1986 Volvo 340 DL

Captain Mainwaring

Nowthen, shiters. Just thought I'd share some pics of my '86 340 DL, my third Volvo 300 series.

20180605_191543.jpg

20180131_105156.jpg

20180605_191657.jpg

If it looks familiar to one or two of you, it's because it's practically identical to my last (CVT) 300 which also graced these pages, albeit with one crucial difference:

20180225_131559.jpg

:-) 

Had really fancied another 1.4 manual after my first one bit the dust in about 2006, but before I moved house I didn't have space for a second car.

The above-mentioned Variomatic was my daily smoker for a while but I couldn't get along with it, I dunno if it was knackered or what, but it didn't feel right and I sold it on.

I know they're a bit weird to drive for the uninitiated, with the engine winding up while you're slowing down and vice versa, but nah, wasn't for me.

I actually first saw this car at a local car show, had a right chinwag with the owner, nice bloke. He mentioned he'd been wanting shut of it because 60s stuff was far more his thing, he'd only picked this up because he saw it at an auction and couldn't resist it. Alas, he said he'd a buyer lined up it, so that was that. Bah.

Few months on, and I'm idly flicking through the pages of carandclassic, and what should pop up but this filthy little strumpet! I was straight on the phone. Same bloke, he said the previous buyer was a no-show so he'd just decided to hang onto it for a bit longer. So now here it is with me!

I've had a few bits to sort out on it, and I think the carb wants adjusting (not by me, I hasten to add), but overall she ain't looking bad at all!

Ta for looking, be gentle!

That's gorgeous, that is. 

My dad bought an '87 1.7 GL saloon in blue grey flavour in 1993 and ferried me and my brothers about in it when we were toddlers. I have very fond memories of being mesmorised by its headlamp wipers before I was old enough to wipe my own arse. The heated front seats once made my nan think she'd pissed herself. 

Good times. 

Loved my C reg one of these and to this day feel a dick for scrapping it over persistent running issues I'd now know how to solve some ten years later.

Being 1985/86 does it have recirc air? I believe that was the bonus win on all models for that year. It's a quirky vacuum operated flap over the bulkhead that usually stops working but makes a fun pssssssh noise.

I remember mum having one of these in the late 90s as a “stop gap” car. It was dark grey, 3 door on a D plate if I recall. Didn’t have power steering so it didn’t take long till it was traded in against a 6 month old jeep Cherokee

Thanks everybody!  :-D

Whats it like with only 1400 cc to pull it along?

As Spiny Norman said, you're not going to be burning people off at the lights, but they're quicker than they have any right to be. They're fairly willing from standstill, although as the tyres are laughably skinny, cornering at anything more than 5mph is suicidal. I've just ordered a couple of new tyres for it, and the tyre bloke asked if they were for a caravan.  :mrgreen:

Being 1985/86 does it have recirc air? I believe that was the bonus win on all models for that year. It's a quirky vacuum operated flap over the bulkhead that usually stops working but makes a fun pssssssh noise.

Certainly does! And yeah, it's fucked.

I've just ordered a couple of new tyres for it, and the tyre bloke asked if they were for a caravan. :mrgreen:

I had a similar experience ordering 4 new tyres for my Rekord. “That’s an odd size, are they for a caravan?”

Cheeky git

Nice, the 300 series hold value, their prices are on the increase for sure.

Back in my 240 estate days, the wife wanted to learn how to drive! so what did i buy her?

A green 340 hatch (what else!!!)...but..............................i opted for the bloody auto (CVT) jobby!!! that was fun to drive :shock:

It had some rust to the body too, so i got some green/yellow duct tape, an just covered up the small rust hole, which was on drivers door.