Mot legal cheat

lanciamatt

That was all Chompysnake's doing. Under my watch it would only do the smokey thing if you dropped a cog and booted it, as is normal. Chompy felt is was 'too slow' so did some fiddling, killed the fuel consumption, and made it accelerate like a petrol car.

I still found it fairly economical, but he was right, it was hilarious fun! Silly childish smokescreen fun! Think I hit 100mph in 3rd once... Certainly used to sit in l3 alot...

Phew - I'd have been forever worrying that you lost out on Billy's Puma....

The quote my daughter had was twice what she pays for the Cooper which went up 50% when she moved to an L8 (Toxteth- as in toxic and death) post code, so it probably wouldn't have been a great car for her or her musician boyfriend.

Did you know the International measurement of diesel smoke. SI UNIT. Is the Hatridge smoke unit. Lucas Industries PLC owned a company in Buckingham called Lucas Hartridge LTD and they make diesel test machines including a smoke test machine.

This worked on the principle of taking the exhaust through a long tube and shining a bright light through it and then measuring the % of light getting to the other end of the tube.

Crude but effective.

Back in the 70's we used to judge the emissions from power station chimneys on the Ringleman scale. Very similar, just a series of boxes printed on a piece of paper ( in black and white) that got darker. You held it up and "guessed" which box the emissions were the same as. Then filled in a form and sent it off to the Government (Alkali Inspector those days). Always had to be below a certain level, amazingly was.......

Are you sure you test regularly? They binned the advice about abs lamps with the old vts devices about four years back, and it's been ok to pass/advise a warning lamp not illuminating at all since 2012....

So I'm assuming then that on a '96 vehicle a non working abs light will just be an advisory then?

Actually, I checked the manual and they changed it again! No abs lamp is now a major fail again like it was before 2012.

You used to see some years back with the abs light wired to the oil pressure switch.

How do you know if a vehicle should have ABS? Obviously if the module is visible and you get no light, but what about the vehicles that have it hidden? E.g. the Laguna II has it hidden. No idea if the base spec had them missing, but still how you know?

You go on observing it having ABS fitted, it's generally quite obvious compared to passive hydraulic brakes, and I'm following my way along the brake pipes with a torch as part of the inspection.

Also Laguna 2 isn't that well hidden if you're looking up at the bottom of the car over an inspection pit. Iirc it's under the chassis leg behind the NS headlamp.

It's a '96 Merc c180. Abs works perfectly but light is nearly always on. According to the diagnostics it's the rear sensor in the diff housing but it's seized in solid and needs drilling out. I'll have to have another go at getting it out. I gave up last time before I damaged it.