Scrapyard thread

bunglebus

All the Commers seem to be wearing the same paint job, and I can just about make out 'Allerdale District Council' on the side of the nearest - so it looks like a fleet disposal.

I suppose Commers were often sold to fleet operators on their low low price, so possibly they were just driven into the ground and scrapped once the rust took hold - though apparently stripped for spares beforehand, with the doors, lights, windscreens and even seats apparently removed.

4 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

All the Commers seem to be wearing the same paint job, and I can just about make out 'Allerdale District Council' on the side of the nearest - so it looks like a fleet disposal

The caption on the picture says the local council had just scrapped their Commer fleet. Guy is mostly a train spotter but has also taken some interesting car/industrial shots

Allerdale District Council had disposed of a small fleet of Commer vans sometime before I photographed this scrapyard adjacent to the railway at Workington on 14th October 1982

2 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Peugeot 404, stage left.

What's that chrome, right-of-centre next to the PC Cresta?  I thought it was a DS, but there seem to be wheel arches.

You could well be right. That's a very DS-looking rear bumper. Could the 'arch' be the back wheel? The rear wings come off easily enough.

11 hours ago, Amishtat said:

I can't remember what was opposite , but it was called Tyte's or Tate's. 

Its Tites , run by  Cyril Tites and his Son Geoff , Cyril died a few years back so its just Geoff and his kids now , its still going AFAIK .

I bought this from there 

dou1.jpg