MGFfle! £9 tickets - AnthonyG wins...

djoptix

post-7585-0-02984700-1555413585_thumb.png

Well, here it is, lots of fun has been had in this brilliant car but time and HMRC are on my case, so it has to go. Get ready for summer/ideal project/etc etc etc!!!

Headlines:

• 1.8 VVC with 52mm throttle body for extra zooms*
  • MOT until 24/03/2020 - registration is P69 FKN if you want to check up on it
  • Red leather seats
  • Decent hood and rear window
  • Surprisingly dirt cheap to insure - about £160 a year for me limited to 3k miles and that's with no NCB and my 9 points declared...
  • Loads of fun.

Stuff that came up on the last MOT, and the action taken, was:

• Horn sound not in accordance with requirements (7.7 ©)
    This was because of my hilarious* klaxon horn. I've got two horns fitted, you can plug in whichever you feel like (or both).
  • Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength outer sill (5.3.6 (a) (i))
    Now welded.
  • Electronic power steering warning lamp indicates a system malfunction (2.6 (a))
    The tester says that the light came on on the test drive but I didn't believe him. It's never happened before and hasn't happened since. I cleaned the PAS fuse under the bonnet anyway.
  • Offside Front Track rod end ball joint dust cover excessively damaged or deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (ii))
    Replaced the track rod end.
  • Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
    Replaced top and bottom balljoints on nearside.
  • Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds manufacturer's specified limits (8.2.1.2 (a))
  • Exhaust carbon monoxide content at idle exceeds manufacturer's specified limits (8.2.1.2 ( B))
    Although it did pass on the next test, they note "vehicle struggled with emissions". This is probably because before the test it had been laid up for several months. Since then I've driven 400 miles to Blyton and back, as well as hammering it round all day at up to the redline, so I'm confident the emissions will be in significantly better shape now.

I bought this from here about 18 months ago I think. Since then it's been a second car and has been loads of fun, and a brilliant first track car.

In daily use it's great to have the hood down, it starts first time every time, and is generally no trouble. On the current tyres it is bloody dangerous/loads of fun [delete as appropriate] on wet roundabouts. On track, in the dry on R888s, there are insane amounts of lateral grip and very little understeer/oversteer. The brakes are awesome, even though they are standard, though I did manage to get some fade within about 7-8 laps of really pushing at Blyton, which I guess is due to lack of heat dissipation; though on the day in question, the rear brakes really weren't working as well as they should, so it might just be that I was leaning on the fronts too hard.

Since I've had it it has had regular maintenance - a couple of oil and filter changes, plugs, etc. The winner can have their choice of wheels, either the VVC 5-spokes or the TF 6-spokes, plus a spare set of standard 6-spokes for track use if they want them (I'm keeping the tyres though). I'll also supply the original 48mm TB. I think I can detect a bit of movement in the offside balljoints so I will change those as well before it goes. It had a new bottom-half-of-downpipe-and-flexi-hose shortly after I got it as well.

Body wise, despite the welding required for the MOT, it looks pretty solid all round. There is some rust on the battery tray but otherwise it's pretty good; there's a spot on the bottom of the drivers' wing as well, shown in photos, but I have a spare wing to swap onto it so I'll try and do that before sale as well. All panels are straight with no significant dents or scrapes.

Mechanically it seems sound and everything works. The gearshift will never be as slick as an MX5 because it's cable operated, but it's pretty good. There are various aftermarket bits available to get the shift better, but I honestly haven't found it an issue; when the box is cold it's sometimes just slightly harder than it should be to find third, but once warm, this goes away. The heater is extremely efficient; you won't be cold, even with the top down.

Engine wise, I haven't had a K series before so I have nothing to compare it to, but I have no reason to think everything isn't OK, particularly since I've twice driven it to Blyton from Bristol (400 mile round trip) and done a track day and then driven home again. The coolant did get very hot on the track day last year, but it was an extremely hot day. The exhaust has a slightly "air cooled" note to it which might be a small blow at the manifold, but it's not a cause for concern, just pointing it out because it's there...

Bad points: 

• Not completely watertight. There is a drip in the driver's footwell and a couple around the hood, over the engine cover. I've never tried to trace or fix them.
  • No carpet - removed by urban_paranoia because they got wet and stank. I've replaced them with rubber mats which I like more anyway, and it gives it a more rough-and-ready feel when you sit in it... which I don't mind...
  • As mentioned above, it can be GR8 4 DRIFTIN in the wet if you're not careful...
  • Could probably do with the tracking doing since I changed the TRE.

Will add more details as I think of them. Any interest at £10 a ticket?

post-7585-0-44272300-1554463356_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-21681300-1554463377_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-55265500-1554463407_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-14702400-1554463418_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-16290800-1554463430_thumb.jpg

An MGF and a 420 both come up and me, serial MG-R licker, with an empty wallet, FFS.

I suppose the only consolation is it's staying in the fold so maybe I'll get a crack next time around

(also posted on the 420 roffle topic)

GLWTR