Rover 218D. - - - No further updates.

DoctorRetro

Been messing about a bit, mostly with stuff I had lying around and with a lot of influence from my 7 year old son, who thinks this is so cool!

I'm not happy so far, I think the wheels are a bit too nice, and the overall look is too 'forced'. But we will see how a few weeks dirt and paint peel make it look.

post-26798-0-66262300-1555164782_thumb.jpg

post-26798-0-84242400-1555164822_thumb.jpg

post-26798-0-69501700-1555164859_thumb.jpg

In other news, I finally dared look under the boot carpet to find the wooden wheel cover had mostly disintegrated. Also found remains of some sort of ariel. Perhaps an ex - taxi? Might explain the mileage. 

post-26798-0-42451600-1555164977_thumb.jpg

post-26798-0-91879000-1555165034_thumb.jpg

Spare wheel is ropey as fuck, but surprisingly still holds air.

post-26798-0-24978600-1555165104_thumb.jpg

And finally, some interesting tell-tale holes in the centre console..

post-26798-0-30117800-1555165174_thumb.jpg

I’d be more concerned about the cops pulling you in for being a serial killer by the look of the car.

I like it. It’s one of those cars that says ‘I really couldn’t give a fuck’.

Park it outside a country pub next to some PCP financed Audi’s and watch their faces as you erratically manoeuvre into a space next to theirs.

Could do with a radiation symbol.

The Vauxhall steelies make it look more contemporary. No surprise as Rover steelies look rubbish from the R8 onwards with the honorable exception of Streetwise steel wheels.

Personally I'd Khaki green it with various ambiguous number codes stencilled along with the bio hazard symbols. Like a latterday hatchback green goddess raised from MOD slumber to freak people out.

I’d be more concerned about the cops pulling you in for being a serial killer by the look of the car.

I like it. It’s one of those cars that says ‘I really couldn’t give a fuck’.

Park it outside a country pub next to some PCP financed Audi’s and watch their faces as you erratically manoeuvre into a space next to theirs.

I've encountered a lot less road bullies recently, oddly enough...

How did you know I was a s.... Oh, wait you mean I look like one. :D

As for the car itself, nothing too dramatic to report. 

Done a couple of hundred miles and although it feels utterly fucked, it also has an air of unkillable-ness too.

Brake caliper squeaks on one side, brakes feel 'oval' so either a warped disc or a drum issue. Pads are newish, and work well, so not too worried. 

Headlining is hanging down

CD player doesn't work

Gearbox feels loose and vague,

Boot smells of damp

Both mirrors are smashed with universal ones stuck over.

Engine is loud and knocky

Exhaust is blowing.

Steering has a 'click' sometimes. 

Drivers window clunks before moving.

I'm sure there are loads more if I looked...

:D

I'm pretty sure the wiring in the boot is from a Taxi roof sign or "bubble" as they were known as when I tried to earn a living as a Cab Driver in the  late 90's when 218's were the unobtainable dream of  very inexperienced Owner Drivers  of Montego 2.0's such as myself.

If Sky one make a second series of Curfew I reckon your car will take centre stage in every scene.

Hope it lives for many years to come, it deserves to be immortal.

In other news, I finally dared look under the boot carpet to find the wooden wheel cover had mostly disintegrated. Also found remains of some sort of ariel. Perhaps an ex - taxi? Might explain the mileage. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20190413_110352.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20190413_110358.jpg

And finally, some interesting tell-tale holes in the centre console..

attachicon.gifIMG_20190413_110344.jpg

Looks like the remains of a car phone to me.

Crack on son, looks like a right laugh to me. It needs a huge whip antenna.

Your wheels - your way...….. it actually looks a lot better than it did! You're doing it wrong!

Wire mesh grillage needed for windows - front possible? I'm sure if you get hold of Nightmares or one of the guys in the workshops down there - you'll be sorted in no time. Mark would love this type of shite…..

Plod on soldier…….

Your wheels - your way...….. it actually looks a lot better than it did! You're doing it wrong!

Wire mesh grillage needed for windows - front possible? I'm sure if you get hold of Nightmares or one of the guys in the workshops down there - you'll be sorted in no time. Mark would love this type of shite…..

Plod on soldier…….

Mark is more of a serious modder nowadays, not sure this sort of trivial thing would interest him. :D

There is mesh on the rear windows, just haven't figured out a way to do the front properly as yet.

I've been on one of my long drives to collect my littlun tonight, and the car survived, but definitely doesn't inspire confidence.

Traffic issues led to a massive detour, round country lanes and then sitting for a while queuing to get back on the A12.

Temperature gauge read suspiciously hot after that, so I kept to 60 the rest of the way.

Exhaust is blowing even more, the right caliper is squeaking like crazy and shoes feel terrible.

Starting to wonder how much of a good idea this car was, but it's not like I can do much about that right now...

It only just looks like a Rover.

Removing the grille is the main thing I think.

But generally it's feeling much more generic Jap. 

I would kind of assume that more Japanese than British cars will survive the apocalypse - maybe the paint etc is playing a kind of psychological trick.

Sorry to hear that it's not performing quite as it did from the factory.