All about that BASE - Rover 820 END

dollywobbler

• 2 weeks later...

I got this back the other day, after £420 of MOT. That included the test, two CV joints (one knackered gaiter, both clicking), one balljoint (torn gaiter again) and a nice solid repair to the nearside rear sill end. 

It repaid me by doing stupid things with its wipers.

D5jeasJWwAYuipi.jpg

That's on intermittent setting. It gets the parking right, but doesn't bother with the wipe part. Was infuriating in very changeable rain conditions yesterday, especially as when you turn the wipers off, they bang to the bottom of the screen - the panel they park on is slightly damaged, so the driver's blade thunks into it rather than parking onto it. Lexus did this far better, by just making the windscreen finish further down rather than have this stupid panel. The wipers do occasionally just turn themselves off for extra LOLs. 

Currently in discussions about the future of this car, as I'm not spending another penny on it when I'm not going to get any return whatsoever. The club decided to give the car away after it's done a spell on the Classic Car Loan Scheme. I foolishly hadn't really realised that I'd be the one stumping up for repair work. The roof rot is still horrible as well, but at the moment, I'll be glad to just chalk this one up to experience and move on. Glad I ticked the 800 box, but maybe this wasn't the best way to do it. 

It does look bloody awesome though, and someone sent me this fantastic model!

D5lS6pcX4AI5o78.jpg

So, my mood is swinging a lot, and it manages to be crap and wonderful at the same time.

Glad the car has been saved, doesn't sound like that would have happened if you hadn't stepped in. Shame about the large injection of dollar, though. Think the roof rot needs to be someone elses problem....

But wow, it is a handsome machine.

4 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I got this back the other day, after £420 of MOT. That included the test, two CV joints (one knackered gaiter, both clicking), one balljoint (torn gaiter again) and a nice solid repair to the nearside rear sill end. 

It repaid me by doing stupid things with its wipers.

D5jeasJWwAYuipi.jpg

That's on intermittent setting. It gets the parking right, but doesn't bother with the wipe part. Was infuriating in very changeable rain conditions yesterday, especially as when you turn the wipers off, they bang to the bottom of the screen - the panel they park on is slightly damaged, so the driver's blade thunks into it rather than parking onto it. Lexus did this far better, by just making the windscreen finish further down rather than have this stupid panel. The wipers do occasionally just turn themselves off for extra LOLs. 

Currently in discussions about the future of this car, as I'm not spending another penny on it when I'm not going to get any return whatsoever. The club decided to give the car away after it's done a spell on the Classic Car Loan Scheme. I foolishly hadn't really realised that I'd be the one stumping up for repair work. The roof rot is still horrible as well, but at the moment, I'll be glad to just chalk this one up to experience and move on. Glad I ticked the 800 box, but maybe this wasn't the best way to do it. 

It does look bloody awesome though, and someone sent me this fantastic model!

D5lS6pcX4AI5o78.jpg

So, my mood is swinging a lot, and it manages to be crap and wonderful at the same time.

I've got a model like that one, but yours has a couple of signs on it. What does it say on them?

On 5/3/2019 at 3:31 PM, Lord Sterling said:

I've got a model like that one, but yours has a couple of signs on it. What does it say on them?

Kwik Fit Fleet Competition Winner 1989 - Track Test.

Just nabbed a new wiper blade from the Mazda and fitted it to the Rover. I turned the ignition on, turned the wipers on (so I could stop them further up the screen) and the rear wiper came on instead. The rear wiper is controlled by an entirely separate switch...

It was in reverse, so I guess it has auto-wipe. The front wipers didn't move at all.

41 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Kwik Fit Fleet Competition Winner 1989 - Track Test.

Just nabbed a new wiper blade from the Mazda and fitted it to the Rover. I turned the ignition on, turned the wipers on (so I could stop them further up the screen) and the rear wiper came on instead. The rear wiper is controlled by an entirely separate switch...

It was in reverse, so I guess it has auto-wipe. The front wipers didn't move at all.

When you stick the car in reverse with the front wipers on the rear wiper does work. So that bits working fine. Looks a lovely car with a great engine. Love the o series 

Yeah, looks like it's the front wiper module that's probably playing up. I could buy one on Ebay, but at the moment, I'm very reluctant to spend any more on this car until the future of it can be sorted out. It's turned into a right dose of stress I could really do without.

Regardless of spendage, cap doffed for stepping into the breach and saving the car. It's a proper looker and totally deserves to have a secure future. 

Good man. Maybe when you've started your travels, you'll be able to clear your head a bit. Seeing photos of Zelandeth's camper van has given us (currently) unrealistic ideas of renting the house out and buggering off to warmer climes in a liberty chariot for 12 months. 

It does sound crap that you've ended up spending a not inconsiderable amount of money on a car they'll then give to someone else! Can they not just give it to you if it's done its time on the loan fleet? At least then you could sell it on to hopefully break even and any profit goes to the club?

I dunno. Financial dealings with owners clubs rarely seem to end well. But hey, on the plus side it still looks bloody gorgeous.

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, mrbenn said:

Convertible not a bad shout. Give it a bit longer and it'll be well on the way, sadly.

How would one repair this? Replacement roof from a donor car?

Probably the most cost effective but it's a hell of a job, I wouldn't want to have to deal with it.

Seems like you've pulled the short straw on this one DW. Hope it doesn't leave you too out of pocket.

Is fitting a larger sunroof an option (the cut-out taking the rust away)?   Sunroof rust is the last straw for quite a few cars unless you have access to a wizard with sparky sticks.  I hope it doesn't kill this one.