On the hunt for an XC90

Springer

As may have been noted elsewhere I have an interest in buying an XC90. That changed today to a real want for one. I've lost the patience and love for my A6, c6, Allroad and all it's gearbox issues, which is a shame as it was the 'perfect' package for me. WBAC can have it now as far as I care.

Missed a good one 10 days ago but I;m still looking. One of slight interest just south of Glasgow, 07 plate geartronic, facelift. Serviced every year but on average 28k miles done between services.

This morning a 55 plate popped up a few miles away. 118k miles and manuel flavour,,,I was much excite. Tayne duly called and we headed out. I was expecting a bucket of shite- but hoping beyond hope that it would be decent. My former thoughts were confirmed. Yeah a few wee scarpes and dings...but wouldn't have been a deal breaker. No service history and generally uncared for. It needed; new front discs and pads, centre exhaust pipe was corroded af just as it joined the very new back box. Drivers side window regulator was borked. On test drive whilst the owner was driving it I felt something wasn't right in the rev range on gear change. On driving it myself my fears were confirmed....slightly slipping clutch. Bite point on same was so high that a breath on the clutch pedal would have made it slip.

I politely declined and walked away.

Those are the negatives. I realised that the XC90 is a car that I'd actually very much enjoy owning. I loved the D5 engine and it's growl. It was responsive and handled like a much smoller car. Comfortable and quiet. Reality is that when I find a decent one in my meagre budget it will be a geartronic. I'd prefer maneul but they are rather rarer. I don't necessarily mind an autobox, I've had a few, but my recent trials with the A6 has rather put me off them for a while.

I have a cash budget of £3k - maybe a few hundred more and don't want to be going to the other end of the country from Aberdeen to view cars that turn out to be total buckets.

I'm rather hoping the SVM will put they're heads together and help me join them :-D

As may have been noted elsewhere I have an interest in buying an XC90. That changed today to a real want for one. I've lost the patience and love for my A6, c6, Allroad and all it's gearbox issues, which is a shame as it was the 'perfect' package for me. WBAC can have it now as far as I care.

Missed a good one 10 days ago but I;m still looking. One of slight interest just south of Glasgow, 07 plate geartronic, facelift.

You're sick of Audi gearbox issues, so decide a Volvo famed for shiteing it's gearbox is the way to go?

You're a braver man than me!.

In all seriousness... i'd avoid anything but a manual. I like XC90 as well, very handsome and capable machines but the amount out there selling as spares due to gearbox issues (especially the geartronic) is more than telling. They only come in 2 flavours, broken or almost broken.

You're sick of Audi gearbox issues, so decide a Volvo famed for shiteing it's gearbox is the way to go?

You're a braver man than me!.

In all seriousness... i'd avoid anything but a manual. I like XC90 as well, very handsome and capable machines but the amount out there selling as spares due to gearbox issues (especially the geartronic) is more than telling. They only come in 2 flavours, broken or almost broken.

I get exactly where your coming from. That said, there are plenty geartronics out there in diesel flava doing mental miles. The geartronic box seems to have got it's bad rep whilst mated to the petrol engine - guaranteed to go bang! That said the 'sealed for life' pish is the major downfall in any auto box.

As I said, really want a manuel, but they are few and far between!  There is one 60 miles away with a good history but a grand more than I can currently afford. Grrr. It's green though so best run away, lol.

Your sounding a tad grumpy tonight Mrcento...have you been attracting even more utter fuckwits to your ad for the Disco??? :-D

Sealed for life = Sealed for the life of the manufacturer warrant when new. Have seen what comes out of the auto Disco boxes when they've been flushed, it's mental they even last that long, no wonder so many go bang!.

I'd honestly reckon all that have done mega miles are on their second or third box, many had theirs replaced when the vehicle itself was worth more and it was viable.

As for my Disco. it's no longer advertised anywhere but here, i'm enjoying the lack of fuckwittery!

Sealed for life = Sealed for the life of the manufacturer warrant when new. Have seen what comes out of the auto Disco boxes when they've been flushed, it's mental they even last that long, no wonder so many go bang!.

I'd honestly reckon all that have done mega miles are on their second or third box, many had theirs replaced when the vehicle itself was worth more and it was viable.

As for my Disco. it's no longer advertised anywhere but here, i'm enjoying the lack of fuckwittery!

The annoying thing re the Audi is that I had its box flushed and refilled and not inconsiderable cost at Bavaria in Aberdeen last May.... it was just a tad sluggish prior to that and went down hill rapidly after that change.....hey ho. The old girl has full main dealer sh from new,,,,,just a shame that Audi didn't think to service the box equally well...wankers, lol.

TBH, I'd not even looked at Subaru as I was under the impression that they were in the habit of grenading their engines in spectacular fashion?

Just the diesels.

im Aberdeenshire and have a volvo xc90 coming in soon...also a love for subaru....

A++ seller of Subarus. The one my dad bought from there (before I even joined this forum and knew who kinkersaab was) is still going strong a good 5-6 years later.

KinkerSaab got a website or something to take a look at what's available?

I imagine a business in this day and age would have a website, yes.

I think it's called Banchory Used Car Centre, but not 100% sure on the exact wording of it.

~I have an i believe one owner forester 2.5 xt in pre" trying too hard style" on a 55 so cheap tax and in manual with perforated wing back leather ..a very rare beast on a 126k and had rear inner arch grot done... its a little frilly on edges and looks like it needs love. Is coming from typical subaruie in his 70's old gentleman from money type …..

There are different flavours of the Geartronic autobox.

One was sourced from GM and modified by Volvo, this variant is prone to failure.

The other was the Aisin Warner gearbox, which came with 5 or 6 gears depending on age, these are more reliable.

The T6 had a reputation for eating gearboxes.

i have an 04 XC90 D5 with AW gearbox, 5 gears. Bought it 8 years ago,

I love it, solid, comfortable, good fuel consumption for a big SUV. 

the only trouble I've experienced is with the lock up solenoid when towing with a heavy load and uphill (I tow a few times a year). This causes crap fuel consumption and loss of the cruise control and manual gear selection function.

The fault unlatches once the ignition is turned off and on again and the gearbox service required message can be turned off with an ELM327 OBD tool.

Much cheaper than buying a new gearbox.

Other similar AW gearboxes can be found in the Porsche Cayenne and other "up market" marques.

+1 for checking out an Outback if a suitable Ovlov doesn't show up. I've the 3litre and it has been tediously reliable at all haulage duties while retaining a hefty dose of GLF when you want it. High tax bracket mind. 

I'm used to being raped for road tax with the A6!!!