Should I buy a Merc Sprinter? Campervan conversion.

LeeCooper

Hello, all.

I'm joining the trendy bandwagon of campervan converters and have been looking into which van to use.

The only thing that stopped me from getting a VW Crafter was the amount of people on this forum who said they were incredibly prone to rust.

I thought I'd throw it out there to the van experts and ask what the best choice for a conversion might be, all things considered. I just really want to avoid doing a conversion and then dealing with severe issues like rust.

I get the impression that modern vans can be a bit flimsy and prone to failure, but there are lots of contrasting opinions out there.

Thanks for your help. :)

Ive driven a few of the modern - 2010 n up Sprinter panel vans; hired a few, and on another occasion did a few deliveries n pick ups, with the chap that I used to hire them off; it'd coincide - the destination with some other shit I needed to pick up for myself... I nearly got caught out at junctions n roundabouts a few times...

...The brakes on the panel vans, are woefully shit; laden or unladen, they were piss poor at stopping; he was well aware of this, after I mentioned it n said a few of his previous fleet got stoved up the up front when on hire, n subsequently written  off.... he'd since got out of the van hire biz...

...they also seem a tad thirsty, from personal experience; tho these were all mega LWB ones...

I think there is some sort of brake upgrade you can do to them, but I cant remember the details...

..as mentioned above a fiat ducado / Iveco panel van would be a better basis for a conversion; they literally go on for years, n will go anywhere on a long trip...

I’ve got an 09 Ducato l3h2 and find it comfy for trips from Cornwall to wales on a regular basis .

The sevel vans are a good bit wider inside than a sprinter so you can have a bed across the back as long as you are less than 6 ft tall . Might help your build options

They seem to be the least rusty of all the modern ish stuff too . They do still rust but nothing like transits and sprinters.

I’d go with the 2.3 Ducato over the 2.2 in the boxer and relay . That transit motor is a bit wanky IMO . Has an appetite for injectors and pistons in 2.2 format .

The 2.3 also doesn’t have a DMF .

We had a 2010 Citroen Relay van and that didn't seem like it was going to rust,I think it had been looked after fairly well previously though.

Vans are designed with a relatively short service life in mind, even more so than cars, so rust protection and elimination of rust traps is not a priority.

As others have said French vans seem to hold up quite well. If you can buy something that's always been a camper, or at least privately owned then it will have a better chance of being looked after.

LDV Maxuseseses don't seem to rust much, which is odd given that they are made out of foil.

+1 for Maxus. I've just bought one partially converted, well mostly converted, but not the way I want it. No rust, surprisingly comfy (some sort of leather electric seats been installed)  and a decent drive. It had it's problems at first such as stupidly stiff clutch and a pig to start but these are really easy fixes. I also have a Shitroen Relay LWB hightop that I can't decide what to do with (sell or convert). I have had to use the sparkly stick all under the Shitroen, but in all honesty now prefer driving the Maxus