On the hunt for an XC90

Springer

The 'thing' is...I just have no real desire for the Outback, sadly. They just don't do it for me. A bit like the A4 Allroad,... a tad jacked up but no real clearance, The A6 on lift will go clear of serious stuff. My mate and I took the tape measure out last year and measured his Freelander 2 against my A6 on lift...there were a few mm's in it in the Allroads favour.

Had a cracking XT Estate decades ago so nowt actually against Subaru. I'll just wash my mouth out with soap now and say that I much prefer the current shape of Outback to the noughties one

Still fancy the XC90 mind but having a discussion with the owner of a same age Allroad as mine with less than half the miles His is pov spec and I'm trying to mentally work out how to transplant all my high spec goodies into that one should I take the plunge. 

Mind fried.....lol.

Sounds like you are me a year ago. I do know what you mean about the newer outback, the 00's outbacks are pretty anonymous looking, bordering on weird, and when I bought it I had really strong buyers remorse that I didn't get the other car I was looking at at the time, which was an Audi allroad biturbo but it has really grown on me. I think this is because it feels like more of a tool rather than a prestige car so I've gotten really confident throwing it at rough tracks in a way I don't think I would dare had I got the Audi. it also feels like a real sleeper and is the most powerful car I've owned by, like, 100hp so that helps. 

Of course I imagine the volvo is perfectly positioned to be the best of both worlds but I've no experience of one. Good luck with your search!

Its not just fragile gearboxes to be wary of though as mentioned in They_all_do_that_sir's thread on the modernz board.

Rising oil levels on DPF equipped D5's can mean dilution of the already piss-thin megabucks 0W30 oil with lashings of diesel during re-gen cycles. 

Was up to 750ml to 1 litre needing tedious removal through the dipstick tube of my D5 V50 every 6 weeks. Non-DPF types also available as I'm sure you've noted.

That and the questionable gearbox reliability have put me off what would otherwise be a perfect work hack for me.