Mot legal cheat

lanciamatt

Bit of a easy cheat for you guys who have older diesels. When the mot changed in May this year the smoke limit was one of the changes. Instead of all cars tested to same limit it now goes off the info on the chassis plate. But some older diesels will struggle to meet these. But if you cover the info or make it unreadable the tester reverts to the old test limit. So for instance a 07 plate diesel vectra before was tested to 3.5 limit, now will be 0.50 much harder to achieve, but if the info cannot be read it will still be tested at 3.5.

This was a worry wart on the 75 forum. No need for concern imo.

If a diesel car cannot pass the emissions limits which were set at the time of it's manufacture then there is something requiring fixing/adjusting/Italian tune up. Ie absolutely no different to a petrol car.

Another case of one person's theory becoming fact after the first exchange.

Think there was talk of obd2 connection on emissions tests being used now/soon in which case it could potentially verify the vehicle spec much easier for tester. So you will have to choose a test station with older equipment or 'disconnect' pin 16 on obd port as well.

Are some diesels more prone to be spectacular clagfests?  It seems pretty rare these days to see anything smokey trundling about.  Whenever I see smokey stuff it's a knackered van with a lean, a sketchy looking private taxi, or a hatchback of some description that looks like its been in a fight with a McDonalds bin.

Bit of a easy cheat for you guys who have older diesels. When the mot changed in May this year the smoke limit was one of the changes. Instead of all cars tested to same limit it now goes off the info on the chassis plate. But some older diesels will struggle to meet these. But if you cover the info or make it unreadable the tester reverts to the old test limit. So for instance a 07 plate diesel vectra before was tested to 3.5 limit, now will be 0.50 much harder to achieve, but if the info cannot be read it will still be tested at 3.5.

I was told this (by the garage) when my car was in for mot, too. This plus cataclean razzed through = pass...

Any attempt to try and pull the wool over an inspector's eyes is going to piss them off.

My tester is honest and fair and if he thought I was trying to trick him, or I tried to quote legislation to him, he may not look to pass and advise something he may have, before I started going "The Male Online" on him.

Are some diesels more prone to be spectacular clagfests?  It seems pretty rare these days to see anything smokey trundling about.  Whenever I see smokey stuff it's a knackered van with a lean, a sketchy looking private taxi, or a hatchback of some description that looks like its been in a fight with a McDonalds bin.

The 306 I owned from 2010-2013 was rather smoky off-boost.

That may* have had something to do with it being an XUD and having had me attack its fuel pump with a screwdriver.

Funnily enough, I kept a flathead screwdriver in the glovebox and adjusted it back down for MOT time.

Most modern-ish French shite seems to cuff out an inordinate amount of clag, despite supposed DPFs and modern lean-burn setups.

Having said that, our E91 touring is a 2007 model derv, and the very last of the non DPFs. If I'm driving it, and I've got some knobhead trying to mate with the back bumper, I always get some satisfaction from dropping down a cog, booting it, and leaving behind a cloud of shite for the fella to ingest.

So what is the situation with a abs light on in a '96 vehicle? If i just pull the bulb will it pass? Reading what little I have it says the Abs system has to be removed for it then to pass which seems a bit extreme. Also if I present it running on lpg what emissions would it be tested on? 

A car is tested as presented, so if its on lpg it will still be tested on normal petrol machine, regarding abs it should work ie not show a warning light, but since they changed the mot in May it now doesn't show the abs light procedure on the sheet the tester prints off when he logs the test. Before it would say for instance abs light comes on with ignition and goes off after 5 seconds. That's now not there, so for instance if you took the bulb out they might not notice that it doesn't illuminate

A car is tested as presented, so if its on lpg it will still be tested on normal petrol machine, regarding abs it should work ie not show a warning light, but since they changed the mot in May it now doesn't show the abs light procedure on the sheet the tester prints off when he logs the test. Before it would say for instance abs light comes on with ignition and goes off after 5 seconds. That's now not there, so for instance if you took the bulb out they might not notice that it doesn't illuminate

this is the bit I read for pre 2000 vehicles

If the ABS has been intentionally rendered inoperative, the whole system must be removed. This doesn’t apply to sensor rings or other ABS components which are an integral part of another component, such as a brake disc or drive shaft.

A decent relationship with the tester always helps. I've used the same garage for tests for 20 years, my uncle who is a mechanic does all his tests through them as well, as does my dad and they know how we approach car ownership and maintenance. Tends to mean they are more likely to use common sense to apply the rules as they stand

I normally let my local know that my  car is on its last mot and that the bridge awaits ..... 

and they know the cars are kept safe , no buggering around with things that could cause big problems

and the odd window crack , wear or rust hole is advised or repaired when things are quieter ..

my car will be going in soon for its mot , on a Monday , they can fix it at there leisure over the week  , they have already been over it .I will just pass over the dosh .

I some times think all these rules are given to us because dome headed  fuckwit tries to bend the system and endanger people with some really dodgy goings on ..

ps

bastard car better pass ... just spent £4 on some Michelin wiper blades for it at Aldi

I reckon this thread needs a bit of context. Lancia Matt if I remember correctly is a mechanic. He's giving a bit of a cheat for older cars to pass emisions. He is definatly not advocating dodgy MOT passes leaving cars with dangerous defects on the road. There's 100% got to be a difference between old cars sneaking through unrealistic emissions targets and cars passing with structural, suspension and braking faults

Edit - that's how I read his first post. I'm not his best mate/brother or owt !

That's basically right, I test cars everyday, and the mot is basic requirements. I work at a main dealers so most cars are less than 8 years old. But we have a few high profile recalls out at min and once the recal is done we have to do a health check on the cars. Some are in a right state, then you see 3 baby seats in back. Some people just don't care what they drive,. I don't condone cheating tests, it was just a simple comment about making the emmisions test easier.