look after a K11 Micra (terrible car) and a Merc C123 280CE (flea-infested velour seats, thanks to owner's dog).

I was once let loose on an E39 528i - as a modern it was forgettable, except for the brakes - they were the best bit. As sharp as the CX's.