Ere Dave, I'm changing in my van at the end of the month, and they've offered me sod all trade in. Do you want it?

DaveDorson

So a quick prod around the arches and the creeping rust on the pillar hasn't made any holes.  So I did what any sensible person would do and hit it with the wire brush on a drill and painted it with Jenolite, same as Kev had done every year.

But then I remembered I've got half a tin of filler sitting on the shelf and some stone chip paint...

So, I set about filling the pitting and chucking some acid etch on, followed by some stone chip 

It looked shit, so I hit it with the red oxide after and some guide coat till the Paprika red arrives, when I'll properly block it down and hit it with the rattle cans.

IMG_20190527_155128243.jpg

IMG_20190527_155131376.jpg

IMG_20190527_182715406.jpg

IMG_20190527_182700982.jpg

On 4/25/2019 at 2:27 PM, wuvvum said:

I do like these, apart from that bastard sodding gear lever which puts my back out after about 10 minutes of driving.  Which engine is it?

Forgot to add, added the cranked gear extension and a number 2 pool ball gearknob.  That's made it a load nicer to drive.

5 minutes ago, Matty said:

Its the spit of the last one i had; colour, condition, everything. Dont mint it too much, theres plenty of shiny ones on alloys already! Top work ?

The aim is to stop the rot getting much worse but keep it honest.  I'll shoe polish the bumpers up a bit too as it's a cheap win.

I want to keep some of the character of the thing, make it 100% mechanically and use it before I sell it on.  

To be honest I've quite enjoyed plodding about in it while I do the work, but it was nice to swap it over again to the Mondeo and enjoy the leather seats and Aircon.

Right... So I've got these wheels right.  They're actually proper AAG wheels made for AMG, known as Aero Ones.  They're w@w r@r3 etc and have a value.   I reckon they'd also suit the van and I have them now. .

I'd need to drill them for m14 bolts.  Someone with a big old Merc needs to purchase these before I do something stupid 

IMG_20190520_173313444.jpg

58 minutes ago, shedenvy said:

How about some later caddy steels (poss banded) with all terrain tyres on?

vwt4-offroad-tyres-780x405.jpg

Stock wheels with off road tyres are probably how I'll go as I know they're properly load rated for a 1200kg load carrying van.  The Merc wheels are worth too many scene tokens to seriously consider use on the T4.

Calm down autoshite.  Although it's my van and I'm free to do what the shit I like to it, I won't be drilling out some expensive Merc alloys just to make my van appeal to surfers and lifestyle enthusiasts.

The van cost me next to piss all and those wheels are worth more as they are to the right buyer so common sense will prevail and the van will stay on steelies. 

?

58 minutes ago, Matty said:

Do people still go to the tip? Round here youd slow to a crawl and shove it out the back. Mind you this is east lancs to be fair

I'm an upstanding member of the local community me, besides I've just done a load in the garden so I can really smash it up and burn it like I'd have done previously. 

55 minutes ago, Matty said:

Oh, probs no chance of affording it but pm me first if you decide to move it on!

I think it's going to be with me for a while to be honest.  I quite like driving it.

Van got used and abused this weekend.

Saturday morning I went to the tip and got rid of the old sofa and some carpet.

Saturday evening we went to a show in Uppingham in the neighbouring county of Rutland to support some friends of ours, working front of house.  I got to dress up as a giant Rubik's cube and she got to wear full on 1980's neon.  No pics of that, sorry.

However unfortunately on Friday one of the chaps who helps the theatre group had a siezure, and he was the guy who moved the set backing.  Dave and his trusty T4 to the rescue.

Also did some squirting  of red onto the primer bits.

It's a definate 100 yards job but it's far better than it was and it stops the "filth" from being attracted quite as much to the patches.

IMG_20190602_140727428.jpg

IMG_20190602_131421735.jpg

IMG_20190602_131441127.jpg

• 1 month later...

Right... so Lucas Stop Leak works in steering racks.  I'll remember that one.  I think I'll need to replace the boots still but that's future Dave's problem.

I've been busy stripping out the rear of the van of late,  between working, being a husband, and all the other stuff.

I'm surprised it moved at all with the weight of the wood in the back.

48204701146_d5072f91d9.jpgIMG_20190630_114934054_HDR by davedorson, on Flickr

Considering that it had thick ply and carpet on top of that, and the side ply lining :D  It took two of us to manhandle the bottom structure and support beams out.