Steve79 fleet - RX300

Steve79

If you open the bonnet and look up the corners of the scuttle plastics the drains are down the bottom there. I have cleaned them a long time ago. As me yeah, my exhaust bodge has had its day. Are silicone exhaust rubbers a thing? All those rubbers have lasted a lot longer than the others that place fitted for me. 

14 minutes ago, Steve79 said:

Having used the wet dry vac to suck up a good amount of water yesterday morning from the passenger footwell, i ended up having to do the same again today.

Time to lift the carpet

20201217_200126.jpg

Yeah thats not good! 

Luckily its only surface rust but one of the floor grommets is missing.

Tipping water down the drain point in the fan housing on the scuttle led to water trickling from here 

20201217_203619.jpg

If it’s any consolation the crown vic is a bit of a swimming pool at the mo. I’ve yet to really investigate but I’m presuming things are provably similarly laid out underneath 

3 minutes ago, HMC said:

If it’s any consolation the crown vic is a bit of a swimming pool at the mo. I’ve yet to really investigate but I’m presuming things are provably similarly laid out underneath 

Its identical to mine so if its the passenger side getting wet then you'll be having the same issue as me.

Sorry that’s caused a problem. That’s the problem when it’s spent it’s life in a lock up with me, not really seen a great deal of heavy rain. I remember clearing the drains after I washed it a while back and a bit of moisture got in (never used a jet wash on it ever again!) but thought I’d cured it. Was about 4 years go maybe more. 

On 12/17/2020 at 8:55 PM, SiC said:

Tbh I can't think of any car that's more than 20yrs old that I've owned that hasn't suffered from water ingress issues. Seems to be just one of those things that goes on any older car. 

Or you are just suffering increasingly from poverty - hence the >20 years old cars - and incontinence and are too embarrassed to admit it........

Didn't you also comment on how to get rid of a fusty smell in a car today?

Now we get the fucking truth!!

36 minutes ago, doubleyeller said:

Or you are just suffering increasingly from poverty - hence the >20 years old cars - and incontinence and are too embarrassed to admit it........

Yep I'm broke and poor, hence why I drive older cars. Not incontinent thankfully but I can let some ripping farts out if I want to clear a room. 

What are your tyres like? Giving you skid marks in your pants?

I tempted fate and checked Schrödingers towel. The fact that its now in the tumble dryer will indicate the success of the experiment - Bah!

It wasn't sopping wet though just a bit damp, which was surprising considering how much rain we had last night. 

In true autoshite style, I'm going to leave the towel in the footwell with a rubber mat over the top and then chuck the carpet back over it.

That way, it'll stop the carpet getting soaked and it'll be easy enough to retrieve the towel and dry it.

I'll sort the leak in a more permanent way once its a bit warmer outside, or i have access to my mates ramp in his workshop which will be early jan.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:55 PM, SiC said:

Tbh I can't think of any car that's more than 20yrs old that I've owned that hasn't suffered from water ingress issues. Seems to be just one of those things that goes on any older car. 

Yup. Chasing two on separate cars right now and ones only 13

23 hours ago, doubleyeller said:

My taxi company has a school run contract that involves picking up a 13 year old incontinent boy. We're not allowed to put a bin bag under where he's sitting as it might upset him. His classmate that we take to school with him is known to freak out if he finds any dust in the car, up to and including grabbing the wheel to try and get the driver to stop.

@Steve79 So the crown vic is as wet as ever in the front foot wells. I’m going to reseal the heater air intake grill on the scuttle, remove the heater fan from it’s housing and clear it out and check the drains in there - will let you know how that goes. We could be having similar issues with it.

We should start a club...this is my view for the first ten minutes before I leave the driveway at this time of year...IMG_20201219_143749.thumb.jpg.9663ae326a346809c30134f9cb38fbed.jpg

Now playing the "is water still getting in or is there still just damp in the interior?" game...

Sorting water ingress is a bloody pain.

The only vehicle not letting water in in my fleet just now is the 30 year old coach-built camper van for crying out loud!

Huggy is damp inside, always has been in the four and a half years he's been with me.  This week I've noticed there is mildew on the driver's seat.  Simply a result of not using him, I know, and I feel bad about it.  But I have nowhere to go and we're not supposed go anywhere anyway!  If we get a couple of nice days together I  think I will have to have a ride out to nowhere for an hour or so just to get some warmth into him.

23 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Huggy is damp inside, always has been in the four and a half years he's been with me.  This week I've noticed there is mildew on the driver's seat.  Simply a result of not using him, I know, and I feel bad about it.  But I have nowhere to go and we're not supposed go anywhere anyway!  If we get a couple of nice days together I  think I will have to have a ride out to nowhere for an hour or so just to get some warmth into him.

Most of mine are the same, it’s just damp from cold winter air and the cars not getting used. Even the Volvo is like it and that definitely doesn’t leak. I’ve been using those trays of damp absorbing crystals, two trays in each car, which seems to stop the damp and mildew.

Something like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Dehumidifier-Moisture-Traps-Convenient-Refillable-1000g-Crystals-Included/253769034226?epid=21021674935&hash=item3b15d029f2:g:NmgAAOSw9mlbVFU7

• Steve79 changed the title to Mercury - Chugga Chugga
  • 3 weeks later...

Facebook marketplace yielded more treasure today in the form of retro computing which involved  a 100 mile round trip.

Weapon of choice was the Mercury and it dispatched it with ease at the correct speed

4E820FB4-1728-4D56-A9C8-8036FF157D83.jpeg

It wasn’t all plain sailing though. I had the drivers window down 3/4 and decided the use the interior boot release button which is electrically operated.

Car all loaded up with goodies, I started the return trip. The only problem was that now none of the windows were working, the clock was dead and the fuel gauge was dead - Great

I had a brief fumble in the fuse box but as time was getting on I thought sod it and drove the hour and a half back home with the weakest heater known to man belting its guts out and the hood up on my winter jacket. Just as well as it was snowing most of the way home.

Luckily a more in depth rummage around the fuse box yielded a blown 20amp fuse which upon replacement gave power to the windows once more. Thinking about it, I’m pretty sure @sutty2006 said something about not using it - DOH!

Those hundred miles were dispatched in great comfort although the tyres are very much past their best as there was a brown trouser moment on a wet road where light braking provided little in the way reduced speed, just skidding.

Yup I did tell you not to use the big yellow button! Should have rang me dude I’d have told you about the fuse, oh well, now you know. It’s the boot release solenoid in the trunk lid that’s causing it I think. Time for a set of lovely white wall tyres now! It’s a big heavy car to stop with no ABS in the rain. 

Probably didn't help that i pressed it more than once! 😂

I'm not keen on whitewalls but i'm definitely investing in some decent tyres. I'm far too used to driving modern vehicles with ABS and the "shit shit SHIT!!!" moment i experienced when dabbing the brakes in the wet, combined with the lack of ABS and the sheer weight of the car was unexpected.

It definitely won't be wearing chinese death rings!

On the subject of vehicular improvements, i paid a visit to the local longlife exhaust centre just outside bristol 

20210116_114612.thumb.jpg.fd212d42faae0a528d5c8f2ac54fcbe6.jpg

Which housed some tasty treats

20210116_114604.thumb.jpg.f95a4c9bc61dadc4fecb69780adb3617.jpg

The cat crossover pipe and the right exhaust are very much past their best and are in need desperate need of replacement 

20210116_113829.thumb.jpg.67441c5b3110044d90bada4d51f42a32.jpg

20210116_113825.thumb.jpg.cc98d669400025653a0177225a059ab2.jpg

Most of the system is longlife already so it makes sense to replace the rest as such. I've been given a price of £300 if they delete both cats and add two silencers instead or £600 which will include two brand new custom made cats. 

I'm undecided of which route to go down. Much pondering to be done and will happily receive advice from more knowledgeable members.