Parts gathering. xantia gone.

garbaldy

Inlet Manifold back on and egr blank on with bolts rather than the Allen bolts.

20200412_155539.jpg

Engine removed from engine stand and hung from crane once more,  flywheel was different so now has van one complete with clutch and gearbox refitted to engine, now to attempt cleaning the box as it's also bloody manky.

20200412_163214.jpg

20200412_170450.jpg

I'm still waiting on the engine oil being delivered from that manol offer that was posted up here, was ment to arrive last Wednesday but still not here yet.

And now for a question does anyone know where the gearbox fill level is or even where you fill it.   And what oil does the box take ?

Looks like the driveshafts will have to be rebooted as are pretty perished and split so hopefully the new ones I have will fit if not I'll have to wait on the postie bringing me some. 

20200413_131304.jpg

More spares that I've held onto for longer than many sensible people would and im sure the oil filter is the same.

20200413_130726.jpg

In and ready for all the finishing touches.

20200413_135258.jpg

It was a doddle and popped straight in which was expected after the amount of stuff I've changed.

20200413_155057.jpg

Bottom rung the rad sits on was derusted and painted too before the rad was fitted.

20200413_163002.jpg

And with the exception of two pipes that it plumbed in and waiting coolant and oils.

20200413_170329.jpg

Have one coolant pipe to make fit up the back which is the heater matrix one but apart from that it's driveshafts and done.

27 minutes ago, DodgyBastard said:

How much for the exhaust anyway? I'd definitely take the rear and middle sections.

You can have it as i certainly won't be refitting an NA engine again.

Don't suppose you would have a spare alternator that would fit do you as this one has never charged since I bought the van.

So this is fully assembled now and water and oiled up so time to start the beast,  After fitting a new fuel filter I pumped  the primer and had fuel at filter housing bleed nipple then cracked of the return banjo on the distributer pump and pumped the primer till I had fuel seeping out,  After cracking all injectors loose and turning the engine over on the starter I had fuel seeping at all four, time for start and after some cranking she's alive so I let it warm up a bit then while running I cracked each injector one at a time and got the required engine miss from all so that's her bled up properly unfortunately she won't take throttle.

I went through the whole system and I've blew through fuel lines back to tank and this was the return banjo gummed to fuck with veg oil, why anyone sticks this shite in there tank I've no idea, the old xud started and ran no probs so that would suggest there's nothing wrong with the fuel delivery but a cleaned it all back anyway and the tank is pure dizzle anyway so im a bit stumped now.

20200413_153508.jpg

Any ideas anyone ?

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Is the fuel rack even moving? Given the ZOMGUMMEDUPWITHVEG scenario it seems feasible that the pump is also internally gummed and stuck at idle.

What's a fuel rack then ? 

I've had the engine up to full temp twice now and you could feel a bit of warmth in the pump so I was hoping it would clear anything that may be gummed up.

On the gearbox oil you just put the correct measured quantity in. If you fill to the filler plug it will throw it out the breather and the driveshafts with distribute it beautifully.

i think the Bosch/CAV type varies fuel delivery by changing the angle of the swash plate. What happens when you give it some throttle?

Read CFs thread and I'm not sure I fancy ripping the pump to bits, think i might just carry on working on the van hoping it will fix itself, in other words leave it til last.

Both the vans driveshafts are pretty well worn and the centre bearing is shot plus all four gators are split aswell as both steering rack gaitors,  in an ideal world someone more sensible than me would have done the rack ones while the engine was out but hey ho,  I can't find any either so I've ordered some of those shitty universal ones in the hope my luck changes,

The shafts from the berlingo looked the same so I tried one end in the box and they fitted and stuck the other end in the hub and they also fitted which was lucky, they are pretty close lengthwise so I stuck the one shaft in and appart from being thicker shafts they're a perfect fit, at least it saves me fitting gators and now I'm glad removed the engine complete with subframe.

I also now have two litres of gear oil for the box but I still can't find how to fill it or a level bung strange.

16 minutes ago, alf892 said:

On the gearbox oil you just put the correct measured quantity in. If you fill to the filler plug it will throw it out the breather and the driveshafts with distribute it beautifully.

i think the Bosch/CAV type varies fuel delivery by changing the angle of the swash plate. What happens when you give it some throttle?

Don't suppose you know where the fill plug is though.

If you have a look at the video I posted above I rev it up on it well sort of.

I really can't remember on the gearbox filler........last xud box I had dealings with was in a 305 van 30 years ago! The main thing was about just putting the measure amount in because I hadn't come across that before........and filled it up. Driver came back next day and it was dripping in oil!

Are you sure fuel lines are clear as that looks/sounds like lack of fuel.

I would go ripping a pump apart either.......far too many things to go ping

Soz about the tensioner bolt, veg oil and bodged RTV sealant sump gasket. The original sump was even worse, this was the OK but now knackered one off the DW8 engine and the sealant was all I could find quickly.

Is it idling ok now? It is a tuned pump and may need some adjustments to the fuelling. It was running fine when I was moving it about more often but I remember what a PITA it was to start and keep running when we were putting it on the trailer. Probably down to the years old veg...

The filler plug for the gearbox is the 22NM bolt here.

2011-09-01_155853_sss.jpg

It's r

1 minute ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Soz about the tensioner bolt, veg oil and bodged RTV sealant sump gasket. The original sump was even worse, this was the OK but now knackered one off the DW8 engine and the sealant was all I could find quickly.

Is it idling ok now? It is a tuned pump and may need some adjustments to the fuelling. It was running fine when I was moving it about more often but I remember what a PITA it was to start and keep running when we were putting it on the trailer. Probably down to the years old veg...

The filler plug for the gearbox is the 22NM bolt here.

2011-09-01_155853_sss.jpg

Not your fault though as the bolt is made of cheese and Probably been in and out loads of times anyway plus a right balache while in the vehicle as no room,   

I've ran 10s of thousand's of miles on free veg many years ago and collected many many ibcs worth and hate the stuff these days, it's just a right pain now and it's jelled really badly it's like chewing gum.

And here was me thinking that was mr citroen that had used that stuff haha, the sump didn't leak till I pressure washer the engine down so again not your fault.

Yes the veg is well jelled up and I've got straight diesel going through it's veins now and had the engine up to temp twice hoping it would clear,  I remeber it was a bit lazy when collected but it did rev up which it won't now, the engine does sound really sweet as per the above vid so im looking forward to getting it going properly that's for sure and I wasnt expecting a simple job from the start hence the long wait till I got started on the job, which to be honest hasn't helped with the veg jelling issue I guess.

I dont think this box has that plug as it's the vans original box I didn't use yours as the clutch is a pull and the van is a push clutch.

Anyhoo you gave me the engine so all it cost was fuel to collect so no need for apologies I'm still well chuffed with the way it's coming along and youl get to see it someday for a proper Thank you.

23 minutes ago, alf892 said:

I really can't remember on the gearbox filler........last xud box I had dealings with was in a 305 van 30 years ago! The main thing was about just putting the measure amount in because I hadn't come across that before........and filled it up. Driver came back next day and it was dripping in oil!

Are you sure fuel lines are clear as that looks/sounds like lack of fuel.

I would go ripping a pump apart either.......far too many things to go ping

Yes I first though fuel starvation but new filter pipes blew back and the fact the original engine ran okay makes you wonder,  I might try some cleaner through it as it will start and run up to temp just not keen to rev.