Mot legal cheat

lanciamatt

It's an NA diesel though isn't it?

FWIW none of the NA dervs I've owned put out much in the way of smoke. Perhaps a claggy carbon mark on the drive here after cold start, but no real 'smokers' IME.

You want to come and see my one start up! Clag city... And when you push on

My thema was a development car for Ricardo so it's got modern ish injection system on it. There is basically hardly any smoke really, only on hard acceleration, and cold start. It's a 94 m reg but has got injectors and pump and egr that was put into production cars in 2000s

What always gets me is a diesel these days idling in workshop is unbearable it burns your eyes, yet there is no visable smoke, but you can stand behind a 80s diesel and you can't see yet it doesn't burn your eyes, and the smoke smells different

I've noticed that my 307 smells distinctly different to the 205, not quite as minging as real modern diesels, but definitely different. Both however smell like winning.

So what is the situation with a abs light on in a '96 vehicle? If i just pull the bulb will it pass? Reading what little I have it says the Abs system has to be removed for it then to pass which seems a bit extreme. Also if I present it running on lpg what emissions would it be tested on? 

presented running on lpg, mot testers apply a fiddle factor. i forget what it is though.

What always gets me is a diesel these days idling in workshop is unbearable it burns your eyes, yet there is no visable smoke, but you can stand behind a 80s diesel and you can't see yet it doesn't burn your eyes, and the smoke smells different

You want to see our shunter running on red. When I rag it across the yard it smokes the main road out

Weird.

Admittedly my experience is of VAG stuff but loads of the TDi's bilge out smoke on boost while the SDi's are always cleaner by some margin.

Nah I meant the little pug. It's 1.8D but I think still working through its veg fetish

Aye. Modern stuff makes my eyes water and my lungs wheeze - yet I can wander around in the morning in a shed full of buses - including a stone cold Gardner 6LXW engined Daimler CVG6, a National with a worn fuel pump and an Olympian which tends to run on five cylinders when cold...you can't see the car side of the workshop for the haze, but it doesn't bother me.

What modern diesels throw out though seems - at least superficially - far more unpleasant. Obviously long term and in actual environmental terms the story is way more complex. Neither set me off with my asthma mind you half as bad as the slightest whiff of cigarette smoke which will have me reaching for my inhaler in seconds.

I've always been staggered by how clean my van seems to run. Now the exhaust exits out the side I've verified that as I can see it in the mirror...no visible smoke when in motion at all, just a slight black puff on startup. Yes that is a normally aspirated one. My old Corsa 1.5TD never used to smoke either, despite it having 140K on the clock and me driving it everywhere like I stole it.

My old XUD Xantia used to be fairly clean, though if you had been doing a lot of town driving for a while you did tend to be aware of the amount of soot it dumped out the back the first time you gave it a boot full of throttle and revs...the black smudge on the nearside rear bumper corner used to give it away a bit too.

Think there was talk of obd2 connection on emissions tests being used now/soon in which case it could potentially verify the vehicle spec much easier for tester. So you will have to choose a test station with older equipment or 'disconnect' pin 16 on obd port as well.

This has been in for a while , 6 months maybe , when I had the range rover tested last week he was really pissed off with it , the exhaust probe is wireless and it kept dropping the connection

He got it to work eventually but I agree with him , what was wrong with having it on a wire

My Rover with it's 200k XUD hardly puts out any smoke!

The BX's XUD has done 180000 something miles and doesn't smoke unless you rev it's knackers off in neutral (like the test they do for the MOT) at which point it disappears in a mushroom cloud. It always passes the MOT, though, so maybe it's too old or something? Because it doesn't fail, I've never looked into it any further.

Are some diesels more prone to be spectacular clagfests? It seems pretty rare these days to see anything smokey trundling about. Whenever I see smokey stuff it's a knackered van with a lean, a sketchy looking private taxi, or a hatchback of some description that looks like its been in a fight with a McDonalds bin.

You do remember your old xantia don't you? That was hilariously smokey (and fast) right up until it failed the mot. And the re test... Then arthur_foxhake ruined it by making it not smoke and barely able to move under its own power (until I tweaked it back after it passed)

Mate of mine has an old Bedford Y series coach (his bloody fault I fell in love with the damn things despite being interior to the equivalent Volvos of the period in every way) which I always wondered why he had retrofitted a far more modern tip to the tailpipe. From a late 90s B10M I think.

Turned out it was because his wife had threatened dire consequences if any more black circles appeared on the side of their (whitewashed) house...so he modified it to vent downwards rather than outwards so the huge cloud of clag it chucks out when started winds up on the ground rather than all over the wall.

You want to see our shunter running on red. When I rag it across the yard it smokes the main road out

The red diesel bit is irrelevant- it’s exactly the same fuel as road diesel .

It used to have a slightly higher sulphur content but about 6 years ago it was lowered so now it’s the same as derv but with dye in

You don't really notice normal diesel smoke until you're driving in the dark and accelerate away from the car behind, the clag lit up in their headlights.

Did you know the International measurement of diesel smoke. SI UNIT. Is the Hatridge smoke unit. Lucas Industries PLC owned a company in Buckingham called Lucas Hartridge LTD and they make diesel test machines including a smoke test machine.

This worked on the principle of taking the exhaust through a long tube and shining a bright light through it and then measuring the % of light getting to the other end of the tube.

Crude but effective.

It used to have a slightly higher sulphur content but about 6 years ago it was lowered so now it’s the same as derv but with dye in

Didn't know that. I know that coppers and vosa used to pull smokers and dip for red so I assumed that burning the die off created smoke. Urban myth then. My bad

High profile recalls ? 3 child seats in the back . Hmmmm

Gimme a Z please Carol

Not the A model thankfully!!!

There's a guy I work in the same department with and he's got a newish Q5 with 4 baldies on it

Plus he's on good money so no excuse

Trouble is he's not the type to take it in context if I mentioned it to him, he'd just get all shitty.

Might just leave a note on his windscreen as they are proper slicks!!

I'm sure red diesel smells different.

A friend thinks he sees much better fuel consumption on red, driving on private tracks.

Did you know the International measurement of diesel smoke. SI UNIT. Is the Hatridge smoke unit. Lucas Industries PLC owned a company in Buckingham called Lucas Hartridge LTD and they make diesel test machines including a smoke test machine.

This worked on the principle of taking the exhaust through a long tube and shining a bright light through it and then measuring the % of light getting to the other end of the tube.

Crude but effective.

thats why in the 70/80s ,  office lights got lowered on chains , so that they were under the layer of ciggie smoke that collected by the ceiling ......

still tuck in my memory , 10 s of people sat at desks puffing away and a big cloud of ciggie smoke above them

A car is tested as presented, so if its on lpg it will still be tested on normal petrol machine, regarding abs it should work ie not show a warning light, but since they changed the mot in May it now doesn't show the abs light procedure on the sheet the tester prints off when he logs the test. Before it would say for instance abs light comes on with ignition and goes off after 5 seconds. That's now not there, so for instance if you took the bulb out they might not notice that it doesn't illuminate

Are you sure you test regularly? They binned the advice about abs lamps with the old vts devices about four years back, and it's been ok to pass/advise a warning lamp not illuminating at all since 2012....

You do remember your old xantia don't you?

That was all Chompysnake's doing. Under my watch it would only do the smokey thing if you dropped a cog and booted it, as is normal. Chompy felt is was 'too slow' so did some fiddling, killed the fuel consumption, and made it accelerate like a petrol car.