Reconstructing the Complicated History of the Forum Bike Red Jaguar XJ6 3.2 Sport

Broadsword

Having taken back ownership of the well-known, well-roffled, forum bike red Jaguar XJ Sport, I've had an idea.

So I think when I get the V5 back this time it will read 15 previous owners on the front. Good effort I think, but how many of those owners were of this parish? Well many in fact, but I have lost count even though I have a keen interest in the vehicle. I remember that I purchased raffle tickets 3 or 4 times probably. There have been more roffles than I can remember. It could be one of the most complicated histories any of the cars on this site has.

Now is your opportunity to participate in the first Autoshite rip-off of "Who Do You Think You Are?" as we attempt to trace the family tree of the Red Bike. Here's how you play:

To all previous owners of N118 MFV, let us all know when you owned, for how long, it and was it by roffle or outright purchase. Give us your thoughts of the car. I will then keep tabs on this post. I will keep updating this post as we build a more complete picture.

The list below includes everyone who has physically had the car at their home. Due to the unique way Autoshite works the Jag has, on a few occasions, changed hands faster than the V5 could keep up, so the number of owners on the V5 doesn't reflect this list.

Current owner:

13. Eddie Honda as of May 1st 2019 by outright purchase

Previous owners:

12. Broadsword as of 31st March 2019 by outright purchase after a confusing roffle. Amazingly Jazoli won the car back from Bangernomics, but things were swapped back and then the car sold to me.

11. Bangernomics (bought outright March 2019, Manchester)

10. Jazoli (bought outright January 2019)

9. Broadsword (bought outright November 2018, then got distracted by an XJR6, East Riding of Yorks.)

8. RobT (November 2018?, London)

7. HMC (just a brief visit at his house, Devon)

6. bramz7 (not sure when, was this a roffle?)

5. Prepace (bought outright September 2018, Cambridgeshire)

4. SiC (won by roffle August 2018, Bristol / Newbury)

3. Tickman (won by roffle May 2018, Dundee)

2. sporty-shite (won by roffle off Fat Pirate April 2018, Bolton)

1. Original owner on Autoshite was Fat_Pirate (bought with money November 2016, Hampshire)

Original thread of the car

http://autoshite.com/topic/26522-jaguar-xj6-executives-only-beyond-this-point-please/

If owner's add their location I can even do a map to see where the car has been.

post-20621-0-83390000-1554150449_thumb.jpg

I won it from Fat_Pirate on 14th April 2018, and re-roffled it at the beginning of May, when it was won by Tickman, from whom I bought the Clio, in a twist of logistical luck!

All I did was collect it, and drive it for a few days, but I just couldn't gel with it.

It was a bloody lovely thing, though, just not my cup of tea. 

Bramz and Then i ‘owned’ it, for such a short consecutive period that we never appeared on the v5- just before robt’s stint.

Bramz7 had it (he literally collected it himself from the keeper prior to him and pretty much drove it straight to me) I swapped it for the Fabergé Saab 900 that I had off holbeck

The following day I swapped it for robt’s (formerly bramz) Renault 19

I technically owned it for what amounted to less than 24hrs and never drove or even sat in it; just looked longingly at it.

All I did was collect it, and drive it for a few days, but I just couldn't gel with it.

It was a bloody lovely thing, though, just not my cup of tea.

Funnily enough I really loved driving it and enjoyed the time I owned it. Also one of the bucket list cars I always wanted.

However it made me realise I'm possibly not a Jag XJ man. I much preferred the Saabs I had to the Jag. Jag was too wafty and boaty around the corners. Saabs aren't the top notch in handling stakes, but they do corner pretty well. Especially compared to the Jag.

I'd have another Saab but I don't think I'd have another Jag. I had been seriously considering a XK8 but I don't think I would like one now.

I won an eBay auction for it back in late November 2016.  It belonged to a pig farmer who'd owned it for several years but rarely used it. The advert was useless (2 photos taken in the dark), but I'd gone and had a quick look and it seemed solid and unmolested.  I got a bit carried away and paid around £1200 which seemed strong, but I didn't have time to chase about looking at others (the vast majority of which seem to be basket cases).

I replaced all of the upholstery (for £70) as the driver's seat was badly worn and the other seats had scratches (dog/perhaps pig :) ). The doors, boot and windows were all a bit erratic until I sorted them out. I put a very fancy audio system in it and it was a nice place to be for my winter commute.

This time last year I fancied a change but it failed to move on Autotrader or Car & Classic (the latter brought a lot of phishing messages, btw), so I removed all the audio and roffled it here (still lost about £500...).

I won an eBay auction for it back in late November 2016.  It belonged to a pig farmer who'd owned it for several years but rarely used it. The advert was useless (2 photos taken in the dark), but I'd gone and had a quick look and it seemed solid and unmolested.  I got a bit carried away and paid around £1200 which seemed strong, but I didn't have time to chase about looking at others (the vast majority of which seem to be basket cases).

I replaced all of the upholstery (for £70) as the driver's seat was badly worn and the other seats had scratches (dog/perhaps pig :) ). The doors, boot and windows were all a bit erratic until I sorted them out. I put a very fancy audio system in it and it was a nice place to be for my winter commute.

This time last year I fancied a change but it failed to move on Autotrader or Car & Classic (the latter brought a lot of phishing messages, btw), so I removed all the audio and roffled it here (still lost about £500...).

Thanks for the backstory and for your fine work on the car Sir. You did a great job with the interior! It's strange then how it hadn't been used much but has escaped rampant rust.

Funnily enough I really loved driving it and enjoyed the time I owned it. Also one of the bucket list cars I always wanted.

However it made me realise I'm possibly not a Jag XJ man. I much preferred the Saabs I had to the Jag. Jag was too wafty and boaty around the corners. Saabs aren't the top notch in handling stakes, but they do corner pretty well. Especially compared to the Jag.

I'd have another Saab but I don't think I'd have another Jag. I had been seriously considering a XK8 but I don't think I would like one now.

I love classic Saabs. I grew up in them. Never got near a 900 turbo though, which I would like to do one day. I had an XK8 briefly last year before flipping it at a disappointingly low price as it was rot free. It it the most beautiful car you can buy for the money in my opinion. You would have to be kind of daft to want one these days given how many pitfalls there are (rust, gearbox, timing chains, rust, electrics). I would quite like another one though, but bought with extreme caution. Pacific blue with tan leather is the best combo. Amazing car.

Thank you all for the contributions. I have updated the first post accordingly and I think we have quite a good picture already of the history. What an adventure the Jag has had.

One more thing. Whoever took the original radio out, I still have it and would like to try and reinstate it. Can't find the code though. Does anyone have it anywhere?

Also a question to Fat_Pirate. Has the steering always been heavy?

Isn't the screen buggered on that radio? Looked it to me when I looked at it.

Steering was heavy when I had it. I just put it down to being normal. Did Jazoli ever try replacing the servotronic relay module?

Isn't the screen buggered on that radio? Looked it to me when I looked at it.

Steering was heavy when I had it. I just put it down to being normal. Did Jazoli ever try replacing the servotronic relay module?

You might be right as regards the radio. Just had a peek at it. Screen looking a bit dark, but I haven't tried to feed it any power. I believe Jazoli did try spare Servotronic relays and it didn't make a difference. Thing is that it hasn't got any worse and there are no leaks. I don't mind the steering like that though.

FV has it starting out life in the Preston area. Although if owned by a fleet, the issuing reg district is not always an indication of where it spent its early life, just more of the location of the dealer that undertook the first registration.

I have an Essex registered felt vehicle that spent it's like in the Dorset area looking at the service history, MOT history

How many owners did it have until it 'Biked It' onto our radar

On 4/6/2019 at 12:06 PM, Isaac Hunt said:

FV has it starting out life in the Preston area.

It was first registered in Bolton, at Mead Jaguar. I was going to take a picture of it outside the original supplying dealer, but thought tit might have been a bit geeky. Wish I had now, as the dealer has now moved, so the original site is empty.

• 4 years later...

Just thought I'd pop in and add a little update to this. I have loose involvement in this with it being a friend's car belonging to Tommy.

After a seized front alternator bearing, subsequent bursting of a heater pipe put it out of action for a while and 3 MOT passes later, rust has finally caught up with it.

Nearside front floor / jacking point / inner sill:

IMG_20230806_103220_GuICk2dn7L.thumb.jpeg.29511c1056aff9032be04a346e01499d.jpeg

Offside front floor / jacking point / inner sill:

IMG_20230806_103300_OCcl7yDe2U.thumb.jpeg.84605d391cd8f27b046a3eaac74b299f.jpeg

Going to have a think about it, but will probably fire the welder up.