Collection, Fred - Now Honda Jazz Hands thread EPIC MOT FAIL

Slartibartfast

Snagging list:

Rear brake calliper needs replacing

Exhaust centre section needs wob or replacing

Airbag light is on

Bad wheel wobble between 65 and 85 MPH. Either needs new tyres, balancing or both.

No aux in. Either need to fit one or replace head unit.

All in all, not bad for the very smol price.

Anyone changed the calliper on one of these before? Big job?

Airbag light: I deactivated* the passenger side airbags when we had it so the baby could go in the front. I reconnected them and turned off the light but maybe check the connections?

The passenger airbag connection is behind the glovebox and the seat one is under the seat. I did try to scotchlok a resistor into the car side wiring on the passenger airbag to make the light go off, probably worth directing your attention there.

For light clearing I used an eBay special DS150 knock-off which was about £30.

Hey, You're welcome to use mine Slarti, I have that exact one, and a laptop you'll be familar with the make and model of.

Happy to come over and wob up the exhaust (not just so i can have a go with the quickjacks) and we can have a look at the caliper. Whats up with it? Just sticky or badly knackered? Sorting the sliders might make it happier and thats cheap/easy.

A whole new caliper is do-able but conceivably £60+ rather than £5 for some slider grease and a packet of biscuits for sustenance.

Nice wheels though, we nearly got one of these for family duties a few years ago but got beaten to it.

Have you tried swapping the wheels back to front and see if the wobble goes away/changes at speed?

Oh yeah, I still have that Kenwood (?) DAB head unit and amp from the disco taxi in the garage if you wanted them back? They won't fit either of my current cars

PS, well done for achieving 85mph.

I actually got it up to 100 on my private test track. It's a sprightly little thing. Just need to rev it hard and keep the gears low to make progress.

Stanky- that all sounds like a fine plan. The brake calliper is weeping a bit of fluid. I've just gone off Dave's recommendation that it needs changing.

No Aux as far as I can see. I can see the panel where it should be. Apparently you had to pay for it. Not hard to fit though by the looks of things. Hardest bit is getting to the back of the head unit.

Exhaust mid-sections stress crack on the brackets welded to the pipe.

Aux-in is standard on MY2006 cars I think. I did get the wiring out of one in the scrappy, but it was a bit of pain in the arse retrieving the loom bit. I'd suggest it's probably easier just go for the plugs each end and rewire. Being a lazyarse, I haven't fitted mine yet and just use a ciggy lighter bluetooth FM thing. The standard CD/Radio is fine and works with the steering wheel controls. Price for a double-DIN fascia adaptor was about £40+ last time I looked.

Honda Aux-In

108198_IMG_1347.jpg

or a homebrew version:

43552d1501331645-done-aux-diy-photo.jpg

post-19900-0-55933700-1554173139_thumb.jpg

post-19900-0-05628800-1554173149_thumb.jpg

108297_hj-auxjack.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm, Did the man from the ministry go into any detail about the leaky union? Is it a case of nipping it up or more involved brake line work? Did they say if the actuator seal can be replaced by itself or if its new (ouch) caliper time?

Sounds like it wants brake pipes which are fiddly but not expensive, a caliper, suspension arm and a backbox? I reckon the backbox is do-able on the quickjacks, brake lines are possibly a bit more bastardly depending where they go, especially around the fuel tank. Have the garage quoted for the work?

Was nice that they noticed and clearly appreciated our artistic efforts with the exhaust paste though. Maybe stick a gold star next to that on the certificate? Do you know where the hole in in the backbox as that could potentially be wobbed up too?

Calliper , couple brake pipes and exhaust . Sounds ok to me

Oh and a front arm bush

Calliper, brake pipes and £2 on gungum first.

As others have said looks worse but root cause is all probably mainly the same area/brake line/Braking so not like theres a ton of different things wrong.

http://autoshite.com/topic/24385-honda-jizz-gd-115k-miles-2018-nct/

Piece of cake that lot.

Has it had it's airbag recall done? There's a VIN checker on the Honda site.

On original exhausts, the mid sections tend to go ahead of the silencer where they weld the brackets to the pipe. The rear sections usually fall off a the weld to the flange. Aftermarket exhausts usually last considerably shorter lifespan (a friend had 3 back boxes in 5 years)

Brake pipe ends easy enough to do, just remember to tighten the steel side up enough... They only go because the last 8" are uncovered.

Sorry to hear this mate, hope you can get it sorted easily.

For what it's worth I think the leaking from caliper and hose may be the same thing, because of the position of the hose it may look like the hose is leaking, but I was pretty sure it was just the caliper:

6e318087a5b5cad5788e3d5c163d4e34.jpg

The only mild concern for me would be the emissions, maybe with the exhaust leaks fixed and an Italian tune up it will be OK? Did you get a printout to show how far off the emissions were?

If you don't already have one, I use this type of tool for flaring pipes:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183643990246

Can also do the steel pipes on the car but requires a bit more arm power.

Best way is to just cut off the crusty end and flare a union on, and replace just the rusty bit.

• 1 year later...

Update, since it's been a while.

I ran out of time to do the work to get her through the MOT myself, mainly due to an unexpected house move. So I ended up paying a mechanic to do it. It was Not Cheap. He ran new brake lines front to back and replaced the exhaust and cat. Then later on the infamous EGR valve issue presented itself (and may have been responsible for the poor performance Dave experienced). Since then Nina (as my daughter named her) has motored along no bother. I occasionally get to drive her and she is an absolute hoot. Unfortunately daughter has a black box so I have to behave.

Today I replaced the rear drivers side light cluster due to an unfortunate reversing incident.

20190913_193955.jpg

20190711_211435.jpg