All about that BASE - Rover 820 END

dollywobbler

does any of this actually affect MOT-ablity? also IIRC the car has a relatively fresh ticket on it, so I dont think its bridge time quite yet, at least get your MOTs worth out of it!

since Im not sure how the roof is counted when they test the structural integrity of cars come MOT time

obviously I know on monocoque designs the roof can play an important roll in giving the body shell strength

Sad times.  I wonder if a lot of these rot problems are caused by being in a garage unused, especially if it was able to get damp.  You can get the weirdest rust on cars kept in garages that aren't perfectly dry because the moisture condenses on the underside of panels and then can't escape.  Takes a *really* long time for it to happen, mind, so it could be a combination of factors at play.  There's no cost effective way of fixing that roof, it requires intervention from An Enthusiast.

I think some of the rot is within whatever cm of the upper seatbelt mounts. It really needs sorting. If anyone on here fancies it, I'm sure we can discuss terms. Usual story - it owes me £520 and if I can get any of that back, I'll be pleased. Especially if the car can be saved. I'd pretty much agreed with the club that the car is mine now. That was before discovering just how bad the rot is, but I had to know.

That roof looks pretty grim! Shame really as it looks a good motor apart from that. I suppose a short term fix is to fill it and ignore it but whoever owns it next will need to do something more permanent. 

That is a real shame, especially as you went to all the bother of getting it a fresh ticket.

Is it possible to perform a “sunroof delete” in the form of a sheet of steel, a tube of seam sealer and a million pop rivets? Or is the rot in the pillars to severe to bother.

The pictured rot is the top of the rear door opening...

It is a strange one. 800 values are firmly in the doldrums, yet the Rover has been doing better than pretty much anything I've ever owned in terms of views. Is it because I usually own stuff that's just too oddball or is Rover 800 love lurking beneath the surface of the modern classic scene?

Wow, that was quick! 

I suppose the roof panel is the same on the later ‘Mk2’ models, there must be some of them left in breakers yards, it’s a major job to transplant though. 

Still, even if used for parts, it’s a better end to just going straight to the fragger. 

The owner did originally offer it to the club, so I did likewise. Wasn't expecting it to get snapped up so quickly, but will frankly be glad to get this saga out or my hair. I just don't have headspace for another project. The Fox is languishing at the moment while I've been fretting about other things. Hopefully now I can focus a bit.

14 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Sad times.  I wonder if a lot of these rot problems are caused by being in a garage unused, especially if it was able to get damp.  You can get the weirdest rust on cars kept in garages that aren't perfectly dry because the moisture condenses on the underside of panels and then can't escape.  Takes a *really* long time for it to happen, mind, so it could be a combination of factors at play.  There's no cost effective way of fixing that roof, it requires intervention from An Enthusiast.

Opel Mantas were really good at hiding rust in the roof

If it had a sunroof then the car had extra strips of foam glued to the underside of the unpainted roof panel

This came into direct contact with the sunroof panel as it was opened,to stop it vibrating so any moisture would get soaked up straight away

By the time the rust has eaten through the roof enough to be seen,it will be bad enough to need the whole roof replacing

3 minutes ago, andy18s said:

Opel Mantas were really good at hiding rust in the roof

If it had a sunroof then the car had extra strips of foam glued to the underside of the unpainted roof panel

This came into direct contact with the sunroof panel as it was opened,to stop it vibrating so any moisture would get soaked up straight away

By the time the rust has eaten through the roof enough to be seen,it will be bad enough to need the whole roof replacing

Same with Citroen CXs with the factory sliding sunroof.  A few bubbles around the aperture hid extensive corrosion which demoralised owners who were already paddling in LHM most weekends.  

At least this Rover has got a year's ticket courtesy of DW and may go on to survive with its new owner.

10 hours ago, RayMK said:

Same with Citroen CXs with the factory sliding sunroof.  A few bubbles around the aperture hid extensive corrosion which demoralised owners who were already paddling in LHM most weekends.  

At least this Rover has got a year's ticket courtesy of DW and may go on to survive with its new owner.

My second cx’s sunroof was relatively* rust free, but drove me insane trying to keep it watertight. In comparison the current Mercedes’s roof is fully watertight and has no rust whatsoever.