Rover 218D. - - - No further updates.

DoctorRetro

Corrr that’s grim. Are you going to tidy it up with a few aerosols over the summer or retain its existing character?

No, it's too far gone for tidying.

I did manage to sort the tyre situation out by swapping with someone who's car is sitting waiting for restoration. 

post-26798-0-58183500-1554550889_thumb.jpg

See my frills... 

post-26798-0-70002700-1554550980_thumb.jpg

I really don't give a shit. It is road legal. And I don't drive like a tit, so round here, the police don't really bother you.

Sorry, that comes across a bit crappy.

I mean, if policeman was to follow me, they'd discover the car was taxed, MoT'd and insured. And if they were to pull me over, I'd have a polite chat with them about the car, and say that if there was anything they weren't happy with, to point it out and I'd be happy to change /sort it.

I've been pulled over once in the last 13 years in Essex, and it was probably because I wheelspun out of a junction in my Volvo, and they happened to be behind me.

They said they only pulled me over because the car wasn't yet registered in my name, so the address was miles away (Wales)

We had a good chat about old cars and I went on my way.

So I don't have any issues with the police being interested in my car.

You do realise driving this on the road will make you a police magnet?

I got tailed in the 220Sli and that actually looked less shonky...

They probably knew who you were, and were concerned for your state of mind due to you driving something so modern.

I like this. Did you actually pay money for it? Not saying I wouldn't, but...

If only rimmers did Mb style stick on chromed arches. Mercedes switch to a water based paint system in the late 90s and early 2000s certainly kept that little industry going.

I've got some aluminium tape that would be ideal for a snazzy repair.

Looks much better without the grille. Put it on eBay... Why not see how much you can make by pulling bits off and selling them... and in the meantime keep running it.

Is that a thing? Practical breaker?

I like this. Did you actually pay money for it? Not saying I wouldn't, but...

I've got some aluminium tape that would be ideal for a snazzy repair.

Looks much better without the grille. Put it on eBay... Why not see how much you can make by pulling bits off and selling them... and in the meantime keep running it.

Is that a thing? Practical breaker?

Yeah, 200 quid, but MOT is until Jan 2020, and mechanically sound albeit tired.

I've already found a buyer for the black plastic that is there instead of the wood trim on the dash, apparently they are desirable in the R8 world...

Picked up a set of Vauxhall Combo steels for cheap, but went to fit them and found out one tyre is a different profile.

How dangerous is it to have different profiles on the same axle? 175/65/14 and 175/70/14.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190409_174855.jpg

From the MOT requirements:- Tyres on the same axle must be of the same structure and size.

ie illegal to mix sizes across the axle.

It's less than ideal.

Here's a partworn Conti 65 profile for £18 delivered to your door. Slip a few pound coins to your local, back street street tyre place, and Bob's your uncle.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264266056593

My local place does them 20 quid fitted, I was more asking for curiosity as opposed to actually doing it. Always wondered why it's illegal, and if scientifically 5mm out would make much difference.

Slap the other size on the rear - drag it around until you swap it. IIRC the actual rolling difference is less than 1mm or so……

That really is a pile of utter shit! Very well done……. to go with the post apocalyptic build - a simple black tide line for now and heat/oil the bumpers and it'll improve it no end. 

when do you get tractor tyres to go on the steels? There's quite a lot of 'em over here as they use them for autocross...…….