Steve79 fleet - RX300

Steve79

Focus is an absolute champ. Only needed a couple of tyres and a headight resecuring for the mot. 

I'll get a claybar on the paint next week to tidy that up a bit and i should be picking up a replacement door and wing as mine are knackered.

I'll also be upgrading the radio and dash panel to the mk2.5 shape and get the sony dab unit fitted or i may go down the xtrons android touch display route.

I also want to check to see if mine already has the additional wiring fitted so i can put cruise control in.

• 2 months later...

The focus continues to do sterling service requiring very little in the way of maintenance to keep it happy.

It's been regularly depositing a small pool of oil on the road which was starting to get a little embarrassing. The exhaust had been also been kicking out grey smoke on full chat and whistling pointing towards knackered boost hoses.

Although bodily its crap, it's been a decent car so treated it to a full service and a set of silicone hoses as the old one were totally shagged.

Boost now full restored and also gained a few mpg's back.

• Steve79 changed the title to Steve79 fleet ramblings - COLLECTIONFREDDING!
26 minutes ago, Steve79 said:

Made it home in one piece despite the m25's best efforts.

Will update tomorrow morning as its dark. Didn't get back 5mins and I was despatched to collect dinner (or tea as we call in in brizzle)

16422681490496958691005811038689.jpg

Yep.

Breakfast, dinner, tea.

I've met people in my life who look bewildered when the evening meal is referred to as tea.

15 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Yep.

Breakfast, dinner, tea.

I've met people in my life who look bewildered when the evening meal is referred to as tea.

I think bristolians call it dinner instead of lunch because that what it was referred to when we at school. School dinners, hence dinner.

• Steve79 changed the title to Steve79 fleet ramblings - E46 on stilts

Pics for your viewing pleasure

20220117_110019.thumb.jpg.e90ff2ddb35c4415c9e5619aadbc11ad.jpg20220117_110025.thumb.jpg.72dc1d2d68411ce5a591882a3f30a565.jpg20220117_110034.thumb.jpg.90e5eabe83630299050ea9a9481a2cdb.jpg20220117_110041.thumb.jpg.ed298cd623330e4b5dfa151b4442c58e.jpg20220117_110052.thumb.jpg.b89882a89d56f24c42a00b7a0493b99b.jpg20220117_110058.thumb.jpg.9bfeb3b9c1a5de65674cb6299abf248a.jpg

It's been a while since I had a "modern" BMW and I've got mixed feeling about it.

It's got a massive amount of space and in general drives really well plus it's got pretty much FSH.

HOWEVER

The seats (this being the sport model) are VERY firm and not a patch on either my focus or my 21plate transit custom for comfort. It's probably just me but I've got my doubts that my back will still be in one piece after a long journey.

The ring gear lash from thr rear diff is very noticeable at parking speeds or when doing sharp turns. This is mostly to do with the fact it wearing budget tyres all round. The rears are newish but the fronts are right on the limit and perishing. With it being permant 4wd it really should have had them all changed at the same time.

Which leads onto the next point.

There are only really two brands of tyre that can be fitted to X3's becuase of the fine tolerances that the drivetrain was set up for. These being Dunlop SP01 or Pirelli STR's both having BMW's (*) rating which denotes OEM for their xdrive system. These are about £450 all in for a set of four. 

I'm happy to take advice and be proved wrong but there plenty of x3 owner on the net that have solved their driveline jerk by fitting a full set of these tyres.

Other issues are that i'm pretty sure the MAF is fucked as the first two starts of the key when cold result in an immediate stall. 3rd turn with pedal to the floor will start it but only rev to 4k. 

It will only rev to around 4k for about 15mins until its warmed up enough and then its fine.

Last issue is that yesterday it randomly decided not to start on the key. All lights were on but no-one was home. Turning off and on again a few time started the car. Again this looks to be a common issue across the bmw range at that time and can be solved by fitting a new ignition switch.

With the focus going this weekend to a a fellow Shitter I need this to be reliable.

I suppose I could always use the elantra when i get it as my reliable car!

Isn't that the autoshite way 😂