All about that BASE - Rover 820 END

dollywobbler

Pedal is still shite though - we think because of tired flexis. The master cylinder seems to hold pressure, but the pedal still has a long travel on first application, but firms up if you're quick with a second push. It's certainly a lot better, as I actually got the ABS to kick on on dry tarmac, but it surely can't be right. So, new flexis to be ordered.

What state/colour is the fluid? I'd have a look at that before spending on hoses.

We replaced the fluid yesterday - we weren't going to leave the crap stuff in when we had to bleed calipers anyway. It was GROTTY.

Tyres aren't much better!

D3xw207X4AIeBez.jpg

I've established that no-one I trust locally has the right size in, but I'm driving up to Goole tomorrow. If anyone has any recommendations for decent tyre places between Wales and Goole, let me know.

If you need it, we've got about 50 new old stock Unipart full master cylinder kits (inc new pistons etc) at work for these. Sure we've got new hoses as well.

I shall drop you a message. Cheers.

Pedal is still shite though - we think because of tired flexis. The master cylinder seems to hold pressure, but the pedal still has a long travel on first application, but firms up if you're quick with a second push. It's certainly a lot better, as I actually got the ABS to kick on on dry tarmac, but it surely can't be right. So, new flexis to be ordered.

Because absolutely feck-all changed in any meaningful sense across the 800 range for 15 years, it'll be the same as on my 97. You can improve the bleeding experience by tilting the calipers. On the front pair, the bleed nipple isn't quite at the highest point, leading to a little pocket of air. So bleed with them swung up out of the way (with a clamp on the piston) and you'll massively improve the pedal feel.

Brilliant.

Cheap Chinese death rings acquired.

D3yZO6hXkAIIAu-.jpg

I say cheap, £98 the pair fitted. But, I'm hoping they're better than what came off. So far, ride improved, handling unaffected, perhaps a little too keen to lock up (or at least get the ABS working) on an emergency stop from 50mph. But at least that proves that the brakes do actually work, even with the crap pedal. They are Saferich tyres, which means safe and wealthy, so they must be excellent.

Thanks for the bleeding tip. What a stupid design.

I was thinking that Rover's idea of a base model was somewhat different to say, the working man's Ford - it has discs all round, sunroof, wood trim, central locking, ABS(?), electric front windows(?), seat lumbar adjustment, rear armrest, rear headrests...

That's a GLX, is that ;-)

The 820 is amazingly plush for a base model - Rover really knew how to do interiors in the 1990s.

Its contemporary The Volvo is upper mid-range (the 740 SE is above the GL but below the GLE), but apart from the four electric windows, electric sunroof and 'Trico Plush' seat fabric, it's little different interior-wise to the base model. It's pretty well screwed together, though, with nary a trim rattle or squeak after 29 years :)

Also, are you sure it even has ABS? My Mk1 SLi didn't and that was positively luxurious in comparison.

I ask because I remember fretting that someone had disabled my ABS light, possibly hiding a fault with the system.

Then someone asked if I'd actually checked if it was fitted...

Yes, because I managed to get it kicking in when I was testing it. It is an odd spec - base but with a rear spoiler and ABS...

Anyway, I'm now up in Vinland, having covered 760 miles since Sunday.

D34-ETPWsAE6Erm.jpg

Some findings. It goes well enough, but you do have to extend that throttle pedal and lot to get it to shift. The seat is rather too firm after that many miles, but overall, comfort is not bad. The new tyres have cured the wheel wobble at a Sat Nav 70, which is a massive relief. There are quite a few annoying trim rattles, including the seatbelt, just by my ear. The lack of stereo is frustrating. Second fill revealed 34mpg. I'll take that.

Tomorrow, I drive across to Cumbria. Another 130 miles. That'll take the total nearer 900 miles for the week. It hadn't covered that many miles in the previous four years!

Tigar tyres. A blast from the past.

A cortina we had in 1990 was shod with them. My dad bought a D plate granada ghia in 1992 the garage that sold him the car put them on.

Replaced with BF Saferich.

DW - when I wound the calipers back in on the Saab the other week I used a pair of needle nosed pliers as the cube thing I'd got from Halfrauds didn't fit the piston's notches. Need to push in as you turn and can make your hand a little hurty if it's not playing ball.

The cube things are as much use as tits on a bull.

888 miles since Sunday. Now in the Lake District. Amazing.

D391F7tXkAAokse.jpg

The seats are starting to feel a little too firm after that distance, a CV joint (or perhaps both) is getting noisy, as is the power-steering pump. The seatbelt rattle is threatening to drive me mad. It fair lopes along though, even if it's a bit big for tiny Lake District roads. 

888 miles since Sunday. Now in the Lake District. Amazing.

D391F7tXkAAokse.jpg

The seats are starting to feel a little too firm after that distance, a CV joint (or perhaps both) is getting noisy, as is the power-steering pump. The seatbelt rattle is threatening to drive me mad. It fair lopes along though, even if it's a bit big for tiny Lake District roads.

Ca r looks great. I hope you didn't enter that 'layby' at speed or you might have made your NSF Safe'n'Rich into an Unsafe'n'Risk

...only caught up with this thread again; that tyre size is what they fitted to base/1.4/1.6 Mk4 vw golf's ; ive two round the side of the house here but im in another country; they were 'good/new' tyres that I saved from scrap mk4's - haven't managed to rehome this orphan size on anything yet... still you've already bought new tyres so that's irrelevant ...

...more irrelevancy; I used to occasionally drive the my old man's 820e home; after dropping him at the golf club where after 'golfing'  hed sink a few on the 19th- the golf club had half arsed attempts at speedbumps that were maybe 8in width tho full length n very high; maybe 6inches; tarmac slugs across the avenue up to the glof club - I used to forget about the last few  of these with the entrance in sight n stab the right foot to power out of the club; the boot used unlatch n bounce up n down before latching itself again without any glass smashing...

Great seeing this out in the wild. Bringing back some nice memories for me. We had a silver 820e on an F plate in the mid 90's. Yours looks like the same spec, but without the decadent single point injection and 16v head. Ours was an auto, and the time it felt relatively quick and a cut above equivalent Ford and Vauxhall stuff. It made it into the 21st century (just) but eventually got too rusty, other than a head gasket (remember going to dad's mate's backstreet garage and seeing him lapping in the 16 valves) it was pretty reliable.

Make sure you correctly refer to it as a 'Fastback' (not hatchback) just as Dad did

Isn't there some 800 hoarder out there who has one of every trim/engine combo they made stashed away somewhere?

There was. I knew him, a very good friend of mine called Brad. However, as with life, other things got in the way. He sold up including parts and now dedicates his time 1 x Renault Vel Satis V6.