MGFfle! £9 tickets - AnthonyG wins...

djoptix

18 hours ago, loserone said:

I'll keep mine, I've just filled out the V5 for Ken's old one.

Really sorry, can I drop out? Just had to tax the 205 for six months and buy a new V5..

Here are a couple of pictures taken yesterday morning.

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice the bonnet. Red MGFs seem to suffer from nasty lacquer peel. The original bonnet had a bit, and the bonnet off the spares car was worse, but it was all at the bottom of the bonnet. I swapped the bonnets over and sanded down the peeled lacquer - it had had a funny reaction in places, which meant I had to go down to bare metal - and sprayed it over with zinc galvanising spray. It's very much a 10 foot job - I might still satin black it instead which I think would look better. The winner can have the original bonnet too/instead, which has a patch of lacquer peel too, but is at least all red.

Wheel change; I put the VVC alloys (as shown) back on it, and then some fucker stole the 6-spoke TF alloys from my driveway anyway, so it will come on the 5-spoke wheels shown.

There's still some lacquer peel on the rear bumper, as you can see. I'm planning on swapping on the one from the spares car, which is in better nick.

IMG_20190704_075917.thumb.jpg.f22bf05ff713fdd28813d4de1f3ac845.jpg

IMG_20190704_075935.thumb.jpg.1c3ac294a66cfeb374fd1afcb57222b0.jpg

Meanwhile I have been getting on with other pre-roffle jobs.

I did the NS balljoints top and bottom in March. The OS top one was nice and easy thanks to my magnificent impact driver. The OS bottom one was an absolute bastard. At the factory the balljoints were riveted into the wishbones and the rivets are hard as a coffin nail. To replace the balljoint you need to drill the ends off the rivets (no access from either side to get a grinder in) and then knock them out with a cold chisel. These took two lengthy twat-it-with-a-hammer sessions and an overnight Plusgas soak to shift them. Done now though, and the new part comes with throughbolts and Nyloc nuts which are much more civilised.

There was very slight, but definitely there, play in the top OS balljoint, so I'm glad I did it. The bottom one was actually OK but I'd bought all the parts so I thought I might as well use them...

IMG_20190703_202631.thumb.jpg.e72415c562e90b6eec31e1309c5e450b.jpg

It is sir - meaning at present this is SOLD OOT!!

1843362279_ScreenShot2019-07-05at16_25_39.thumb.png.9efaa55149bbc8b9f920c894b8536733.png

However, I'm going to give it until the end of the weekend before starting the process, in case any other early-sign-uppers want to drop out. If we have a full list on Sunday evening then I'll get going.

So meanwhile, next job was to tighten the alternator belt, as it has been squeaking for a while.

The alternator is retained by two bolts, with the bottom one being in a slot so that you can adjust the position (2) attached to a plate which bolts to the block (1). Unfortunately the adjusty nut (2) is completely inaccessible.

IMG_20190703_205616.thumb.jpg.9bcaf4be67039240ef2b7db80fdcdc1e.jpg

I had a go at it with various implements but there isn't even one click of swing on a socket ratchet and an open spanner just looked like it would round it off.  The only thing to do was to remove the alternator and bracket from the car entirely, then free off the bolt.

It came off easily once off the car and I reassembled it with copper grease.

IMG_20190703_211307.thumb.jpg.dd5bb53e8672362aec94891fcfc7923e.jpg

Looks like the genuine original alternator too!

IMG_20190703_211315.thumb.jpg.12cbc4287680628803a9b9eb4d429720.jpg

Refitting is the reverse etc etc.

I'm genuinely looking forward to the prospect of this roffle actually going ahead. I guess the plan is payment requests sent out Sunday night and then hopefully draw Wednesday?

Never owned an F before but it's been on the 'to own' list for a long time.