30-odd years off road - Triumph Toledo, now in its new home

CotswoldsDave

• 2 weeks later...

The subframe remains half painted in red oxide. Just need to flip it over and do the rest. The Tacuma has taken my attention over the last few days.

Anyhoo, today saw me swapping useful bits of kit from one lock up to the other, namely grinders, electric file, detail sander,rust killer and the big Genny.

Started to take the paint and crud off the inner wing and top of the chassis rail. It's all looking rather solid so far. The front of the wing is holed in several places, nothing horrible though.

It's a start!!

I summoned the electric file and wielded it against the Rusty Subframe Nut (as it was the only thing I could use to grind it down). 20 minutes and 3 power file belts later....... it's sorted.

I drifted it out and now all that is officially holding the subframe in place is the 3 other bolts (all loosened off) and the copper brake lines to each front brake.  I'll tackle those on Sunday.

I can then take all the usable bits off and scrap the original subframe. I can then crack on with cleaning up and painting the chassis rails. 

Progress!

Not a huge amount done today but I spent a while blasting the remaining grungy bits in the engine bay with some Elbow Grease spray, just to get it all to the same level of cleanish. 

I scrubbed the areas around the 3 remaining subframe bolts so the socket has a better chance of gripping and secondly, I can see what I am doing a little easier. 

More rusty nuts, bolts and screws were added to the white vinegar jar to clean them up too. 

Whilst I figure out how to get the subframe out safely I decided to undo some more things. 

The brake pipe sadly snapped but it was also rusty as fuck and best replaced anyway. 

The subframe is really, really, really rusty.

The drivers side wheel arch is covered in surface rust, there is one small patch required, the rest is pinhole stuff.

It's actually pretty bloody good in there and once the subframe is out access will be superb. 

Am quite happy.

Ok, off to the lock up.

Plan: undo the steering knuckle, work out how to drop the subframe whilst still retaining a full set of limbs/fingers/flesh.

Oh, also retaining a full level of consciousness (although I find this attribute to be slightly over-rated anyway).

Wish me luck. WCPGW.

Cheers mate. Once I get the knackered subframe off I can just crack on with the underside clean up and paint. 

I just want to get the replacement subframe and engine/gearbox in so I can clear out the other lock up to get the Tacuma squirreled away in there.

This has been the slowest bit but nearly sorted.

The subframe has now vacated the Toledo :)

Delayed due to a stubborn shock absorber lower nut and bolt being rusty. 

Had a better look around the underneath bits, the N/S chassis leg will need a small repair but other than that, I'm pleased :)

Now to crack on removing the surface rust, rust killing and painting with POR15. 

Body colour paint will then be applied. 

Oh, also got to remove some bits from the dead subframe to re-use. 

Forgot to add this.

The front bit of the subframe has a couple of cup washers to hold the bushes in place, blah, blah, blah.

These were rusty as fuck.

There were also two larger washers, also rusty as fuck. I am not familiar with them, just wondered if anyone has any further info?

The normal one is on the right.

Subframe Cup Washers.JPG