Cheap DPF equipped car needed! Suggestions please.

rickvw72

Hi, not gone mad here, last thing I want is a dpf in my life!

I work for a college motor vehicle department, and we need to acquire a dpf equipped diesel, less than a grand, for students to use.

Looking for ideas as to what to hunt for? Which diesels at that price range are plentiful? Anything for sale on here?

We’d be looking to buy in May if anyone’s selling.

It won’t ever go back on the road, so spares and repairs would be fine.

Most things from 2010 will be DPF if you can find one cheap. Some older runout models may still have no DPF (iirc Octavia's did)

Don't forget there is different types of DPF - especially the earlier ones. Some use fluids while others use injectors on a hot exhaust. The early French stuff (early 2000) were one of the first lot to have DPF and these used fluids. It seems like most DPFs have gone down the active regeneration by squirting fuel on the exhaust stroke to burn in the exhaust to regenerate. Probably the one to go for if using for teaching.

Look for cheap vectra C estate. All diesel estates have them. Besides it means one less vectra on the road.

I don't think the 2.2 dti had a DPF. I know many of the 1.9CTDis did. The equivalent Saabs had them early on, then lost them and then regained them. I believe partly in due to Saab not having enough filters during the production run meant they ditched them for a bit.

Wasn't compulsory to have them until around 2010.

I've got the C4 1.6hdi 2005 model up for grabs.i believe these have a dpf Still runs fine with its seized turbo. Mot until end of August and insured and taxed to get you home. Could also make a good project car for a body shop trainee???? it's in Coventry, full thread is on the sale section. £200.

407s, just not X-line or Zenith.

I had an X-line and got a cd changer instead of a FAP.

Although it did still have a dual mass flywheel. Which obviously broke.

Then because I was a plonker I bought another 407.

Although in my defense that one did have a fabulous red leather interior.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

The guy who runs the garage at my lockup has 10 plate Mazda 6 diesel. It has had DPF issues (this is the one that wouldn't regen as the oil was too high) but all the lights are off now. These are notorious for DPF issues so probably a good test bed.

I would imagine it could be had for under your budget. If you're interested I can ask him?

DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter. It sieves out the clag so children, puppies an nuns in inner city areas can breathe freely. 

https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/dpf.php

Aha !! I've heard of those buggers before. I did battle with Transport for London to get Mrs Tet's Pajero exempted.

Diesel Particulate Filters came up quite a lot in the conversation. I won in the end  :-D

Cheers for suggestions, I know from my days in the trade which Vw/ Audi, bmw stuff etc is so equipped. Not so sure on Japanese or korean, and which french shite is suitable. Post 2010 is a good shout, seen a few i30s and Kia cedes at the budget.

We’re probably not getting German for the budget.

Mazda 6 of 2007 vintage have them, and they like to rust.

...probably the ones the go for alright for less than a grand; with the rust; hard to get them even to pass a test here on their 1st test; aim for a low mileage rusty one; n take it for a spin (with college/garage insurance if its testless, or booked MoT) - if its got huge power; its possibly been 'DPF deleted' n remapped to fool the ECU's DPF wash cycle; about 140K mils (or less if it was just pootling about locally) is about when the DPF clogs up... ...one that's very cheap that in limp mode probably has an already clagged up DPF or bad injectors; might be a great learning curve depending on the objectives of the module...

....if you set yours sights on one them; Mazda 6; DPF is combined with the cat'  all in one can; cat element is at the front; DPF bit about 60% to rear; theres a thread on here where I fess up to scooping out the DPF (after unclipping the top n bottom heatshields), opening a window in the top n butchering out the DPF element), welding back in t'window, refitting heatshields  n a re'mapp laptop expert later remapps the car- it might still have the pics since they were on my old phone; n I don't have them anymore...

My old 07 plate Fiat Multipla has a dpf.I know that coz the bloody thing is always giving trouble!

Its got a perfect body and interior, runs well with less than 90,000 on it from 2 owners. But needs some bits for the MOT, rear arm bearing and tyres, plus its due a service.

The best news is I live in Birstall and it can be super cheap.

£300 sound interesting, oh and could even deliver it next Thurs if you need as I have a hired trailer that day...

Peugeot 607 HDIs will be under a grand and had a DPF from the start.

I had one and the eolys fluid ran out.

I managed to refil the eolys fluid and reset everything myself but if it actually runs out you need a Peugeot diagbox setup to reset the counters.

If you have diagbox you can also do a manual DPF clean which is entertaining.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-VAUXHALL-ZAFIRA-DIESEL-ESTATE-1-9-CDTI-LIFE-5DR-NO-KEY/392270626441?hash=item5b5526be89:g:cOAAAOSwfeZcpKDX&frcectupt=true

£150 in Essex and having owned one I can safely say the DPF on these is a complete bag of wank - constantly clogging up and putting the car in limp mode.

Works by diesel injection to the DPF.

....if you set yours sights on one them; Mazda 6; DPF is combined with the cat' all in one can; cat element is at the front; DPF bit about 60% to rear; theres a thread on here where I fess up to scooping out the DPF (after unclipping the top n bottom heatshields), opening a window in the top n butchering out the DPF element), welding back in t'window, refitting heatshields n a re'mapp laptop expert later remapps the car- it might still have the pics since they were on my old phone; n I don't have them anymore...

Jesus, a factory CAT alone must be about £2-£2.5k, with the DPF built in it must be, what, about £5k to replace?

A good example of a conventional DPF-equipped engine is the Volvo D5 found in late ‘Phase 2’ cars like the S60 and V70, around 2006/7. These are well-engineered and have lots of goodies for experimenting with, like actuated inlet manifold swirl-flaps and variable-vane turbocharger. A cloned diagnostic interface box and software (Vida-DICE) is reasonably priced and gives good access to the engine controls.

Squirrel2