£350 Bini Project - spannering done

Tartan58

So when I posted in Vince70's thread that I was on the lookout for an R50 Bini project for under a grand, I was given the following sage advice from New POD:

buy the best you can afford

So in true Autoshite fashion last night I went and bought the cheapest I could find!

No collection thread as it all happened so fast, saw the ad on facebook and hot footed over there, made the guy an offer and convoyed home with him before giving him a lift back - if only every purchase/sale was so easy!

Was pissing rain last night so haven't had a chance to have a proper look over it but what I know so far is:

Jobs:

Drivers side mirror held together with electrical tape,

Drivers window not working

One sidelight out

High level brakelight not working (new one included in sale)

Nearside headlight aims too high (benefit of driving home in convoy or I might not have spotted it)

Discs and Pads needed

CV dust covers needed

4 tyres needed

Good points:

Chilli pack (leather, chrome etc)

17in alloys (I like them) and sport+ suspension fitted from new

Reconditioned gearbox fitted 40k ago

New Power steering pump fitted 30k ago

Documented service history up to 20k ago

Bodywork and paint looks excellent (needs a wash though so we will see what that uncovers!)

I'm really quite amazed by the amount of history that came with the car given that it has had 7 owners, they clearly all cared enough to keep it, add to it and pass it on which can only be a good thing. Looks like it's wanted for nothing for most of it's life but been a bit neglected the last 2 or 3 years.

So here she is:

20190416_192417.thumb.jpg.392477870f2316b420329636a2b2e8f6.jpg

and the price...£350 - I reckon that's a bit of a bargain, could probably sell the wheels, leather and a few other bits then weigh it in and double my money no bother...but I won't be doing that.

It's a Cooper (only non factory mod is at some point someone's stuck an 'S' badge on the boot which isn't fooling anyone, will need to get shot of that - although I do have a scheme in mind of fitting an S bonnet, bumpers and zorst one day, priority is getting it mechanically and electrically sorted first before worrying about cosmetics.

Have had the hots for an R50 of these for a while but took me some time to take the plunge - I'm a 'real' Mini man at heart but these days my wallet doesn't agree!

I was a bit stunned by the price too having struggled to find much decent for under a grand, he was asking £400 and even then he'd been messed about by the usual idiots so when I turned up cash in hand he was happy to let it go. MOT is up next week and he doesn't have off street parking so was keen to get shot of it!

Gearbox

we got "our" 2001 BINI in 2013, with 63K. It's now done 100K and has passed from my wife's to my daughter's hands. 

So far?

I find the Oil Filter HARD to replace. £

The wrong (too short) battery was fitted to it when we got it.  The leads would vibrate off. Solved by 3 sheets of perspex under it to lift it. £

The rear, bushes on the Front Wishbone failed ££££

The rear exhaust box mounts failed x 3 times ££

The Front suspension top mounts failed ££££

The brake light diode (somewhere under the carpet) failed - brake light permanently on. ££££

The air bag light stayed on - diagnosed to shite connectors under the seat for the passenger seat belt pre-tensioner. (It's done it 4 times) ££

The rear exhaust box failed £££

The headlining sags £

The Aerial, sender unit failed (actually the aerial snapped off in it) £

The Runflats kept throwing up  pressure warnings due to leakage. (New Not Run flats solved that) £££

Someone damaged the bonnet. £££ 

The Clutch went ££££££

and 6 weeks later : The gearbox went (Midlands Box - changing oil at 75K wasn't soon enough, and there was a lot of debris) ££££££££

Bits of trim fall off occasionally. £

The air-con doesn't. £

The power steering has always made that characteristic whinge £

I rarely drive it, but it's definately quicker to 70 Mph than the Omega and MX5 we own. 

When my daughter has finished with it, I'm planning on taking it back - I think it would be a good classic instead of the MX5 

what are the look for probs with these???

The occupant of the drivers seat (present company excepted).

Watching girls in their bini's pulling out in front of you whilst using their mobile blower

Happened to me yesterday, a mk1 bini came straight out of a junction, the driver had one hand on the wheel, the other on the phone. And the driver? a mid 20's girlie girl with a strange spray tan complexion, she had no idea what she had just done. Fortunately this happened on a dual carriageway and I was on my motorbike which allowed me to rapidly switch lanes and slot into the traffic in the outer lane otherwise things may have been different...

When riding a bike there are certain combinations of vehicles to look out for and a youth in an older bini is a particular warning sign. Particularly if Powered by Fairy Dust which I'm glad to see is not the case in Tartans bini - please keep it this way.

Wow, I thought you were all such a nice bunch of people too!! - not that I'm disagreeing with the perception of these. I used to have an MX5 so I'm used to it!

I reckon that the R50s will be out of common circulation soon enough once the stereotypical drivers all move onto new ones on PCP, values are pretty much at the stage where they're not worth repairing for most people (mine being a case in point), I am firmly of the conviction that these early ones will be as sought after as early 60s Mini's eventually* (of course I'll give up and sell mine just before this happens as I did with my '62 Mini 17 years ago.)

New POD's list makes for sobering reading but there's nothing on there that I didn't know before I got myself into this so I can only blame myself (and I was warned). My biggest fear was the Midlands gearbox's tendency to self destruct so I'm hoping that the new (reconditioned) box mine had fitted 40k ago (with £800 invoice!) will set my mind at rest. I will get the oil changed asap and see how things go - word on the forums is max 50k between oil changes.

My main worry at the moment is the non functioning wipers as it sounds like a right pain in the ass to change the motor - hopefully it's just an earthing issue as this seems a fairly common diagnosis.

My first attempted fix last night was to the drivers window, the forums suggested that a good whack to the door card just above the speaker often does the trick - no dice - will need to get the door card opened up for a proper look when I've more than 5mins to spare. Can hear the motor/relay clicking in the door when the switch is pressed so it's getting power which at least gives me somewhere to start from.

Wow, I thought you were all such a nice bunch of people too!! - not that I'm disagreeing with the perception of these. I used to have an MX5 so I'm used to it!

I (we) are nice people and I didn't mean to cause offence but yesterdays incident spooked me and I need to vent my spleen.

All road users need to wary of each other, but motorcyclists need to be more wary than most. Back in the 80's when I first set out on two wheels I was particularly wary of - any Volvo, repmobiles (mainly Sierras and Cavaliers), any van, pub landlord saloons, any car with a GTi/SRi badge and/or air-dam/spoiler whether fitted by the factory or Halfords, 'Oakley Thermonuclear Protection', 'My other car is a Porsche' and 'My other car is also a Porsche'.

Over time the list changes - the Volvo menace no longer exists and neither do pub landlord saloons. Nowadays I look out for any German car, any van or pick-up, slightly tatty 4x4's or people carriers driven by an harassed parent, 'Baby on Board', 'Powered by Fairydust' and here's the crunch (literally) any 'trendy' previous generation car now affordable to the youths - these include FIAT 500's, Beetles, Polos, Ibizas, Swifts and sorry to say Bini's.

Unfortunately some of the vehicles I'm wary of spill over into the shite/futureshite category.

One piece of road safety advice I was given years ago was 'look out for any driver that wears a hat', I also learnt to avoid drivers with 'big hair'. This is just as applicable today but we can also add 'any driver who's skin colour is not natural' and 'any driver who's hair contains more grease than their engine'.

To conclude - sorry.

Run flats ruin the ride which will be brutal anyway with 17’s.

Power steering pumps fail but most should have failed by now and been replaced with something heavier duty.

Gearboxes. Oft mentioned but in every post about R50’s I constantly mention changing the gearbox oil. The Mini2 Forum is pretty good and there is lots on there about failed boxes and how changing the oil is easy and provides a little peace of mind. I did mine with 54000 on the clock and the drain plug looked like a metallic hedgehog.

Steering column bearings. Spray grease shuts them up for a few weeks at a time if yours are noisy.

Pulling to the left seems to be a thing with some of them, mine did it under hard braking but not otherwise.

They aren’t going to get a lot cheaper though and I fancy another one. Yours on 15 inch teledial style wheels would be pretty much on point for me!

I'm a biker AND own a Bini - I'm a big fan of them now and this is my second.  They're cheap to buy, cheap parts, they don't rot and are good fun to chuck around.  I've done brakes, exhaust mountings, CV gaiters, etc, it's all easy stuff - only tricky bit is anything in the tightly packed engine bay.  Mine has the same wheels as yours and is the worst riding car I've ever been in - finally beating the previous long-term record holder, the XR4i.  Fast around corners though.

When I'm on the bike my top 4 wanker list is:

• Fiat 500
  • Any variant of Range Rover, but Evoque and Sport especially
  • Bini
  • Corsa

I do like these, they’re not a bad steer.

There are issues, but what car doesn’t have its foibles these days. I now have a July 2001 Y registered car that awaits attention but previously had a 2003 car that was delightful. I think, by then, most major concerns were sorted.

I am looking forward to having mine up and running though, I do enjoy these. Good luck with yours.

I (we) are nice people and I didn't mean to cause offence but yesterdays incident spooked me and I need to vent my spleen.

Absolutely no offence taken, my response was equally tongue in cheek and I've been on here long enough not to take what anyone says too seriously - unless it's honest practical advice of course! Interestingly my dad always used to say to look out for drivers in a hat so it must be true!

Parky, good to know about the greasing the steering column bearings mine is a little whiny at the moment, it has had a new pump within the last 30k so fingers crossed it will last.

It's not going to be a daily driver by any means as we have 2 boring moderns so the ride doesn't bother me too much, I've used classic Mini's as daily's in the past so I reckon I can deal with it! Currently has (bald) run flats on it so they will be getting replaced anyway. Might end up going for a set of 15s in the short term anyway as seem to be able to pick up a set with legal tyres for under a ton whereas a set of new tyres for the 17s would set me back more than the car cost!

Question on insurance for these, will anywhere class these as a classic yet? Best I can get so far is around £230 a year with Aviva (by adding to our current multicar policy). Tax is a bit of a pain in the ass too being £195, not too bad paid monthly I guess but I am used to paying £30 a year on each for the two moderns - I'll just need to suck it up. On SORN for the foreseeable anyway until I get the various bits and bobs sorted.

Absolutely no offence taken, my response was equally tongue in cheek and I've been on here long enough not to take what anyone says too seriously - unless it's honest practical advice of course! Interestingly my dad always used to say to look out for drivers in a hat so it must be true!

Parky, good to know about the greasing the steering column bearings mine is a little whiny at the moment, it has had a new pump within the last 30k so fingers crossed it will last.

It's not going to be a daily driver by any means as we have 2 boring moderns so the ride doesn't bother me too much, I've used classic Mini's as daily's in the past so I reckon I can deal with it! Currently has (bald) run flats on it so they will be getting replaced anyway. Might end up going for a set of 15s in the short term anyway as seem to be able to pick up a set with legal tyres for under a ton whereas a set of new tyres for the 17s would set me back more than the car cost!

Question on insurance for these, will anywhere class these as a classic yet? Best I can get so far is around £230 a year with Aviva (by adding to our current multicar policy). Tax is a bit of a pain in the ass too being £195, not too bad paid monthly I guess but I am used to paying £30 a year on each for the two moderns - I'll just need to suck it up. On SORN for the foreseeable anyway until I get the various bits and bobs sorted.

The whiny sound will be the pump. TADTS. The column bearings are usually a plasticy creaking sound when turning. I found in hot weather it sounded awful as the heat dried out whatever plastic bearing material was used. The steering seemed to stiffen as well. A good blast of spray grease or even WD40 sorted it for a while but if yours isn’t making creaky sounds, yours will be ok.

A replacement pump being fitted is a good sign, the replacements were a bit more durable. Mine had receipts for a replacement BCU when very young and Vince70 had similar issues with his which is another potential weak spot

And the headlight aim! Mine ALWAYS drifted off. The adjustment mech for the lights used to seize up. Way to check is to park opposite a wall at night and fiddle with the headlamp aim control to see if both beams move. Maybe one of yours is sticking? I found a good dose of WD followed by slamming the bonnet usually worked!

£350? Wowsers, I had no idea these had dropped that much in price. I have an all-time new lack of respect for Bini Mini drivers (including you).

Mk1's are great to drive, even when a bit knackered.

I once had a moon miles one that was shagged, head gasket and cooling issues all through two miserable months... It handled great, though.

<p>

I'm a biker AND own a Bini - I'm a big fan of them now and this is my second. They're cheap to buy, cheap parts, they don't rot and are good fun to chuck around. I've done brakes, exhaust mountings, CV gaiters, etc, it's all easy stuff - only tricky bit is anything in the tightly packed engine bay. Mine has the same wheels as yours and is the worst riding car I've ever been in - finally beating the previous long-term record holder, the XR4i. Fast around corners though.

When I'm on the bike my top 4 wanker list is:

• Fiat 500
  • Any variant of Range Rover, but Evoque and Sport especially
  • Bini
  • Corsa

I used to be a biker once.

Anyone in a hat. Trilby or baseball

I think these days you have to assume everyone is going to try to kill you.

I used to be a biker once.

Anyone in a hat. Trilby or baseball

I think these days you have to assume everyone is going to try to kill you.

Or a peaked hat of the ''ello 'ello' variety....

I'm a bit more generous - I don't think anyone is out to kill me, but the buggers are easily distracted by 'infotainment' and important messages about what they would like for tea tonight.

...anyway enough about the effect of headgear on the competency of the average motorist, back to the Bini...

Not a huge amount to report, to be honest I'd not be offended if nobody reads this thread, after all it isn't really true Autoshite. However it is a good way to log progress for my personal gratification or depression, time will tell which!

The long weekend saw me giving it a thorough clean inside and out (pointless maybe given it'll not be going anywhere for a while but it's always a good way to get to know a car I reckon.)

Verdict; paint good, body straight, interior good - a few loose bits of trim here and there but no biggy, on the whole I'm a happy boy. Plus it is now nice any shiny and the black bits are black again rather than grey so I can enjoy looking at it! Garage is also cleared out and car moved into it's new home.

Seller advised me it had a slow puncture on the nearside front which proved to be true so first job was to swap the two front wheels over (the reason being that once in the garage I'll not get easy access to the nearside to re inflate the tyre when I need to move the car.

The wheel nuts were obviously last tightened by Geoff Capes to the point where I had a real fear of snapping a bolt, however I got them off safely which gave me a chance for a closer inspection of the underside. Once again no major alarm bells and although the previous owner told me it would need new discs and pads for the MOT they look ok to me.

One problem identified was that the car sits too low to get my trolley jack underneath, solved by driving up onto a couple of bricks first but it's a bit of a pain so may need to invest in a low profile jack. Similar story with my ramps.

So the simplified plan from here is to fix the electrical issues (wipers, windows and lights), get a set of cheapo wheels with legal tyres then stick it in for a test at the local garage, the result of which I'm expecting will be a list of other jobs to do. There is a slim chance it might result in an MOT certificate, this would be annoying as then I might have to tax and insure it!

ex biker too.....SAT NAVS, ANYONE with one stuck to the screen is to be avoided at all costs..also any truck without a UK plate on it...stopping in lane 2 of the M6 to ask directions...stopping and reversing on islands as they missed their turn, and the always hilarious U turn on the M1 to get back to previous junction!!!!

Daughter informs me that hers in still loosing coolant.

I'm at a loss.

The water jackets at corners of the head are prone to nibbling away in to the edge of the headgasket on the early Binis. It could be a mild leak in to the combustion area but not showing up as a headgasket failure.

The water jackets at corners of the head are prone to nibbling away in to the edge of the headgasket on the early Binis. It could be a mild leak in to the combustion area but not showing up as a headgasket failure.

FFS is all I have .

Really??? FFS

MOT due in a couple of weeks.

Fingers crossed it looks a lovely motor and those wheels look fantastic.

My Yellow Peril is the 4th Mini I’ve now bought (the others for friends and family) with a Midland gearbox and fingers crossed none of them have had gearbox problems yet and apparently labouring the gearbox in 5th is supposed to cause the problems or so I hear.

I’ve just bought a complete lock set plus Transponders and keys plus two ECUs and another electrical box which does something or another for £80 off Facebook and although I’ve got most of the stuff working it’s bugging me not being able to use the heater or get in the boot also the computers have to come off a car with exactly the same spec so it was hard to find an early one with a chilli pack and sunroof but I’ve put some mileage on the car last month and it’s come up as good as new with a clean.

The best tyres I’ve found on a mini are non run flat Uniroyal rainsports as they really do make the car stick like Shite to a blanket but mines fitted with horrible newish run flats but I’m tight so want to get Some mileage out of them before putting some decent rubber on but I do hate the sports plus suspension on the thing and when I had the front suspension apart I should of bought some softer suspension.

What year is yours as I’m finding on my 2001 lots of items are slightly different to the later cars and harder to get hold of and even things like callipers and top mounts plus drop links etc aren’t the same.

As for insurance I’ve just renewed with admiral multi car and have got the Z3 plus an E36 cabriolet and the Cooper plus the house insurance all on the same policy and it came in at £345 and apparently that’s with windscreen and lock cover but the mini is the most expensive on the policy apparently but at that price I wasn’t complaining lol.

I know your pain when it comes to jacking up a mini and had to google to find out the best way to jack up on the sills and apparently a long piece of wood placed in line with the door mirror is the best place without causing damage.

post-9282-0-36892800-1556352635_thumb.jpeg

It’s easier working on them when it’s upside down lol.