Toyota Starlet (1996 vintage)...Who has owned one, what are they like??

volvoman

Oh wise Shitters of the forum, Ive been offered a 1996 Toyota Starlet, an im pretty sure im about to buy/pull the trigger on this quicky little thing. Some of you guys must have owned one or two of these Starlets in your life time, so what better place to get some real life experiences/opinions.........By all accounts, Starlets are supposed to be quite good???

Ive never owned/driven one before, so its all new to me. Its a 5 door, 1.3 CD, manual, factory Alloys, 75 000 miles, El. Sunroof/Front windows, long MOT, service history/paperwork, straight body, no rust, same family owned for at least a decade blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

....................and go.

A girl I went to college with had one when we were both about 18 and I bought it off her about 7 years later when she was trading it in against something new. It was lovely, drove really nicely, peppy little 16v engine and quite comfy for what it was. Hers was an S I think so it had power steering and nowt else, so manually locking/unlocking 5 doors was a bit tiresome but that's all. It's a Toyota so they don't really break down but I'd imagine the back of the sills etc will be getting crispy now.

A girl I went to college with had one when we were both about 18 and I bought it off her about 7 years later when she was trading it in against something new. It was lovely, drove really nicely, peppy little 16v engine and quite comfy for what it was. Hers was an S I think so it had power steering and nowt else, so manually locking/unlocking 5 doors was a bit tiresome but that's all. It's a Toyota so they don't really break down but I'd imagine the back of the sills etc will be getting crispy now.

Cheers for your input, i forgot to mention, this has central locking and power steering! Im guessing the CD model had all the mod cons of the day.

Its had a small weld on passenger side door sill, but the rest of the door sills are solid.

Brilliant ! Get it bought

I got it bought.

What he said!

Awesome* round a track and down the dragstrip as well

Yeah, it drove well, nippy little thing.

^

What he,and he,said.

Cheers.

A mate had one. A pink one it was, it was surprisingly quick for a 1.3.

They’re one of those cars though that people keep until they drop so a lot of them thar end up for sale are bollocksed.

I did a search for em, an found that pink colour Starlet...i dont think i could live with that colour...i cant bring myself to even wear a pink tie/shirt/trousers!

This ones not bollocksed...Interior is minty fresh, everything works etc.

That looks fun...long time since i went to a "drag meet".

GIB

.... end

Its bought.

Dollywobbler owned one!

I thought a few more owners would come fourth with their "Starlet Stories"?

Well done.... See you at autotest!

I had to search Autotest :oops: :oops: :oops:  Im such an old fart, i know nothin!

I have to say, this nimble little Starlet drove well...i kinda drove it faster than i needed to :roll:

The gearbox/gearstick is sweet an tight, the clutch has very little travel before the off.

If im honest, it put my Micra Dot to shame (a little).

A colour that seems to haunt me though..............................yep...its bloody RED

Any pictures mister?

Not yet...i havent had time for pics!!!!!!!!...Its been "all hands on deck" in the Volvoman's household...Ive been playing "Mr Mom", cause my daughter had an emergency C-section, so wife/daughter/baby all at hospital, whilst im doing the fuckin house chores, an looking after twin Grandsons etc.....................This womens work aint easy shit!!

So any car stuff/photos are put on hold for now.

I didn't like mine to be honest. Found it bloody uncomfortable and so joyless that I abandoned it in Glasgow on the way to Shitefest Aberdeen and caught the bus...

Nice one...Ive never abandoned one of my own cars..............but in my youth???!!!

I enjoyed our old one, quite a trashy thing really and being the SR with the lower factory suspension and lower profile tyres it handled well too. In the end the revvy engine started to irritate me a bit and got the itch for a change again.

I'd certainly put it on par with a K11 Micra as a recommendable cheap little car.

0571e1ee30d69747b18c29929d3b8fa2.jpg

Kev's ex-girlfriend used to own a faded red one. Zero maintenance and generally abused, it still performed effortlessly.

They do seem to have a reputation, with people using words/phrases like -  Bomb proof/Low maintenance/Ultra reliable etc.

I enjoyed our old one, quite a trashy thing really and being the SR with the lower factory suspension and lower profile tyres it handled well too. In the end the revvy engine started to irritate me a bit and got the itch for a change again.

I'd certainly put it on par with a K11 Micra as a recommendable cheap little car.

0571e1ee30d69747b18c29929d3b8fa2.jpg

Nice one, Black, an a 2 door version.

When i get a chance, i will take some pics of both my Micra an Starlet(side by side).

Shit...........................is that an early Honda, next to your Starlet?