Steve79 fleet - RX300

Steve79

5 minutes ago, Steve79 said:

I get offered all kinds of mad shit in this job from people who are giving up driving.

Was offered a 04 plate Vectra 2.0t SRi edition 100 last week with 38k on the clock for little £££

My Grampa had a 53-plate Vectra Edition 100 as a tow car. SG53FTY. Splattered a big pheasant with it and rebuilt the front end afterwards. He loved that car and still regrets selling it.

Had a chance to drive the CR-V properly today and you wouldn't believe it has 182k on it. It drives absolutely spot on with no thuds or clonks anywhere from the suspension or drivetrain.

Everything works, even the electric glass split tailgate. Feeling brave, I played sunroof roulette in the rain and came out a winner with it working perfectly.

However, I'm having somewhat of a dilemma. I really can't decide which I like more, the X3 or the CR-V. They both exude quality but of different kinds.

Thr X3 has the "hewn from rock" type of solidity, with comfy firm seats and decent switchgear which is sensibly placed.

The CR-V is the stereotypical 90's Japanese engineered quality, dull as fuck but will go on forever with little more than basic maintenance and nothing will snap off.

Yes the CR-V has better fuel economy vs the X3 being temp 4wd but I daily a V8 Buick so obviously that doesn't bother me. 

I can't keep/don't need both as I still have to collect the MGTF but I'm really having a hard time deciding which.

I'm tempted to run a roffle @ £25 a ticket or £1500 cash sale and the winner gets to pick which one they want (don't think that's ever been done before on here)

NEED HELP HERE PEOPLE!

22 hours ago, Steve79 said:

Had a chance to drive the CR-V properly today and you wouldn't believe it has 182k on it. It drives absolutely spot on with no thuds or clonks anywhere from the suspension or drivetrain.

Everything works, even the electric glass split tailgate. Feeling brave, I played sunroof roulette in the rain and came out a winner with it working perfectly.

However, I'm having somewhat of a dilemma. I really can't decide which I like more, the X3 or the CR-V. They both exude quality but of different kinds.

Thr X3 has the "hewn from rock" type of solidity, with comfy firm seats and decent switchgear which is sensibly placed.

The CR-V is the stereotypical 90's Japanese engineered quality, dull as fuck but will go on forever with little more than basic maintenance and nothing will snap off.

Yes the CR-V has better fuel economy vs the X3 being temp 4wd but I daily a V8 Buick so obviously that doesn't bother me. 

I can't keep/don't need both as I still have to collect the MGTF but I'm really having a hard time deciding which.

I'm tempted to run a roffle @ £25 a ticket or £1500 cash sale and the winner gets to pick which one they want (don't think that's ever been done before on here)

NEED HELP HERE PEOPLE!

Really into older BMs but keep the Honda. 

• Steve79 changed the title to Steve79 fleet - IT'S COLLECSHUNFRED TIME!!!

Very unadventful drive home from Redditch. Van is a 2013 Citroen Berlingo 725LX Airstream. It's an L2 which makes it the long wheelbase and has full height wire bulkhead and 3-seats. It drives perfectly and is very responsive despite only having 89bhp. 

It's a 1.6 e-hdi which means that it's got stop start. 

All leccy bits work including the Aircon and even has a factory fit Bluetooth headunit which can stream audio as well as phone calls. Even has full history.

Apart front a few minor scratches here and there and the odd scuff, it's really tidy.

The reason I'm buying this is that Middleton's, who who i was employed by until the start of January went into administration so everyone got made redundant. A few weeks ago and opportunity came up with their parent company (luckily financially sound) to go self employed and earn even more money. 

There is no mention of a cambelt being done so before I start at the start of next month it'll be getting a new cambelt kit and water pump, plus new discs and pads and a full service.

Happy with the fuel economy so far on the run back from Redditch. I'd be struggling to get 33mpg on the 2021 transit custom I had at Middleton's driving on the motorway20230210_174832.thumb.jpg.6e8f076d0781fdca286305039cf83301.jpg20230210_174836.thumb.jpg.6b901f6f7e51272445bb769494c31af1.jpg

20230208_103022.thumb.jpg.09b837c90598d0c982dbf17d3f9515c7.jpg20230208_103034.thumb.jpg.166419e4ea0a8200fa9b0eeae250399b.jpg

13 minutes ago, Steve79 said:

Very unadventful drive home from Redditch. Van is a 2013 Citroen Berlingo 725LX Airstream. It's an L2 which makes it the long wheelbase and has full height wire bulkhead and 3-seats. It drives perfectly and is very responsive despite only having 89bhp. 

It's a 1.6 e-hdi which means that it's got stop start. 

All leccy bits work including the Aircon and even has a factory fit Bluetooth headunit which can stream audio as well as phone calls. Even has full history.

Apart front a few minor scratches here and there and the odd scuff, it's really tidy.

The reason I'm buying this is that Middleton's, who who i was employed by until the start of January went into administration so everyone got made redundant. A few weeks ago and opportunity came up with their parent company (luckily financially sound) to go self employed and earn even more money. 

There is no mention of a cambelt being done so before I start at the start of next month it'll be getting a new cambelt kit and water pump, plus new discs and pads and a full service.

Happy with the fuel economy so far on the run back from Redditch. I'd be struggling to get 33mpg on the 2021 transit custom I had at Middleton's driving on the motorway20230210_174832.thumb.jpg.6e8f076d0781fdca286305039cf83301.jpg20230210_174836.thumb.jpg.6b901f6f7e51272445bb769494c31af1.jpg

20230208_103022.thumb.jpg.09b837c90598d0c982dbf17d3f9515c7.jpg20230208_103034.thumb.jpg.166419e4ea0a8200fa9b0eeae250399b.jpg

I was getting 55mpg out of our 1.6 Berlingo  (measured on saddo spreadsheet) overall - quite happy with that and the accessibility/loading space.

These are great vans, I recommended my mom to buy  one new in 2011, she still has it 12 years and about 200,000km later. It has been very reliable even with tough use, the only major thing that has broken was an egr valve.

The only thing about it is that I find it surprisingly uncomfortable for being French, especially the seats I struggle with. But that could just be me.

The problem with vans, particularly small vans is that most are overpriced and/or fucked.

Over the last couple of weeks that I have been relentlessly looking to find a decent one under £4k I have concluded the following almost without exception:

Van colour: if it's white it's fucked, if it's red then postman twat has smacked it into the kerb many times and it's fucked

Over 150k miles: fucked

Any Peugeot Expert: fucked

Combo/Doblo 1.3 diesel: fucked or will be soon

Ford Transit Connect: Rusty and fucked

Don't get me wrong, mine is by no means perfect. Clutch is a little higher than I'd like but should be good for another 15-20k but I've budgeted for that.

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

These are great vans, I recommended my mom to buy  one new in 2011, she still has it 12 years and about 200,000km later. It has been very reliable even with tough use, the only major thing that has broken was an egr valve.

The only thing about it is that I find it surprisingly uncomfortable for being French, especially the seats I struggle with. But that could just be me.

Nope - I'm 5.8" and every Pug/Citreon we've had (including the Boxer van) kills my right leg after a couple of hours unless I wedge a folded towel or something under my lower thigh. Only those cars - nothing else.  Crippling.
Just blank the EGR on these (unless it goes against your ethics)

23 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Nope - I'm 5.8" and every Pug/Citreon we've had (including the Boxer van) kills my right leg after a couple of hours unless I wedge a folded towel or something under my lower thigh. Only those cars - nothing else.  Crippling.
Just blank the EGR on these (unless it goes against your ethics)

I only have a lot of experience with 3 Citroen/Peugeot and the other 2 are fine. That is an Xsara which was comfy and dad's Expert which is surprisingly good but it is the newst version had 14 hours in one day in it this summer and survived.

I've always liked these Berlingos/Partners, good hardy vans capable of serious miles if serviced regularly, cheap parts and good mpg's. But as others have said I just cannot get comfy in them, I'm 6 3 and coughcough 20 something stone, so always thought it was me, interesting that slighter folk also mention comfort issues. The previous shape with the gearstick on the floor instead of the dash, no probs getting comfy in them.

Mind you I tried a Nemo when they first came out, wow the poor salesman had to cover me in goose grease and shove me in, I reckon I've been in bigger women!