Austin Maxi

keef

Well known advertising trope - use small people in ads to make your product look big.

Gauntlet was BL's used car  trade dealer guarantee - indemnifying a 3 yo Marina must have been fun after a mauling from the first owner. I bet there are some tales to be told...

I wonder if the guy in the Jeep survived - it looks precarious just standing still - it's Noddy's cousin....Big Crash.

Fuel tank in front over the engine and little chain on the door.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 6:49 AM, bunglebus said:

Couldn't get the reg of this two tone one today

Screenshot_20201012-204741_Gallery.jpg

That would be RAR 540L which is used as a background car for the film and television trade. Originally plain blue but later became two-tone (perhaps a partial vinyl wrap or something to cover up rust?). It can be seen in A Very English Scandal and Court Arthur Strong before it received a two-tone paint job.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the maxi was the 1st car i drove after passing my test, the college had a fleet of barely legal cars for the yts boys to fix, practice etc on. now back in 92 this maxi wouls hadd been barely 15 years old and it was regularly welded and fixed. as a rookie going from a nearly new micra to that, aye i learned how to drive that day... weird thing now is that most off our fleet is older with a lot more miles on the clock. perhaps it is an experience thing, 28?? years driving means you can jump in anything and drive it

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 11:38 PM, Austat said:

That would be RAR 540L which is used as a background car for the film and television trade. Originally plain blue but later became two-tone (perhaps a partial vinyl wrap or something to cover up rust?). It can be seen in A Very English Scandal and Court Arthur Strong before it received a two-tone paint job.

Oddly enough I watched the safari park episode of Count Arthur Strong last night and even Mrs P commented how she liked the blue car he had.  It looked to be in cracking condition

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

That two-tone one featured in an episode of Endeavour, last series I think as set in 1972 or 73. A fleet of minicabs was involved in the story, at least 2 Maxis which were then filmed in a way that implied the cab firm had 4 or 5.  

The Maxis appeared quite a bit as the minicabs were integral to the story, I remember the rather odd two-tone colour scheme which would have been very out of fashion in the early 1970s.