What the fox is this thing?

Matt

I'd love to see it saved, and would happily chip in, but think there needs to be a bit of realism at what would be involved - the issue of finding (no doubt needed) replacement batteries, issues about whether it could be road registered and the obviously needed fibreglass repairs etc. Unless someone wants it as a static piece?

I'd love to see it saved, and would happily chip in, but think there needs to be a bit of realism at what would be involved - the issue of finding (no doubt needed) replacement batteries, issues about whether it could be road registered and the obviously needed fibreglass repairs etc. Unless someone wants it as a static piece?

Ahh dont worry about that, have you even seen the invacar shenanigans that have gone on here?, bit of fibre glass patching will be nae bother  :mrgreen:

I've dropped the yard another email asking where they found it, what the plan is, given them some information from the article Lord Sterling found and said that I would really like to see it preserved.

I'm going to wait and see what they say. Sounds like there is some community interest so perhaps it could be partly commissioned via crowd funding a-la Dollywooblers 2CV year before last? Who knows, Nissan UK may even sponsor it considering their generous involvement when it was built.

The batteries are probably old tat anyway and more efficient ones could be sourced. I can't imagine they are anything custom in any case. Probably couldn't be road registered as it's a custom frame. The guy I bought my Robin from has a van, trailer, space and reguiled me with tails about fixing a Reliant that he rolled (he was also a Reliant dealer) so I'm guessing he has fiberglassing skills. I also live by the coast so I'm sure some boat builder / repairer could be brought on board to patch the bodywork up.

I'm almost certain that it would not have been road registered on FOX 1.

Most of the FOX X low numbers are owned by John Fox (or family) who is the VAG franchise owner in Nottingham.

Definitely saw FOX 7 or 8 on an R8 when they were new anyway.

I wonder how many they built, or is that one it?

The link LS posted on page 1 is literally the only thing I've seen about it and contains the only photo I've seen other than my own from today so I think it's very likely that this is the only one.

Yeah, the scrappies are likely already rubbing their hands together with glee if they've had an email with "needs preserving" in it. Deffo leverage the fact they're never going to get a phone call asking for spares, and hope that they're car people rather than money people.

That said, I'd be happy to chip in to a purchase if we could find a suitable custodian, and it doesn't need too much work. The fact it's got Nissan oily bits is good, as you'll be able to find spares. I doubt it could ever be made road legal though if it's the only example.

Edit: I woulder if Nissan would be interested in it to show off their forward-thinkingness? It would go well in a museum and they might even give it a makeover. 

I'm almost certain that it would not have been road registered on FOX 1.

Most of the FOX X low numbers are owned by John Fox (or family) who is the VAG franchise owner in Nottingham.

Definitely saw FOX 7 or 8 on an R8 when they were new anyway.

Not John Foxx the 80s pop star, who was in Ultravox before midge eurgh ?

Just got off the phone with Mike who owns the yard and he says it'll likely end up in a museum. They got it from an engineering firm not far away from their yard. It seems they've had it for many years and may have been the same company that built it back in the day. I've got a number and contact name for them and they'll be able to tell me more.

He's planning on contacting the likes of the British Motor Museum, Beaulieu and possibly the Lakeland Motor Museum to see if any of them would like to take it on.

Just got off the phone with Mike who owns the yard and he says it'll likely end up in a museum. They got it from an engineering firm not far away from their yard. It seems they've had it for many years and may have been the same company that built it back in the day. I've got a number and contact name for them and they'll be able to tell me more.

He's planning on contacting the likes of the British Motor Museum, Beaulieu and possibly the Lakeland Motor Museum to see if any of them would like to take it on.

I wonder why they’ve not done this before now?