Nissan Micra versus Toyota Starlet...but who would win the fight?

volvoman

Micra versus Starlet...fight fight fight...but who would win this fight?

This Micra is pretty basic, 1.0 engine, no power steering, keep fit windows, keep fit sunroof, skinny steel wheels/tyres...but only 21 000 miles.

The Starlet is a bit more equipped, 1.3 engine, power windows/steering/sunroof, central locking, alloys, clock, rev counter etc...an 75 000 miles.

I think the Micra is up against it? this is not really a fair fight...A better equipped Micra, with a 1.3 engine, an all the toys, could be a contender.........................but ultimately, i think the Starlet will win?

So, fellow shitters, who do you think wins this fight??

post-27235-0-11681000-1556359378_thumb.jpg

post-27235-0-57825400-1556359408_thumb.jpg

post-27235-0-66753700-1556359437_thumb.jpg

I have to agree with the comments made so far...The Starlet is the winner.

The Starlet is just a better car all round, feels more solid, well built, everything just works well.

Ive been looking at Starlets recently (since i bought this one) and unlike Micras (which are plentiful) Starlets seem rare to find.

Glanzas/Turbos are just stupid amounts of money!!!...an i could only find 1 Starlet SR, which was priced at just under £1800.

It was a nice white example, with factory bodykit/rear spoiler...but £1800 for it ???

Anyway, this bloody red one, seems to be turning "pinker" by the day, so i reckon i may have to t-cut/polish the bitch soon.

A couple of pics.

post-27235-0-31839100-1556371497_thumb.jpg

post-27235-0-86033400-1556371521_thumb.jpg

post-27235-0-74415900-1556371541_thumb.jpg

post-27235-0-73461600-1556371567_thumb.jpg

post-27235-0-86076100-1556371588_thumb.jpg

Pains me to say it, but reluctantly agree the Starlet will have the K11's pants down in a TLGP and could hold its own on the Mway, whereas the K11 would feel...inadequate.

For urban driving and blue rinse shopping the K11 would win hands down.

Would be interesting to compare with the 1.3 K11.

Pains me to say it, but reluctantly agree the Starlet will have the K11's pants down in a TLGP and could hold its own on the Mway, whereas the K11 would feel...inadequate.

For urban driving and blue rinse shopping the K11 would win hands down.

Would be interesting to compare with the 1.3 K11.

I still think the 1.3 K11 will lose.

K11. It’s a mans car.

Starlet is just too fancy pants for a ladder. Ooh get you.

Ha ha ha....................I havent come across any car yet, thats too darn fancy pants to not take a ladder 8)

Never driven a Starlet so I can't comment, but for town driving very little beats a K11 IMHO.

I think the fact they're a lot cheaper and more common so easier to get secondhand bits for would swing it for me too, but then again, so might a drive in a Starlet.

If both cars were brand new I'd probably say the Starlet had more going for it.

In 2019 I'd say a good Micra  1.0 was a much better prospect than a totally shagg**d/neglected Starlet but maybe I'm missing the point entirely.

Nope, Micra all the way. Mrs PBK's one has been virtually indestructible. 

New in 1997 and it has needed only very, very recently a heater resister, plugs, battery and alternator. Thats down mostly to piddly journeys on an infrequent basis. Obviously service items too.

It is solid, comfy, great visibility and nips along at a fair old pace. Simple engineering with no fancy shite to go wrong.

No rust on this one.

Snap...............................well, almost!!!!.................his Starlet is less "specced out" than mine.

Linky - https://www.gumtree.com/p/toyota/1996-p-toyota-starlet-1.3-sportif-1-lady-owner-62k-miles-fsh-cambelt-superb-stunning-timewarp-/1338246217

Beware though, "Steve the dealer" uses the word stunning, quit a lot!

Looks to be a nice example though.

Disclaimer - I have no connection with the seller in any way/shape/form.

Nope, Micra all the way. Mrs PBK's one has been virtually indestructible. 

New in 1997 and it has needed only very, very recently a heater resister, plugs, battery and alternator. Thats down mostly to piddly journeys on an infrequent basis. Obviously service items too.

It is solid, comfy, great visibility and nips along at a fair old pace. Simple engineering with no fancy shite to go wrong.

No rust on this one.

Nice one, having no rust on yours.

Has your Micra got a sunroof? It would seem that the sunroof K11's suffer the worst rust problems??

My sons R. Reg K11 (51 000 miles) has no sunroof. His also has no rust...his sills/floor, front cross member, bodywork, are all rust free.

Also, my Starlet had a small rust patch on passenger side door sill, an had that welded for its last MOT.

I must admit i'm taking a shining to the K11's more and more lately.. especially in any other colour than white or silver..(they all seem to be those colours round here)  and the Red on that one looks fantastic

I must admit i'm taking a shining to the K11's more and more lately.. especially in any other colour than white or silver..(they all seem to be those colours round here)  and the Red on that one looks fantastic

Cheers, whilst i dont really like a red car...I seem to have ended up with 2 of the buggers lately. The Micras red is good right now, but the Starlets red has got a case of the early "Pinks".

If i could choose an ideal K11 colour...I would go for their dark orange(found on the Vibes) or a purple or crazy green one.

Both look amazing but the Albert Bartlet HAS to loose because it's just got too many hinges. Might be good for dogging, but the K11 is a true race car with the correct amount of doors.

Ha ha ha...i like your choice of words sir...as in -  Albert Bartlet.

Youve given me an idea...from this day fourth, cause of her red(slightly pink) exterior, she is no longer a Starlet...but quite clearly...The Harlot!

Generally, i loathe it when people humanize their cars FFS. This is the 1st an last time i will use she/her for a feckin car.

• 6 months later...

Update time.

For the last 7 months, ive been using the Micra, as a daily...It never missed a beat, just put a fresh MOT on it too.

Almost at 26 000 miles now, so ive put nearly 5000 miles on this little beauty. The Micra Dot puts a smile on my face, everytime i drive it.

But......I dont really wanna use it through the Winter, so ive swapped my insurance over to the Harlot (Starlet) now, an plan to use that as my daily.

With just needing 2 tyres an a rear wiper blade, the Micra Dot performed very well, these last 7 months...will the Harlot do the same??

Round one...goes to the Micra

8 hours ago, volvoman said:

Update time.

For the last 7 months, ive been using the Micra, as a daily...It never missed a beat, just put a fresh MOT on it too.

Almost at 26 000 miles now, so ive put nearly 5000 miles on this little beauty. The Micra Dot puts a smile on my face, everytime i drive it.

But......I dont really wanna use it through the Winter, so ive swapped my insurance over to the Harlot (Starlet) now, an plan to use that as my daily.

With just needing 2 tyres an a rear wiper blade, the Micra Dot performed very well, these last 7 months...will the Harlot do the same??

Round one...goes to the Micra

If we can get our cars side-by-side, that would be a great photo opportunity!

On 11/3/2019 at 9:44 PM, Fumbler said:

If we can get our cars side-by-side, that would be a great photo opportunity!

Ive took the Micra Dot off the road for the Winter now, so it has no tax or insurance at this time. But i did give it a fresh MOT 1st, which seemed to make sense.

So, any side by side photos will have to wait for next year i guess. I visit Tonbridge every Sunday, so how far are you from Tonbridge?

Heres a thread i did on the Micra from last year (in case you missed it) to show more pics of the Micra  -  

• 2 months later...

Round 2...goes to the Starlet.

Better brakes/suspension/ride/power etc...............................but lets see what is what, after 5000 miles in the Starlet...the Micra didnt miss a beat (when clocking up the 5000 miles).

The Starlet looks like it will need a Starter Motor soon enough??? it sometimes clicks/fails to engage.