Rover 218D. - - - No further updates.

DoctorRetro

These 218D Rovers were really popular with the more thrifty Medway and Gravesend Taxi drivers around here back in the 90's.

I was a self employed ex Peugeot dealer tech at the time and used to do a lot of quick turn around cambelt changes for them.

Am i right in recalling some of these didn't come with power steering ?

Yep, no S in the model badge is base. About the only thing more miserable than this spec is the launch spec 214 - no letters. It had a 1.4 single cam K-series with a single carburettor and manual choke, 13" steels, and you didn't even get the two tone grey lower band...

Saw this on Facebook as someone was trying to swap the alloys for steels? 

Looks grim but solid, have fun with it. R8s are great but I don't know anything about diesel ones as I ran Honda engined ones as cheap alternatives to Civics.

Yep, no S in the model badge is base. About the only thing more miserable than this spec is the launch spec 214 - no letters. It had a 1.4 single cam K-series with a single carburettor and manual choke, 13" steels, and you didn't even get the two tone grey lower band...

Saw this on Facebook as someone was trying to swap the alloys for steels?

Looks grim but solid, have fun with it. R8s are great but I don't know anything about diesel ones as I ran Honda engined ones as cheap alternatives to Civics.

Yeah, that's me on Facebook. This car doesn't suit the alloys, it would have had steels, so I'm swapping them.

Just so any Rover lovers are aware, I will be having some 'fun' with this car this summer , and turning it into something like this...

01-defiance-dodge-charger-chicago.jpg

For once, I don't feel like I'm 'ruining a decent car' . If anyone disagrees, feel free to buy it off me!

Ah, the good old rusty plastic.

Not so much the rustiness, there's already plenty on the car without creating more.

Just the Post Apocalyptic look. Which is very different to 'ratlook'

I'll have you know this is the last green over tempest grey Rover 218D left. How dare you destroy history!!?

Nah, at least you're having fun with it and saving it from the fragger for a bit, I'd suggest not messing with the suspension, I don't think lowered suspension suits the post apocalyptic look. Also it won't be rendered undriveable.

I'll have you know this is the last green over tempest grey Rover 218D left. How dare you destroy history!!?

Nah, at least you're having fun with it and saving it from the fragger for a bit, I'd suggest not messing with the suspension, I don't think lowered suspension suits the post apocalyptic look. Also it won't be rendered undriveable.

Lift it. 

MOAR TRAVEL=MOAR GRAVEL 

Just so any Rover lovers are aware, I will be having some 'fun' with this car this summer , and turning it into something like this... 

attachicon.gif01-defiance-dodge-charger-chicago.jpg

For once, I don't feel like I'm 'ruining a decent car' . If anyone disagrees, feel free to buy it off me! 

Very much agree with this. My days over lowering everything are over*

I just spotted a bubble 200 outside my chippy. No letters after the badge, no wood inside and plastic wheel trims etc. Could that too be a base?

These base models on here are my not-so-guilty pleasure. Might need to make an offer and get in on the action!

Nope, R3s didn't carry engine/trim level badging.

Just some questions.

Is it meant to knock like a banana transit at idle? I thought the xud was a bit more refined?

A bit of a jerk when the engine is turned off, like a wheel suddenly being stopped by a giant hand?

Bearing in mind I've not owned a diesel car for many many years, and it does have close to a quarter of a million miles on it :D