Buying a working, legal, partially presentable car for under a ton?

Demio

The less a car costs, the more impressive it is when it deals with what you throw at it. They tend to stick in the memory more, whatever the reasons! My favourite cars are probably ones that cost little but were better than I expected.

As an aside PC at the mo are running a “Bangernomics” bit in their sagas, almost my favourite bit!!!

Every paper, free ads and no doubt social media has these ‘best price paid for scrap cars’ type adverts. I think you’d be lucky to chance upon someone green enough to basically give it you tbh.

Can pretty much assure you 99% of people who say 'best price for scrap vehicles' actually offer anything like the 'best' price. They just hope by saying it they'll get to quote a shit price and the seller will accept it without seeing what others offer first.

In my experience, free cars don't stay free for long. That can be true of very cheap ones too. My £200 Mazda very soon became a £500 Mazda. My free Rover 800 currently only owes me £100, but it's MOT day tomorrow. I suspect this will be changing.

Also, I got given a pair of calipers for it and begged a day of ramp action at a garage, so it's hardly needed nothing.

Can pretty much assure you 99% of people who say 'best price for scrap vehicles' actually offer anything like the 'best' price. They just hope by saying it they'll get to quote a shit price and the seller will accept it without seeing what others offer first.

Or may offer nothing...politeness also goes a long way too - some people just want to not have their old banger and are not too bothered about a few quid - they just want it done as nicely as possible. 

I reckon you are in the right place here to turn up something useful. £100 is ambitious for anything with any length of ticket, £199 should be do able for something with a few months ticket.

Buying a shed for £100 with two weeks MOT that needs four new covers, pads n discs and a couple of CV Gaiters is not really the bargain it first seemed. It ticks your box, but for how long does your box stay ticked.

Has anyone mentioned Cannock to you yet?

Probably* maybe* get home under its own power. Should make good writing material though.

You beat me to it! My suggestion would be a local car auction. Stay away from the big chains.

Cannock has some terrible rammed, so it might yield something... but then again I’ve never seen a sub ton sale in my visits. Got close this time with the £120 (IIRC) Panda.

Who or what (aside from a town near Birmingham) is a Cannock!?

I reckon you are in the right place here to turn up something useful. £100 is ambitious for anything with any length of ticket, £199 should be do able for something with a few months ticket.

Buying a shed for £100 with two weeks MOT that needs four new covers, pads n discs and a couple of CV Gaiters is not really the bargain it first seemed. It ticks your box, but for how long does your box stay ticked.

Until he's written the article.

Then he scraps it for £150.

Hopefully not. Aside from anything else, I'm not just after one car - it's going to be a long-term feature series; aiming for multiple cars per article.

I don't mind cars needing a bit of work, because I've got enough kit and experience to do most small things. They'll still cost parts and time, yes. Bigger jobs are beyond me (and budget, yes), and some things will just end up with the car owing too much, like welding up cheesegrater sills and arches.

I want each car to move on to a new home when I'm done with it, and not end up as a cube. I haven't even sent one of my own four to the weighbridge yet, and its bodywork is now 40% rust bubbles...

Edit: Thank you for the Fiesta and earlier Rover links by the way. Rover seems to be out of MOT, but I'll bear it in mind; I don't have a Facebook, but my wife is enquiring about the Fiesta now.

Who or what (aside from a town near Birmingham) is a Cannock!?

Cannock in this context is a tat-car auction, held on a regular basis in or near the town of the same name.  Chaseracer will be able to help you better as I think he's been to every one the AS Midlands Massiv has attended.

Cannock in this context is a tat-car auction, held on a regular basis in or near the town of the same name.  Chaseracer will be able to help you better as I think he's been to every one the AS Midlands Massiv has attended.

Gooogle?

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/crime/2013/08/16/3000-court-bill-for-dodgy-cannock-motor-trader/

Get a life, there's reasons why you finding a vehicle for £100 is/are difficult and if you can't work them out for yourself them that is your problem. Try spending less time posting and dreaming online and more doing a day's work on a building site and get another £80 cash then try again, obviously the additional costs of insurance, collection, tax will stuff your £100 budget laaaaaaa laaaaaaaaa etc etc.............................Would some Mod shift this thread to it rightful palce?

Oh do fuck off - at least he isn’t expecting his scrapper to have full main dealer service history and a comprehensive 100,000 mile guarantee

I think this is only possible dependent on location tbh, but possible in the right market.

When i look at how much certain cars go for down south, it's painful. Very possible to get some surprisingly tidy things for 2-300 that would easily be 7-800 up here. By the time you've paid to get down there and get said car though you're not too far off having paid that for it anyway.

When i look at how much certain cars go for down south, it's painful. Very possible to get some surprisingly tidy things for 2-300 that would easily be 7-800 up here. By the time you've paid to get down there and get said car though you're not too far off having paid that for it anyway.

People say this. But then people down south also talk about going up north to get a good deal on a car. Half of my colleagues (in London) seem to regularly buy cars from Yorkshire on that basis.

Personally I don't think there's all that much truth in either generalisation. Although it may be true that certain cars are more sought after in some areas than others. Maybe it depends how far north you are?

Anyway, wherever you are, these days a tidy, fault free runner, with an MOT for under £100 is bloody hard to find, a gift really, and at the end of the day any car in that spec offered on here has probably already sold.

From my point of view, this idea doesn't ring true as a concept for a series of written features because scrap value is currently what it is. If the writing is going to have any kind of authenticity then the prices need to be realistic. £200ish is realistic - but still not easy! £100 is not.

Two-figure cars used to be my playground.  I lapped them up and took them all over the place.  But I haven't set foot in that playground for many years, I'm pretty sure it's been built on.  For some years now I've regarded £300 as a baseline, and had some success at that level.

Saying all that though, if I was a bit fitter (and my bank account was) I'd love to have a crack at this exercise just for the challenge.

The cheapest car I bought was a 2006 skoda fabia 1.4 elegance at £100. It had 6 weeks of MOT on it, but then needed £200 to MOT it. Sold it 6 months later for £300. Next cheapest was a xantia 1.9td for £250, again 6 weeks MOT. It took about £200 to MOT it, but then I did over 12000 miles on veggie. I still own it but its now fucked. Pity.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

People say this. But then people down south also talk about going up north to get a good deal on a car. Half of my colleagues (in London) seem to regularly buy cars from Yorkshire on that basis.

Personally I don't think there's all that much truth in either generalisation. Although it may be true that certain cars are more sought after in some areas than others. Maybe it depends how far north you are?

Reminds me of my time on FiatForum

"We're having a UK meet up North!"

"Up North" being well over 200 miles nearer London than the Scottish border and closer to France than Aberdeen.

It very much is a thing though, about 90% of the time, if i find a car costing say, £600 50 miles from me in Dundee, if i expand my search nationwide, can almost be certain i'll find the same car, or better (longer MOT, lower miles etc) for £350-400 somewhere like Bristol.

Likewise, if i see a car down south i like for £500 and look for one nearer me, i probably won't find it for under a grand. It's a blanket thing too, not just rare cars, even things like Astras, try and find a decentish one for under £600 here, then expand the search nationwide... you'll be spoilt for choice and likely end up with something better than anything up here and likely still have a wad of cash left over in your pocket.

Agree though even then, £100 is a stretch.

...id suggest facebook; scouring various groups; wanted/ marketplace or whatever.

My sister managed to score a 66k miles 2000 sad face fiesta for FREE, as a 'stop gap' car, through a 'friend of a friend' she'd never met; my sisters friend, and her friend had the same name (lets call them both 'Jane') - unkown to my sister jane was moving abroad to make a home with her new love, n had decided to liquidate everything over the space of 3 weeks; notice had been given on her flat; furniture sold off n the car needed a new home; with cars here anything over 15 years old being hard/impossible to insure - no one wanted it; even the scrap lads wanted €50 off her to pick it up...

The car 'Jane' owned was in Dublin; my sister lives in Clare n is a single mother, n hadn't the time etc to pick it up; Jane in Dublin wanted the car to go to a good home/be used, but her flight date was getting imminent...

...with sibling pressure applied, myself n my brother 'agreed to go up' the day before she was going to fly out of the country; a Sunday- I loaded up the discovery 1 Tdi n picked up the A frame enroute (had been lent out)...

...we locked the phone sat nav into black horse avenue n eventually found her flat; nice lady we gave her a box of chocolates ourselves to say 'thanks' - which was lucky; we had aimed for wine, but time was pressing/we couldn't find an off-licence enroute; tuned out she wasn't a drinker... 

...turned out the car had 12 months test; she had submitted it for restest 6 days previously n it passed; it also had about 6 months tax still on it; we gave it a razz up the road n as my bro has fully comp n it was taxed, he elected to dive it home... it had half a tank of juice in it n we set off for clare...

about 10pm that night we knocked up the sisters door; she took ages to answer, n somehow didn't expect to see her new free car outside; she thought we'd just trailer it down to Tipperary here...

...anyways it was a solid rust free sad face fiesta with leccy front windows n a sunroof; 1.3 - she got 8 months motoring out of it; my mam had it for awhile; n my sister had it again after her 14 Focus had some mystery ABS woes n a horn problem... it lasted another 2 years n licked the yearly test each time...

...the cert of destruction came in the post the other day in my mam's name; I had to scrap it as nobody wanted even for free again on FB n it was 'any eye sore' on my sisters avenue....

...on costs she reimbursed us a nimonal fee  for fuel n tolls; total; €70 which we eventually reluctantly accepted, so I spose it wasn't really a free car, but that's due to my sisters circumstances - if she hadnt the kids she could have got one of the private 'green buses' it would have been €20 one way to Dublin n there was juice aplenty in the tank...

Even with all the advice above, do bear in mind that most vendors will expect some mild haggling in order to secure a sale, and will factor that into their initial asking price - so don't be put off if a car seems a little outside your budget... A cheeky bid and you might just get lucky. After all, as the denizens of the Grumpy Thread will attest, there's nothing folk selling a secondhand car love* more than a constant stream of lowball text messages...

post-17915-0-05893300-1555547305_thumb.png

£100 2NITE M8

post-17915-0-83909700-1555547333_thumb.png

£100 2NITE M8

post-17915-0-57725800-1555547359_thumb.png

£100 2NITE M8

post-17915-0-53302100-1555547378_thumb.png

£100 2NITE M8

post-17915-0-78684400-1555547408_thumb.png

WUD OFFER £100 2NITE M8 BUT IVE 2 COME DOWN FROM THE NORTH EAST SO BEST I CAN DO IS £80

In all seriousness though... I've bought and run quite a few cars for £300, sometimes less. But all my sub-£100 cars have been end of lifers.

Having browsed various local small-ads with your specific noble quest in mind, it does appear that the absolute lowest limit in the classifieds bottoms out at about £200 for something running but without an MOT (though maybe some chance of achieving one, with a bit of work), stretching to £300 for something that's unloved and probably cosmetically challenged, but otherwise relatively sound and usable.

Anything I can see listed at below £200 is a non-runner for spares only, and unlikely to ever see the road again - which isn't what you're after.

Possibly your best bet is finding some sentimental old duffer outside the usual trade channels who'll let you have something for below scrap value, as I did last year when I passed on two ailing Lagunas for £100 each - a fair chunk less than CarTakeBack were offering - as I wanted to give them a chance of survival, however small.

post-17915-0-47510500-1555546075_thumb.jpg

The fact they were being advertised as breaking for spares only a few days later is probably indicative that I'm no businessman. However, proponents of the Greater Fool Theory would speculate that if I'm stupid enough to sell broken cars at below scrap value, eventually you'll encounter someone even stupider who'll sell you - or even give you - one that's not broken.

While it's true that what you're looking for is unlikely to appear for £100 - and stretching to a heady £300 would actually give you quite a range of scabacious old nails - I can appreciate that the main part of your challenge is in finding a not-utterly-fucked £100 car.

I guess if it were super-easy, then it wouldn't be worth writing about...

How about this...

'99 plate fester with ticket till November. Not Badermatic gears, must be a typo.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/840343553024910/

Billy bargain right there.

I think the Facebook Marketplace template thingy defaults to "automatic transmission" because Muhrican, and everyone knows Muhricans can't change gear themselves (apart from truckers, who seem to be able to go flawlessly up and down a 28-speed crash 'box without ever touching the clutch).

I think the Facebook Marketplace template thingy defaults to "automatic transmission" because Muhrican, and everyone knows Muhricans can't change gear themselves (apart from truckers, who seem to be able to go flawlessly up and down a 28-speed crash 'box without ever touching the clutch).

yeah it does. about 90% of the cars i see listed on there are listed as auto, which is odd when most of them have 3 pedals, a gearlever that moves side to side and up and down and some models were never even offered as an auto!

Even 10 years ago a £100 car wanted a fair bit of work.

I used to be Tontops on here after a list of shameful cars that were under £100.

The best source was from my friendly MOT tester.

Sometimes he would get a car in for test, fail it and the customer would leave the car to cover the test fee and walk away.

Some are utterly shagged (KAs usually) but some just need a little patch or a tyre.

People are strange.