Buying a working, legal, partially presentable car for under a ton?

Demio

The biggest issue for finding one under a ton today is that if you scrap a car, you'll likely get more than that.

I sent a 2006 Astra estate over the bridge yesterday and netted £150, no hassle or arguments, gone.

You can get steals, but I think you have to be known as a car person or be prepared to tuck someone up on a car, ie you KNOW it is worth more as scrap, but you just don't tell them.

We admitted to the Astra owner what we got for it scrap, in return we got to pick a few bits off of it before it went.

Even the 106 with a day's mot set us back £120

Best option I can give is join a load of the one make forums.

Never thought of that actually. That's a good shout - the same cars do tend to keep cropping up on searches (seriously to find these cars on ebay I have to put in a brand name plus "-breaking -spares -repair -finance -sold -braking -parts -week -deposit" to filter out all the crap), so it's definitely worth trying.

What's a turboquim?!

It's like a regular quim, but instead of having the swept volume of a normal quim it boosts on demand to appear like more quim.

I'd re-title the thread to set out you are actively seeking a car under £100. Someone may have something on here they want to clear out. When you sell at the end if you don't need the money back offering the sale price (if any) to charity may sweeten the initial deal.

The plan is to have further cars after the first one, so I'll need what I get back. I thought about the thread title as you suggest... maybe a Wanted tag?

Also - auctions?

http://autoshite.com/topic/32260-for-chod-ulster-super-special-interactive-auction-write-up-for-wed-20-march/?p=1611588

OK, so there's various buyer's premiums etc but at my local world o' shagged nails, the hammer falls on stuff like this at £70...

attachicon.gif20180912_192601.jpg

I'm totally down for that, but I'm not entirely familiar with the auction world at this end of the market. Are there big auction chains (like BCA, Manheim etc.) for cack?

The biggest issue for finding one under a ton today is that if you scrap a car, you'll likely get more than that.

I sent a 2006 Astra estate over the bridge yesterday and netted £150, no hassle or arguments, gone.

You can get steals, but I think you have to be known as a car person or be prepared to tuck someone up on a car, ie you KNOW it is worth more as scrap, but you just don't tell them.

We admitted to the Astra owner what we got for it scrap, in return we got to pick a few bits off of it before it went.

Even the 106 with a day's mot set us back £120

Yeah, I'm essentially trying to luck out on cars people are too attached to scrap it, or too uninformed to realise the value of as raw materials - and not because I want to profit off them, but because I want the car!

Hah, no. I saw his trials with the wrong-engined 323 on Twitter though. I've been thinking about this for about six months, off and on (I actually registered here in January, but had account problems). It's just the timing is right for now.

As others have said if you double your budget you'll have no problem finding something as scrap prices are higher than the price you are wanting to buy at. Years ago when people were having to pay to get rid of cars there was a bonanza of cheap stuff out there. I had,

Peugeot 405 NAD £30

Peugeot 405 NAD £70

Audi Coupe 1.8     £20

Audi Coupe 2.1     £70

Peugeot 306 Turbo diesel £100

All had MOT. Times have changed however.

All those requirements and under a hundred quid is a proper moon in a stick job.

Yeah, you might strike lucky one day if your m8's mum's cat's first owner's cousin-in-law is giving away an 11,000 Clio MK1 but let's be honest, it's not really going to happen.

The chances of buying something that meets your criteria are highly unlikely. However you may get lucky, this fine vehicle was advertised on here last year for £100.

post-17297-0-16321600-1555507450_thumb.jpg

post-17297-0-99077800-1555507495_thumb.jpg

About four months mot, in running order and the owner delivered it to me, a distance of about ten miles.

I did give him a lift back home, so there is the cost of my fuel to add to the to total.

I have to say it is without doubt one of the best bargain buys I have ever owned.

All those requirements and under a hundred quid is a proper moon in a stick job.

Yeah, you might strike lucky one day if your m8's mum's cat's first owner's cousin-in-law is giving away an 11,000 Clio MK1 but let's be honest, it's not really going to happen.

sad.gif

To be fair there's only really three requirements after the price, and they're really two - that I can drive it away legally without having to cross my gonads it will get home. Everything else is a "it'd be nice if".

As for mates, pfft. Like I've got any of those.

The chances of buying something that meets your criteria are highly unlikely. However you may get lucky, this fine vehicle was advertised on here last year for £100.

attachicon.gifpost-21523-0-10058800-1525880400.jpg

attachicon.gifBravo 1.jpg

About four months mot, in running order and the owner delivered it to me, a distance of about ten miles.

I did give him a lift back home, so there is the cost of my fuel to add to the to total.

I have to say it is without doubt one of the best bargain buys I have ever owned.

Yeah, that's absolutely bang on! I have been looking for Bravos - they don't tend to run up big figures.

And I concur - it's absolutely a challenge. But as John F. Kennedy once said, "We choose to buy functioning, road-legal £100 cars and do the other things, not because they are easy but because they are hard.".

The plan is to have further cars after the first one, so I'll need what I get back. 

Yeah, I'm essentially trying to luck out on cars people are too attached to scrap it, or too uninformed to realise the value of as raw materials - and not because I want to profit off them, but because I want the car!

You want to take a car from someone so you can write about it, then sell it on, and do the same thing again.

There's a man with many names who does it all the time on here.

You want to take a car from someone so you can write about it, then sell it on, and do the same thing again.

There's a man with many names who does it all the time on here.

Yeah, there's more than a few of us on here who earn a 'living' by pressing keys on the topic of cars. I recognised three names right away (although I know them by others!), and there's certainly a nice Venn overlap between their areas of expertise and what I'm aiming to do here. In fact one of them pointed me here in the first place...

You need to be doing the whole “ohh scraps real low at the moment, I’ll give you £30 and take it off your hands cause I’m a good guy” thing to stand a chance.

Again, I'm not Brewer. A quim I may be (and almost certainly am), but I'm not that kind of quim.

OK then you are Bridget Jones AICMFP

Well, neither of us have ever had a facelift... honest.

47544571221_19c14a1524_k.jpgRJC_7915 by srblythe, on Flickr

47544569731_1bfee719c4_k.jpgRJC_7917 by srblythe, on Flickr

I bought this Mk4 Golf for £150, it was the cheapest car I could find and buy after a good few weeks of searching. Other cheap cars did appear for less than £150 but they sold pretty quickly. I think Facebook marketplace is a decent source of cheap shit if you search regularly.

The Golf drove fine and had a good chunk of mot left, there were a couple of warning lights on the dash but I reckon it could have been a contender for tarting up and selling on at a profit.

The reason I bought it was to use on a way trip fucking miles away to the north west of Scotland to collect another car then I was going to dispose of the Golf when I got there, I figured it would be more fun than public transport.

I did offer the Golf up for £100 to anybody who wanted to collect it and there were a few interested parties willing to travel for it for some bizarre reason.

Luckily the owner of the car I was buying offered to PX the Golf for his Chevette so it saved a lot of fucking about and I ended up paying £900 instead of £1k

33667535788_d279b7256a_k.jpgRJC_8006 by srblythe, on Flickr

There are cheap cars out there but you've got to be quick, there are plenty of other people buying cars for scrap or trying to make money on them. I think you'll struggle to find anything to fit the criteria for under £100.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?!

If it is the same quim from my school days then I would say it certainly is not good in the sense it is being used. Quim being a noun for a certain part of a lady's anatomy - or at least at my south London comp it was!

Update: Google has comfirmed that it was not just my school.

Also - auctions?

I'm totally down for that, but I'm not entirely familiar with the auction world at this end of the market. Are there big auction chains (like BCA, Manheim etc.) for cack?

Heh, sadly not - disposing of dire, filler-laden old heaps through the traditional banger auction has become a bit of a dying trade these days.

post-17915-0-68899500-1555514204_thumb.jpg

Seems that only a few independent operators still cling on with a tin shed filled weekly with unwanted trade-ins and other cars that, for one reason or another, the seller would rather punt through the ring with SOLD AS SEEN NO COMEBACKS NA NA NA CAN'T HEAR YOU on the windscreen. Luckily, there's still one near me. Sub-£100 are uncommon, but do happen. I saw an epically fucked (but still moving under its own power) Rover 2000 P6 sell for £50 a few years back. Tax and MOT exempt, now!

post-17915-0-56507600-1555511728_thumb.jpg

I tend to view it all as a spectator sport, as it does offer excellent entertainment value; especially those which grenade in the ring or whenever the lucky* new owner attempts to move it out of the yard. Mebbe one day I'll pluck up the courage to raise my hand...

(You can read about these seedy expeditions here, if you're so inclined: 

http://autoshite.com/topic/32260-for-chod-ulster-super-special-interactive-auction-write-up-for-wed-20-march)

If no such place exists near you, then I'd second the single-marque owners club route - I know when I was a member of the Viva OC there were often 'too good to scrap' cars being offered out for free, or at a nominal sum.

Otherwise, a series of cunning search alerts set up on the Gumtree app, plus the ability to leap into action at a moment's notice with a fistful of tenners, may be the key to success here. When a sub-scrap value car appears, proximity and timing are vital - the first one to beat a path to the vendor's door with cash in hand will win (I once ended up in a bit of a ding-dong over a £120 Fiesta Ghia - where even though the deal had already been done, the fella who showed up after me wouldn't accept that...)

Finally, have a go at making friends with people driving old or odd cars, and even knock doors if you have a feeling something might be surplus. You may have read about R9UKE's recent score of a freebie one-owner Volvo snatched from the very jaws of the scrapman?

http://autoshite.com/topic/34546-nu-shite-a-gift-from-a-neighbour-swedish-content/

Obviously, some of the above examples are rare, one-off occurrences... BUT they do occur. Sometimes. Rarely. But they do.

post-17915-0-19710700-1555512930_thumb.jpg

Best of luck, dude! Look forward to reading about how this progresses.

Scrap price on a car in Sheffield at the moment is about £120-150. Expecting something for sub hundred quid isn’t likely. Expecting in on your doorstep with no problems is very unlikely. Also expecting something even vaguely interesting is pie in the sky.

I’d be asking myself the question why would someone sell me a car at less than the going rate for a hassle free sale to the breaker?

Scrap price on a car in Sheffield at the moment is about £120-150. Expecting something for sub hundred quid isn’t likely. Expecting in on your doorstep with no problems is very unlikely.

It's about £140 up near me at everyone's favourite random 'farm' with a single-car transporter and dags on strings. But I expect nothing - it's all planets-aligning shit.

Seems that only a few independent operators still cling on with a tin shed filled weekly with unwanted trade-ins and other cars that, for one reason or another, the seller would rather punt through the ring with SOLD AS SEEN NO COMEBACKS NA NA NA CAN'T HEAR YOU on the windscreen.

Yeah, and they're not the kind of places who do much internet advertising! Still, I've found a few options, cheers!

Finally, have a go at making friends with people driving old or odd cars, and even knock doors if you have a feeling something might be surplus.

Hmm, there are a lot of very old people in my area - Wayne Rooney would have a ball - and a lot of cars that don't move much. Although admittedly two of those are mine...

Scrap price on a car in Sheffield at the moment is about £120-150. Expecting something for sub hundred quid isn’t likely. Expecting in on your doorstep with no problems is very unlikely. Also expecting something even vaguely interesting is pie in the sky.

I’d be asking myself the question why would someone sell me a car at less than the going rate for a hassle free sale to the breaker?

Because not everyone follows scrap prices like they’re stocks in a FTSE 100 company, and some people think you actually still need to pay to have a scrap car removed.

Every paper, free ads and no doubt social media has these ‘best price paid for scrap cars’ type adverts. I think you’d be lucky to chance upon someone green enough to basically give it you tbh.

There’s at least two members of this very forum who are utterly prolific at buying cars for below scrap value and either just scrapping them straight off or tarting them up...

Also buying a car with a missing V5 is a route. Difficult to scrap a car without the V5 and anyway a car without the V5 is worth less. I have bought a few that way...£25 to get the V5. 

Also try your local house clearance people - they may have some leads. They usually want to get stuff moved on and may help you if you can act fast.

Get a life, there's reasons why you finding a vehicle for £100 is/are difficult and if you can't work them out for yourself them that is your problem. Try spending less time posting and dreaming online and more doing a day's work on a building site and get another £80 cash then try again, obviously the additional costs of insurance, collection, tax will stuff your £100 budget laaaaaaa laaaaaaaaa etc etc.............................Would some Mod shift this thread to it rightful palce?

Get a life, there's reasons why you finding a vehicle for £100 is/are difficult and if you can't work them out for yourself them that is your problem. Try spending less time posting and dreaming online and more doing a day's work on a building site and get another £80 cash then try again, obviously the additional costs of insurance, collection, tax will stuff your £100 budget laaaaaaa laaaaaaaaa etc etc.............................Would some Mod shift this thread to it rightful palce?

Well, I guess we found him. I did wonder if there'd be one, and sure enough.

Have another crack at reading the first post, there's a love.

I think this post is what this site is about?

Crazy car capers. I bought a £50.00 Citroen off Ebay a couple of years ago and drove from the hills of S. Wales to S. London down the M4. That was after I had pressure washed a few years of dirt off it. It had a very short MoT but...no back seat it was used for hay and wood carting. I still have it. Took about a week to get all the muck out of the interior and another week to sort it out.  Not much in it for the scrap man - and the owner was chuffed an enthusiastic person bought it.

Was a fun trip. £100 car is achievable and will make a good story is you are writing it up. There is so much fun to be had with old cars...