That moment of ignominy. The new Focus is now a goer!

billy_bunter

So I bought a new Focus, well new to me, its a 2005. Have been swopping parts around from the old blue estate. Rather than clean the new cars steering wheel.  A particularly bad example of the TADTS ford steering wheel.

I had a bright idea I'll swap the blue ones wheel onto the new car. Nice easy job me thinks. Save me at least 4 hours of the neighbors thinking I was 'amusing' myself endlessly in the steamed up car.

So - I removed the air bag and then undid the 24mm bolt holding the steering wheel to the column. Removed the wheel. There was a bang!

Here is the result

post-4189-0-43266500-1555788805_thumb.jpg

For the uninitiated the metal ring in the middle is the end of the steering column. It should be proud of the black plate by a fair bit. Why did that happen I thought, Ah! The ignition key was in the lock and it was in position 1. Should have been out and the steering lock engaged! NUMPTY

2 hours trying to get it back up (phnarr) to no avail.

How to fix it would be most welcome:-

Ideas, prior knowledge (Go on admit it you did it too), ridicule, postcards, it's fucked, what the bloke from the pub said, etc,etc

When you say bang do you mean a mechanical bang or an airbag/ pretensioner type bang? It’s too modern for me to know much but if its the former I would imagine there will be a knack, if the latter then it might need a replacement column? That’s based on zero experience of these though.......

Looks like there's some symbols that translate as RTFI.

(Read The Fucking Instructions).

In my angry defence/denial. Haynes dedicates at least 4 paragraphs to airbag dangers but 8 words to describe the lock the steering operation with no emphasis as to why. Still a numpty mistake mind.

What a world of pain for my brain.

I can swop the steering column from the blue car into the new silver car. It should be relatively easy. (famous last words)

What to do about keys and engine immobiliser. Bear with me as my addled brain tries to figure this out.

I then change the ignition barrel to the silver cars one as described in the Haynes. This will keep the silver cars keyset the same as Ford rolled it off the production line. 

Is this all I have to do? Seems to simple to me.

What a pain.

Can you not get a longer bolt to pull it up, then insert a screwdriver in the hole further down the column that lines up when the column is in the right place, as loserone says above?

EDIT: Will post a query on the Focus FB group.

Chap on the FB page posted this:

It’s possible to do but difficult.

I pushed it up as far as I could which got it fair enough up to get a bolt on it. I then put something to stop it dropping back down.

On the longer bolt I pulled it up more and then used a longer stopper.

Gradually adding more and more spacers to get it high enough to get the standard bolt back in.

Can also pull it up once the steering wheel is bolted at least to help move it quicker.

It’s a pain but doable.

Well its back up.(insert Finbar Comment here!).

Took the column assembly out of the car looked everywhere for a bolt hole, remains of plastic stopper, thingmyajig in a hole and finding no trace. Staring at pictures on fleabay to see if there was something missing. I decided to have a go at getting it back up. At my age this is some challenge!

So ignition key in position one, holding the column frame between me feet sit on the garden bench and pull on the bolt with a pair of molegrips. Expecting to rearrange my teeth when the tiny bit of fine threaded bolt engaged in the coarse threaded column gave up the fight.

A couple of goes a bit of jiggling to get the right spot and it came up far enough for me to remove the key and the steering lock now holds it. Sill got my teeth I thought. Will it stay there! Quick get it into the car!

15 minutes later. Well nearer 30.

Got it in the car and after a quick test drive I need to get the cowlings back on and get the wheel and clock spring in the correct position.

Air bag light is on as I did not put it back on so battery is disconnected and the wait begins.....Hopefully will have an unstreet ornament by this afternoon.