Themostat?

23rdian

Evening folks,

Just after a few opinions on the following. Had the Skoda Fellatio parked up for a week or so. On driving it down the road after just a few minutes the temp very quickly went to just under red. Pulled over, gingerly checked the water level (it leaks). It was a bit low but there was some in.

By the time I turned it back on again, the temp had dropped to normal and I drove it around at bit and it was fine.

Parked it up for a few hours, so engine again was cold. Did exactly the same again.

This is about 5 minutes from cold, just before the heater is felt, when it does it seems to come on fine and stay on. The temp returns to normal levels.

Am I right in thinking this is the stat taking too long to open?

Surely not OMFGHGF? If not, will driving it like this for a few days be the result?

It could be the thermostat, either jamming or opening too slowly, like you say.

It could also be an air lock, possibly from combustion gasses entering the cooling system.  You say it leaks coolant, is it actually using it?

Mrs RR has a Bini diesel.  It has a head gasket leak (I'm pretty sure about that..).  It uses coolant, but otherwise the only other sign is the heater going cold.  If you undo the cap/ go over a bump/ turn one way or t'other, mysteriously the heater starts working again.  No overheating but it does pressurise the coolant and, as said, uses it.

Thanks for the reply. Its actually leaking. I had a quick look a few months back and can see it running down the back of the block. It's been like this for 3+ years I just top it up. The heater seems pretty good as long as there is enough water in there.I will order a themostat and hope for the best I think.

Put your hand on the rad. If temp gauge is past the middle, and rad is cold, then the thermostat hasn't opened. Infra red temp measurers thingys are brilliant for fault finding things like this- you can actually follow the hot coolant flowing through the hoses when the stat opens...