Steve79 fleet - RX300

Steve79

Ok, there's a bit of bad news on the saab 9000 base front. Myself and @rwd went to collect this last week and its in a lot worse shape underneath than previously thought. Time was pretty tight when i originally looked at it and a cursory glance and prod showed some rot but it didn't look to bad. 

However a more detailed inspection showed everything forwards of the rear quarter panels is in pretty good condition but everything back from there is totally fooked.

Its been parked on a steep slope for three years in long grass and water has gathered in the back panel and rotted everything out. What appeared to be a rust spot on the boot floor turned into a two inch hole when lightly pressed upon!!!

The outer rear arches are no longer connected to the inner arches and both rear chassis legs are holed. 

I've had discussions with the owner who was mortified that it had deteriorated that much in such a relatively short space of time and agreed that the car will be staying where it is and a refund was issued

Its not worth the expenditure as the estimate for sorting all of the issues including panels, is far in excess the value of the car. I would have broke it for spares but i just don't have the time or space.

The owner is now planning to either part it out himself in light of the poor condition or sell for spares. He's looking for around £120 for the whole car.

Fear not though, more unwise purchases will be on the horizon soon enough 😂

• Steve79 changed the title to Saab's et al - WE HAVE INCOMING!!! Deliveryfred
  • Steve79 changed the title to Saab's et al - Barge Delivery complete

That is excellent...More details please!

I keep getting more and more tempted by something like this...only really lack of space which has prevented it so far!

Slightly intrigued by the apparent presence of what amount to two check engine lights on the dash...On the same track, we better see that in the dash at night thread soon though.

Bet that's a lovely comfy way to waft around.

Had my first drive in it round the block with @sutty2006. Slightly unnerving as my only other exposure to LHD vehicles have been a fiat 500 in italy and a VERY knackered Maruti 800 in Greece about 20yrs ago!

You become very aware of how wide and long it is very quickly! 

Undeterred, i'm going for a spin up the dual carriageway to @rwd later to become more acclimated with it.

I keep finding myself looking out the window at it and smiling. MrsSteve79 is very MEH about it which is better than i'd expected 😂  

2 hours ago, Steve79 said:

Done

Thanks!

That dash really looks like it wants Rover 75-esque warm white or amber lighting to me.

This is probably the most appealing bit if US metal to me that's appeared on here recently... Though realistically I'd be hard pushed to justify it as an estate really would be needed for dog compatibility.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

That dash really looks like it wants Rover 75-esque warm white or amber lighting to me.

Thats what i was thinking. 75's have hands down, the best dash clusters going and i really loved the amber backlighting. I may see whats involved in getting the cluster out.

Breaking news!

MrsSteve79 is showing some interest in the Mercury. She has universally hated all of my cars bar the XJ8 which she loved (because modern) but i asked her earlier if she liked the Mercury?

"Well its not the most offensive car you've owned!" High praise indeed.

She even said she'd come for a drive in it!!!

13 hours ago, Steve79 said:

I don't think you'd want to push it beyond 85. The steering is so over-assisted that there is very little feel to it. 

I did once. I had the speedo hit the stop on the other side. The only real difference is the wind noise through the door seals gets louder. Steering was........fine. I think. 

Took the Mercury for a longer drive today for a few hours delivering xmas cards and to get a bit of LHD time in behind the wheel. 

I already feel a lot more confident driving it, especially in tighter spaces.

A few problems have raised their head in the guise of blowing from various parts of the exhaust system. In fairness, i don't think its the powerflow part, but more like the parts it joins to. 

It was fine before a brief period of "spirited" acceleration along the dual carriageway and now its blowing quite badly.

I'll leave it till the week after next as i'm off for five days and then i'll take it to my mates mot station and then we can get it on a ramp to see what we are dealing with.

Still, overall very pleased with it 😁

• Steve79 changed the title to Saab's et al - Calming the noise

With the farting noise from the Mercury's exhaust getting ever louder, i took it to my mates MOT place today to see what was what.

20201215_151221.jpg

20201215_151231.jpg

20201215_151256.jpg

20201215_151211.jpg

20201215_151214.jpg

Exhaust bodge no longer doing its thing and the whole pipe is VERY MUCH past its best. 

Also all exhaust rubbers are in dire need of replacement and it definitely needs a new rear diff seal.

Its got a longlife system fitted but only from the downpipes back so i'm going to need to peruse rockauto later to price replacements up.

• Steve79 changed the title to Mercury - Soggy

Having used the wet dry vac to suck up a good amount of water yesterday morning from the passenger footwell, i ended up having to do the same again today.

Time to lift the carpet

20201217_200126.jpg

Yeah thats not good! 

Luckily its only surface rust but one of the floor grommets is missing.

Tipping water down the drain point in the fan housing on the scuttle led to water trickling from here 

20201217_203619.jpg

There a flap on the other side of the drainpoint which is clear and free but it looks like mine is suffering a common panther platform issue where the foam gasket has failed and the water is re-entering through this and running inside the bulkhead and down through the fan housing.

The quick solution is to remove the passenger wheel and arch liner and silicone around the flap - definitely a job for better weather.

In the meantime, carpet is staying up and and towels are going on the floor.